Video Capture Question?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Hello all! My Son just purchased a DVD Burner...He's looking for a Cheap Video capture card for transfering home VHS tapes to DVD-R...nothing fancy, just reasonable...Any suggestions?

2. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I use this and Roxio 7

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep, or Pinnacle's PCI caputure card.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Thanks Larry...looks good!

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Do not buy the cheap TV@nywhere cards.

6. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I'd also suggest looking at this:
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp
    as it's very highly regarded. You might have to add a Firewire card to his computer if you don't already have one...oh, and get a bigger HD....oh, don't forget the RAM....and then there's the.... ;-)
    have fun!

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If you need to capture video and sound from TV as well as VHS to DVD-R, the ultimate card for that is the ATI TV Wonder Pro which costs $400

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I use the Dazzle 90, like Larry's but USB2. It also came with Pinnacle 9 bundled. $85.00 at Fry's

9. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Ok...so with a firewire port and a highly specced PC what else is required? Am I correct in understanding that the Canopus is like the video equivalent of a USB soundcard so that no other hardware is required (and an ordinary spec video card is ok because its not capturing anything?)
    Does this leave the only other requirement to be capture software? If so what do you recommend?
    TIA.

10. boead

boead New Member

It depends what format it captures in.

If the capture card uses a propriety hardware codec then you may be stuck using the manufacturers capture utility and editing tools.
    If the capture card uses a DV or more friendly hardware codec then you can likely capture and edit with just about anything.

I use the Pinnacle DV/AV which does both analog and digital (firewire) capture. Note that USB is NOT fast enough for high quality capture, USB-2 is fine or Firewire. I use Pinnacle ‘Studio’ to capture and Adobe Premier 6 to edit and finally Roxio to burn to DVD. I have used a half dozen ‘other’ applications for each phase and still use some others now and then but these work easiest for me under WinXP pro.

At home I have a cheap ($55) LeadTek TV card. It capturers directly to DVD and is actually peaty darn good! It also captures directly to MPEG-2 at 720 x 480 which can easily be transferred to DVD, no editing is possible in the MPEG format (well not really).

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I may be wrong but for capturing VHS I don't think you can use firewire that's for digital capture. For capture software I like Pinnacle. You can do lots of different editing with it.

12. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

If I understand correctly the Canopus ADVC-100 outputs a digital firewire signal and is pretty well regarded. I don't know whether it comes with capture software though. If it didn't I wonder if Windows Moviemaker (version 2) would be any good for it? Or is Moviemaker only good for editing?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.