Van Morrison "Into the Music"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the pope ondine, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering what the board thinks of Van's 1979 release "Into the Music". For my money one of Van's most underrated albums. Particularly the second half suite of The Healing Has Begun....thru It's All in the Game. Vocally I don't think Van was ever in better voice or as inspired during those songs and a rarity in that the live versions from side 2 never really matched the lp cuts in power (for me anyway)
    Impressions? If you haven't hard it check these tracks out below:

and
    Van Morrison - It's All In The Game/You Know What They're Writing About (Lyrics) ยป

2. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I've always loved this album, probably in my top 5 Van albums. I finally grabbed a NM original vinyl copy a couple of months ago and it sounds excellent. I agree about his voice.

- Buck

Davmoco, The MEZ, Dennis Metz and 3 others like this.
  3. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Brilliant album.

Side 2 is the best album side of any album I have heard. :)

4. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Simply wonderful,
    Thanks for posting.
    I keep all of his albums.
    Cheers

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It may be my favourite...well, Moondance is number 1, bit ITM is so great!

Yep, second fave of all. Full Force Gale! Bright Side of the Road! That side 2 suite!

The MEZ, Frosst and Favre508 like this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's my second favorite Van album, after Moondance. And while it has no songs as great as on that album's first side, there's an evenness to the music that's very satisfying.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    ddarch, Frosst, Sherman and 1 other person like this.
  7. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I rate this above Moondance, great as that is, and part of what I find to be a purple patch in the Van catalog, including Wavelength, Common One, Sense of Wonder. When it came out I was seriously into Van and thought it a bit bland initially but over the next couple of years it grew on me immensely. Love it.

8. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

One of his best. Side 2 is as good as any side of Van.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Moondance, Saint Dominic's, Tupelo Honey, Inarticulate and Into The Music would be my top 5

Dennis Metz and The MEZ like this.
  10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

There was a time when Van live on a good night was a religious experience across generations.
    This is a great album with a great band.

Biff1, ddarch, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The album that got me ''into'' Van's music. Great mix between short and catchy songs (Full Force Gale!) and longer, lyrical works in the ''Van Morrison" style. An album I still can enjoy from the first track to the last.

ddarch, Chemguy and live evil like this.
  12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

This is on "The Wish List" for me... especially after hearing "And The Healing Has Begun" on The Essential....

Rickchick and ohnothimagen like this.
  13. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

This album is more evidence that Van is The Man.

The MEZ and ruben lopez like this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think Moondance and Astral Weeks are his best albums. Two of rock's greatest, all these years on. But below them are a string of very fine albums that come very close. Into the Music is certainly in this category along with St Dominic's Preview, Tupelo Honey, His Band and his Street Choir, Too Late To Stop It Now, and Common One, and slightly ahead of Veedon Fleece, Hard Nose the Highway and Avalon Sunset. What an amazing discography.

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Great band mates from that period. I love the horns,
    it doesn't get any better than PeeWee Ellis and Mark Isham !

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's my favourite Van Morrison album, it's full of great songs sung and played with passion aplenty, it's also the first album of his I ever bought back in 1980.

17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

It's my favourite Van Morrison album too even through he has released some truly amazing pieces of music throughout his long career.

My collection is missing some fine Van albums released after 1979, but I have all the albums he released up to and including "Into The Music".

The MEZ likes this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

absolutely, when he's on its amazing. He gives me religion :tiphat:

The MEZ, telecode101, Chemguy and 2 others like this.
  19. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Great, great, great album. Comparable to his earlier peak output. "Angeliou", "And the Healing Has Begun", "It's All In the Game", "You Know What They're Writing About" comprise about as good of a side as Van has ever laid down. Utterly transcendent. Incredible vocals, fully invested in the songs. This is VAN THE MAN. No coasting, no detachment, nothing rote or by the numbers. Out of step with the times and thus essentially timeless, complete in its own universe.

Biff1, Dai, ddarch and 10 others like this.
  20. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Love it!

The MEZ likes this.
  21. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Love this album. Not as good as Veedon Fleece (but then nothing is) but the closing 20 minutes of the album is transcendent. Someone mentioned it above but when Van is at this level it is almost a religious power. I also have love for Inarticulate Speech and Common One.

ddarch, Chemguy, Rickchick and 2 others like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Among his best albums, for sure. I'd rate Veedon Fleece, Astral Weeks, Moondance, St. Dominic's and maybe No Guru No Method No Teacher, above it, but that's about it.

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"And The Healing Has Begun":righton: As far as I'm concerned, Van Morrison rarely gets better than that, boys.

24. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Top 5 Van album,there was a time when i listened Into The Music on a cassette for hours and hours and hours and all i wanted to do was roam across the fields:agree: yeah;i got healed!

25. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Underrated?
    Maybe in a community of deaf people

samthesham, Chemguy and ruben lopez like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.