VERY budget DVD's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was in my local 99 cent store this morning. There was a bin loaded with DVD's. The discs were packaged in very thin cardboard covers with 3 color title covers. Some Laurel & Hardy, Bonanza episodes, Dick Van Dyke show ect. and many features. I'm sure many of the films are in public domain, it seems to me that some are not. Although some of the titles were produced orignally in color these were, according to the label, B&W copies. I should have spent .99 and checked out the quality. (can't be good and the packaging wasn't even up to boot leg standards) Next time I'll pick one up and make a better list of the films.

Steve

2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yeah, they have "Road to Bali" and other seemingly public domain films like that in those bins. Usually crappiest of quality.

JEFF!

3. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I purchased a DVD of "Road to Bali" in a bin that was marked 3 for $10. It was mastered from a pretty decent print, as the color looks very good and it sounds OK. It was packaged in a clear case. The distributor is Diamond Entertainment.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have a Diamond Entertainment DVD of Carnival of Souls and Horror Hotel which have also been mastered well.

5. BradOlson

I have a DVD set featuring "Bells of San Angelo" in black and white on Platinum although the label says "Color" but I have a Madacy DVD set with the movie in color.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

99% of the time, if you go with MADACY your in for a disappointment...a junky company indeed! Diamond, Platinum & Brentwood aren't bad, occasionally you'll get a surprise...I believe Diamond uses other DVD's as Masters...that's why their Carnival Of Souls looks good, rumor has it they used the Criterion.

7. BradOlson

The Madacy DVD with Bells of San Angelo is well done with the surviving color print that exists.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:laugh:

I guess Miracles do happen!;)...After getting screwed with their TV stuff...I stopped purchasing their product. I'll gamble on saying, nearly all of their stuff is mastered from 3rd generation VHS tapes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.