Vikings Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by drumzNspace, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can see that happening and I would watch it...the casting of the young Bjorn to older was spot on!

Coricama likes this.
  2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

True, its a mash up of of general 'Viking' history condensed into a more concise, cohesive story line. Another thing few people realize: as of this era there weren't really 'English' 'French' 'Germans' 'Italians' etc. as they are known today. For example French includes Normans - descendants of the Danish and/or Norse vikings who settled, christianized and intermarried with the Franks & English to the extent they had a blood line claim to rule what would become England. The 'Franks' of Francia (at that time covering todays Germany/France/low countries) were several tribes. Modern Germans, French, and other European peoples can lay claim to Franks as ancestors. The Christian Normans soon conquered Sicily and the southern half of Italy but were as influenced by Christian Byzantine i.e. 'Greek' culture as Francian. The English are largely descended from Germanic Angles, Saxons, & Danish colonizers. Indigenous tribes like the Picts as well as some mainland Europe colonizers became Gaelic (Gaelicised) and melded into indigenous Celtic Irish & Scots peoples. Basically, if you are ethnically European you probably have a couple former warrior tribes in your blood line.

GodShifter and LordThanos1969 like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just finished watching all 3 seasons.

I like the show but there are things I don't like about it as well - for example the multiple characters who appear to die or be crippled beyond repair (eg: Rollo, Bjorn) somehow magically recover like they only had flesh wounds.

An entertaining show nonetheless, great battle scenes, strong characters.

I was disappointed that it looked like Ragnar was dead (I find his character to be wildly entertaining, capable of very unpredictable & violent swings) but at the same time I was expecting him to jump out of his coffin and somehow allow his warriors to take the city that way and when it happened, I thought well I saw that coming - but I'm confused about something.

Wasn't the coffin supposed to be carried by 4 (or however many) Vikings that were not allowed to bring weapons with them? Yet, after Ragnor burst out of his coffin, didn't they show his comrades inside with weapons like axes? I can see Ragnor having an M16 or whatever in the coffin with him but how did the other Vikings get weapons when they didn't bring any in? Or did I miss something?

4. Michael

any return date announced yet? love the show.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

P.S. Is she like the most beautiful badass chick ever or what? I still don't get how Ragnar left her for that wimpy fashion model....

[​IMG]

Centurion, Rufus McDufus and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

without a doubt! I love a strong pretty woman!

slipkid likes this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That was another thing about the show I didn't like/get, when she left. Family was supposedly everything to Ragnar. He & Lagertha had been through a lot already. They seemed very much in love, had 2 kids, etc. He respected her as a warrior, not just as a woman (yeah he still slept around but what's a horny Viking to do when he's away from home). For Ragnar to let her leave over what's her name, just didn't compute for me. Yeah I know there are Viking mythology things at play here how the writer(s) come up with some of this stuff, but the way Ragnar & Lagertha were portrayed already in the show I just didn't see how he'd let her split like that...

8. Michael

I remember in one episode Ragnar asked another man if he wanted to sleep with his wife or join in...it may have been the priest?...that threw me back. I too was surprised he left her as well...they were a perfect team. but, hey they are Vikings...not the best quality people...brutal and savage! We love it all and have no complaints...great show!

slipkid likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, that was early on when Athelston was Ragnar's slave. IIRC Lagertha was not unhappy with the offer either. They both kind of shook their heads like "what's wrong with this guy?" when Athelston said no thanks.

Friggin' Floki! Athelston was a very interesting character. Was disappointed to see him killed off but that made sense for the storyline I guess.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

his death changed everything for Ragnar...
    Floki...yes, he is quite a character and I like his part.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.