Very few choices in digital players?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are few low-budget, entry-level offerings of this (there are many for video, but none for audio). Something that is plug 'n' play, plays FLAC in Hi-res (and the usual mp3). From USB pendrives and hard-drives. Maybe with network connectivity. I'm talking about a component with RCA outputs, not portable DAP.

We have Pioneer, Denon HEOS or Yamaha that offers some nice network players (with USB inputs). However, they're expensive.

Onkyo has a nice entry-level CD player ($200). Sony has one too, that is even cheaper ($150). But there aren't any digital audio players in this price range!

Yes, one can use a run-of-the-mill blu-ray player but they don't have analogue outs! The same happens with some video streamers like Roku.

There is Chromecast Audio, but, for me, USB inputs is just as important as networking.

I like what Sony has done with their mini-systems; they have an USB input that you can use and navigate even with the small display. That's what I'm talking about!

It shouldn't be too difficult to make a low-budget digital audio player with a small display and analogue outputs!

eric777 likes this.
  2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Fiio X1 first generation is $79 on Amazon. This is the cheapest I have ever found. I have one and it's pretty good.

3. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I also like my Fiio X1 but I'm guessing the OP didn't mean just a headphone out when he said "analogue outputs". For me the cheap stereo rig option is a used Oppo DVD player, I burn hi-res FLAC to DVD-Audio but you could also use a hard drive if you don't want to burn discs.

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Maybe but the X1 can be configured to line out and the X3 has one as standard. Mine are used for lossless inc 24 bit replay over the main rig.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Raspberry Pi with a DAC hat. It's, like, £50 all in.

Gaslight, mantis4tons and jlykos like this.
  6. Halloween Jack

Raspberry Pi is great but you need to configure it a lot. I'd like something just like a CD player: plug 'n' play; you put the USB drive in and you navigate the folders with a small integrated display (and remote control, of course).

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Blu ray players can do that (apart from the display integrated)

8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Not really. Copy OS to an SD card. Connect to hi-fi AUX input. Power it up. Plug in USB drive. Control from smartphone or tablet.

9. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    You appear correct that it seems hard to find what you describe in the $150-200 range, without cobbling together or DIY.

10. Halloween Jack

No analogue outputs in this price range...

Ok, seems fine. Though the OS installation requires a little work (should be fun for me but not so much with "normal" people).

Yes, I don't see any. That Logitech was the answer for this...

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

"Normal" people probably have no use for the device you're describing when they have spotify, bluetooth speakers, smart TVs, etc.

Larry Johnson likes this.
  12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Halloween Jack likes this.
  13. Cherrycherry

Read your post a few times and cannot tell if it is pejorative in nature and towards whom.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

unfortunately logitech was not good at marketing squeezebox -- worse systems IMO (sonos etc) got a lot more marketing $$

doesnt something like this work though?

Amazon.com: Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 Hi-Fi Internet Radio Tuner: Home Audio & Theater

Halloween Jack likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You're not gonna like this but your best option is just to set up a spare laptop or tablet, load up that with files and Foobar or JRiver, then ouput to a standalone DAC via USB, analog output from the DAC to your stereo. Getting that set up is not as hard as it sounds, and it will be far more practical and easy to use than something with a tiny LCD display for browsing files.

Mike-48 and Halloween Jack like this.
  16. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

i'd use a PC or Ibasso DX80/90

17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Forthcoming SONY UBP X800 should suffice

18. Cherrycherry

o_O How so?
    Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
    The Sony UBP X800 does not have :
    • RCA outputs
    • a display
    That unit is $100 over the estimated range the OP suggested for budget.
    While this unit does have a USB input on the front, it isn't fully clear that the unit will be able to support HIREZ specifically from the USB port, or maybe only on the other inputs. (Possibly from only a BluRay disc or over the Ethernet port)

19. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

20. Halloween Jack

I agree with this. Though I think a tablet doesn't have true audio line-out? With the laptop you use a phone with a remote control app, you can even use some internet music programs... yeah, it's great.

Laptops ain't cheap, though (but I could buy an used one in this budget).

However, these guys have some good finds:

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some tablets have a standard USB output. My Microsoft Surface 3 does.

If you have a tablet with micro USB you can run an adapter, then a standard USB cable to your DAC.

A used laptop would be fine.

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

FYI - Closeout deals may still be found on last year's Denon Heos links. I purchased several for my house at the closeout prices, and I'm impressed by the system.

23. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Replaced my Squeezebox with a Bluesound Node2. Bluesound offers variations from a stand alone player-one with storage-one with storage and amplification. The Squeezebox software (LMS) is till supported via an open source development community. If you are into digital streaming to your main and remote HiFi systems, I suggest you look to the near future where you will want to be free from having a computer in the loop. Some form of external drive/storage on a network is the way to go. If you agree then perhaps spending a bit more or at least selecting gear that will lead to the goal is in your best interest.

24. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Check out the AURALiC Aries Mini. A lot of features in a small package. Stream, or add an internal hard drive.

25. aaron25

aaron25 New Member

ipod with bose is gd enuf

Bingo Bongo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.