" VENOM " - movie and comic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I am once again in the hospital, which gives me an excuse for not having seen the movie " VENOM " yet. Despite poor critical notices, it's been a hit...even despite Sony getting chickenstuff about it by keeping it at PG-13!:mad:
    It's part of an attempt by Sony to make a " B " Marvel Cinematic Universe " all their own out of their holding the movie rights to Spider-Man a and related characters. due to the contracts Marvel signed back in the day before Iron Man I:love:. Who next - A Guy Named Joe? Hypno-Hustler? Mindworm? The 90s good-guy version of the Green Goblin. Robbie Robertson's son (I think) the Prowler .The Gwen Stacy clone? :evil:
    Venom was rather a creature of that 90s " kick-ass " period and, when he was switched to Not-That-Bad/Anti-Heri
    O, an evil-er Venom, Car age .was introduced to fight him - which the ending of the Venom movie sets up. There was an e sleds 90s crossover story, " MAXIMUM CARNAGE " with Spidey and Venom team teaming up against Carnage. I never had all of it but I like what I saw, 90sness and all, and thought it the past it could make a good basis for a Spidey movie.
    Recently ..he current " VENOM ' title is on my pull list - may e the only Marv Universe title so at this present time:evil:.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They can't make a PG13 Carnage film. He's a psychopath who kills people in horrible ways. It would be pointless to make it PG13 but given the success of Venom and the inevitable sequel I can see Sony trying to do this.

Kraven The Hunter looks like it is happening, which could be great, and we have the animated film at Xmas which would introduce the concept of the Spiderverse.

melstapler and Encuentro like this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They made a PG-13 Alien vs Predator movie, so anything is possible, unfortunately.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’m very interested in seeing Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. I would love to see Sony run with Miles Morales and open up their own cinematic universe, completely separate from the MCU.

melstapler and The Hud like this.
  5. WLL

...I saw it a week-and-a-halfish?:eek: ago, when out of the hospital. I am back in again:cry:. Fun. I yelled " I WANT TO EAT YOUR BRAINS! " (say, there's a song by some Limey band from Manchester or Sheffield or something whose title scans sorta similar-like to that:confused:) a number of times!:D
    It even had, despite being not a " real " Marvel movie, a Stan cameo:cool:! I wonder if this might be, chronologically, the last one he will/has film/ed:sigh:? Cheerful ol' me!:yikes: Eddie Brock's gf had an apartment in one of " those " super-hilly San Fran streets - Not, I guess, the " Full House " one:nauga:. When Eddie moved from his gf's to a cruddy apartment in (I guess) Chinatown - it was sure a pretty ROOMY cruddy apartment:love:! Did one of the car chases involve the same hill that was in " WHAT'S UP, DOC? "?:pineapple: I've lived in Essence Eff s large number of years from 1997 on, and may yet go back - But, my handicapped-ness and the hilly and the fact that I might land back in the sorta cruddy Tenderloin/upper SOMA...But, it's sort of " the old home ' to me, too:sweating:. Anyway, unlike much of SF being so used for locations, bar the Philip Kaufman " INVASION OF THE BODYS SNATCHERS" (and Stevo's apt. in " BULLIT "), it's relatively virgin territory:unhunh:...

6. WLL

...Of course, the Hammett tradition, I guess, leads to umpteen mysteries being set in Ess Eff...The Venom pic, in turning him from a killer to a " protector of innocents " (SPOILERS!) have him rather kill/ massively injure good/normal/representatives of authority people, breaking the " rules " - the various people he latched on to and squeezed dry, and the presumably " good " S.W.A.T. cops in that skyscraper lobby - Not to mention the people caught up in that car chase! The mercenaries for that Evil Multi-Death Corporation, though, were fair game:tsk:.

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Didn't rock my world. Never a favourite Marvel character. Only went 'cos the wife was keen. It was OK. This morning I'm struggling to remember anything outstanding from it. The minor scene with Michelle Williams as Venom was acceptable. And, for obvious reason, the Stan Lee cameo was poignant. The car/bike chases were too fast & intense. It was a chore trying to keep my eyes all over the screen to catch everything happening.
    Won't be counting the days till the DVD release.

melstapler likes this.
  8. WLL

...The movie, I later read, was supposed to be taking place in " a Spider-Manless universe ":eek:...but a certain Colonel Jameson turned up!!!:D;)

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I liked it.

Loved the motorcycle race.

10. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Saw it the other week and thought it was decent, but nothing great. Probably in the lower quarter of all Marvel movies. Dialog wasn't great and surprised how bad Michelle Williams was in it. But did like Hardy and the action/effects were good. Would have loved what an R version would have looked like.

11. WLL

...I bought the DVD at " Tar-jay " t'other:). It was on check-out stand display ( Say, I'm an (implied) poet and I don't know it:nauga:!!!!!!!!!).
    . I'm in transit now - and, in fact, in the hospital again:shake: - so it's still in it's shrinkwrap.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Never really been a fan of these comic book based movies though liked a few of them.
    But this one takes the cake.
    This has to be the dumbest/worst movie I have ever seen.

13. WLL

...Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?:laugh:

I'd be interested to hear how you disliked it, what turned you off about it!:nauga:

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I enjoyed this film a great deal whenever Tom Hardy was on-screen. He is terrific. And,
    of course, Jenny Slate....:love:

15. WLL

...I use this post as my doorway to this board:yikes: --- so, I thought I'd add to it:wave:!!!!!
    Just now, a saw a post outlining that now, even in wake of the Marvel-Sony liaison-splutsville-can't you kids???:love: soap opera, Spider may - Or, may not - make a cameo in VENOM 2 (Doesn't anyone use Roman numerals for sequels no more? The closing of the American mind!!!:mad:(
    I've dropped the comic from my pull list - though the art was good, story pretty I rereading, too many Big Events/crossovers, really:(.

16. WLL

...JOKER outdoing the subject here for an October opening - October, a month for bad-ish guys!:D - gives me an excuse to add to this line:agree:. But wait'll 2011:laughup::edthumbs:!

17. WLL

..." wait'll 2021 "!:realmad::shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.