Vice: Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert C, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Thanks to people getting rid of their CDs, I've been able to find a treasure trove of great music on cd at my local thrift stores ranging from $0.25 to a dollar a disc, good artists too, not garbage, all in nice shape to boot!

2. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I find these articles so odd. Why should she care? My grandmother was still playing 78s when I was a teen, and my uncle was playing 8-tracks. It wouldn't have even occurred to me to mock them for that.

Actually, I'm not even sure why I'm angry. Hopefully some people will read this and unload all their CDs, and I can continue to buy more music (that I actually own) at even more rock-bottom prices.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

To each their own, love my cds and vinyl rather own a Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper on a cd or vinyl a physical copy what have you.
    I'm glad flac, iTunes High Resolution downloads are available to all if they or myself desire to use them.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I do, like a maniac

Runicen likes this.
  5. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I stopped reading at "a Walkman the size of a dinner plate" .... I've never seen one of those. With that type of exaggeration I knew the rest had to be drivel.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Yes, I use ITunes just to have a copy ripped on my HD, I will always prefer physical media, THE ONLY MEDIA ONE TRULY OWNS!

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's the clickbait L.A. Weekly model of "journalism" -- take aim at something in some kind of provocative way, write with snark, and people will pass it around on the internet (witness the link on this thread) embedding link backs all over the place, talk about it, respond to it, driving up web traffic for the article. Write a sober, reasoned, fact driven piece about the relative popularity of music formats, no one will notice.

sjaca, Martin Byrne, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:
    Ya know.....

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I buy CDs and will not stop buying them either...

10. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Yeah, that seems like a really worthwhile thing to do.

11. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Hmm, this hasn't ever been discussed before, here!

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

:laugh:
    Hahahahaha !!

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

dalem5467 likes this.
  14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Terrific article by Noisey's Daisy Jones, chock -full of vital insights and ribald satirical commentary. I've been such an idiot until I saw this but at last I finally see how wrong I've been. What a fresh take on the topic by this incredibly talented writer - you don't see hard-hitting journalism like this anymore. Peabodys and Pulitzers all around for everyone involved. Yay, hurray....yeah...

D.D.

Malina, Runicen, SuntoryTime and 3 others like this.
  15. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I do not own any music, that I don't own on CD.
    And that includes the (50-ish) vinyl albuns I own, which I also own on CD...

dalem5467 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've always felt the same way. Now that I don't have easy access to the real deal I'm wondering if my habits will change.

Earlier today, I downloaded Sixty Minutes With Clarence Carter, an album from 1973 on the fame label. I liked it and immediately looked on Discogs to see how much original copies of the LP are fetching (not much). But that's not a realistic option; the S&H would cost five times as much as the album. I'm sure that any and all singles from the album have been reissued digitally by KENT on their Fame series... I'll look into that.

But do I really need to add another Clarence Carter CD to the five or six that I already have in my collection of approximately 10K CD's?

(I'm not looking for an answer to that... it's a hypothetical question)

x

x

x

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yup. Angry tweets from the disgruntled old man CD buying contingent will definitely make her think twice about the content of her articles :biglaugh:

Rob C, Pinknik, SpencerWebb and 2 others like this.
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

For me:

At home: Vinyl (best/highest quality sound if analog)

Convenience/Portability: Streaming

Cds have become largely irrelevant and unnecessary for me...

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  19. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Cds are even more alive with me than they were when I bought my first one in 1992.I'm not worried about if people think it's a dead or outdated format.If so it leaves more for me at a cheaper price.

Runicen, RogerB and Grand_Ennui like this.
  20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Welcome to the post-rational world.

21. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I'll keep buying CDs until it is consistently cheaper to buy lossless CD quality downloads or until I feel comfortable with not owning any music and just stick with Spotify. I don't think either is likely to happen in the near future.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I guess there's nothing wrong with trolling for clicks on subjects like this if the engagement entertains people, I just worry about the way this kind of stuff is displacing reported journalism on subjects of import and meaning to the lives of people if it's a business model that works and so one that that more and more "news" hole gets devoted to at the expense of other things. Mostly, in my personal life, I can just avoid these sorts of pieces.

sjaca and Runicen like this.
  23. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I still see people shopping for and buying CDs at record stores, so they are out there. Lots of them. I personally haven't bought one since iTunes/iPods became a thing - though now I don't even use iTunes anymore.

But, I can see the general population thinking along these lines. A few months ago, I was shopping at Bleecker Records with my wife tagging along. They were interviewing people about their record buying habits and wanted to interview my wife. She mostly listens to Spotify or the vinyl that I play I at home on our system. They asked her if she preferred CDs or vinyl. Her response was that she preferred vinyl and didn't even know people bought CDs anymore. She definitely has no dog in the race and barely pays attention to music formats, but even she felt like CDs were dying.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

+1

Psychedelic Good Trip and ronm like this.
  25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It has gone a long way towards replacing real journalism. Legitimate news organizations are under constant budget pressure; old school reporting doesn't offer much of a payback anymore.

I'm not sure a Vice writer gets paid anything at all though. We all avoid 99.999% of what's out there, but sadly, the quality of the remaining 00.001% often disappoints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.