Vice: Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert C, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Why yes, yes I do.

F.Natural likes this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

See, I really can't understand that at all. All I ever buy is brand new/full price. Where are you people finding all these used bargains? There's actually discs you want that other people bought and hated enough to be willing to toss them out?

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

You'd be surprised. It's an EXCELLENT time for buying used CD's. When I dig through a shop with a good used selection, it's rare when I don't find more than I can actually afford. With the upsurge in vinyl and streaming, it seems folks have been dumping their CD collections left and right.

davers, AJK74, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon Marketplace rules!

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Reading that article is two minutes of my life I'll never get back.

dalem5467, sjaca and Runicen like this.
  6. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I like CDs a lot more than I like Vice, just saying'
    :-popcorn:

7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I mostly buy used as well... it's a buyer's market still! Although I REALLY need to thin the herd...

8. F.Natural

F.Natural Well-Known Member

Yes, of course.

9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

There's s a wonderful new invention called Amazon Marketplace. I very rarely buy CDs new, only when the Prime price and tax are less than used+shipping or when it's something I must have on release day.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I traded my last car in when the CD player stopped working. My current car I have been driving for 2 years with no A/C. :D

gregorya and Runicen like this.
  11. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I'll second that!! As you say, some of it is real good stuff. Even bought some second hand stuff for a penny!

CybrKhatru likes this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

What a condescending article.

13. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

According to that article many people interviewed still buy compact discs.

BluesOvertookMe and mmars982 like this.
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I didn't read the article. CDs are still my primary music buying.

psychtrailmix likes this.
  15. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

He had a word quota for an assignment on a topic he knew nothing about and cared even less about...

vegafleet likes this.
  16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I never find what I'd call a good used selection. All I ever find around here is what would charitably be considered junk. And junk in poor condition.

17. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

I just bought the CD box set of Tokyo String Quartet's Beethoven late quartets cycle for 50 cents yesterday. The demise of the CD is working pretty well for me.

Runicen, Casagrande and Tanx like this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I scoll through the Amazon marketplace occasionally just because it's fun to see the insane prices they're asking for random discs.

First three titles I searched for:
    Marion Brown Quartet remaster - $142.95
    Henry Kaiser & Wadada Leo Smith - Upriver - $505.22
    Yoshihide Otomo - Plays Yamashita - $171.00

That's nuts! At least Discogs is often within the realm of reality.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As the zombie man pointed out, just click on "used" on Amazon and there you are, the same item at a 10th of the price. This month I picked up 3 CDs and 2 (Sinatra) DVDs in great nick for about 12 euros (including postage). Better than buying new, better than stooopid downloads and streaming.

Robert C likes this.
  20. Yes. I still buy CD's, although not as many as I used to. My collection numbers in the thousands and I don't buy as many as I used to because I have most of everything I want. CD's are not redundant and are still an excellent format. Local stores are growing in number and inventory. It is true that the biggies like Tower, Wherehouse, Blockbuster, etc. Our main Tower Records store in town had a seamless takeover by another chain, Rasputin Music. Their CD inventory is expanding as well as their vinyl section. The CD sections takes up 2/3 of the large store. The video section is shrinking with lot's of used DVD's and Blu-rays for sale.
    Online, Amazon sells tons of new CD's and often sells out, but restocks. Many of the albums at Amazon come with a free mp3 download, so I can put them in my iPod and play them in my cars. Using iPods and mp3's are for indiscriminate playback in situations where sound quality can't be fully appreciated, like cars, jogging, computers, smartphones, etc.
    I have NEVER paid for a music download and never will.

ggjjr and Purple Jim like this.
  21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Does anyone in the world still read Vice?

BluesOvertookMe and Purple Jim like this.
  22. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I like a physical thing with music in it.

23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I only buy preferred masterings or audio fidelity type cd/SACD and box sets that I really like. I utilize all formats except lossy and cassette tape 8 track and reel to reel

Robert C likes this.
  24. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I recently moved to a new city and had to leave all my CDs behind (thankfully my parents were merciful enough to let me store them at their house). About two weeks ago, I was trying to write a review of an album and while I could listen to the files on my hard drive, no problem, when I tried to look up some recording details, the information just wasn't online--and this isn't some super-obscure album only five people bought. I really took for granted being able to walk over and have the booklet for any given title at my fingertips.

25. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Daisy (the) Jones has, with a single short piece in Vice, changed the way music is enjoyed and consumed forever. I suggest that we offer her an honorary membership on the Steve Hoffman Forum. If she accepts, I further suggest that we all shave our heads and devote ourselves utterly to her bidding as truly, she is The Messiah come to walk among us again. Now if you'll excuse me, I have several thousand CD's to box up... and the time is short before The Reckoning is upon us.

D.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.