Vince Guaraldi 'Charlie Brown Suite and Other Favorites.'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone had a chance to pick up the new Vince Guaraldi compilation of 'Peanuts' music, 'Charlie Brown Suite and Other Favorites?'

I didn't even know this disc existed until I casually did a search for Vince Guaraldi on Amazon. Looks pretty interesting. Has anyone picked this up yet? Any comments on material and sound quality?

Thanks!!

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have it.

The performances aren't as good as I'd hoped for. The drummer is following the band instead of the band following him. The recordings are okay, nothing special. It's nice to hear once but it won't find itself off your CD shelf very often.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Wasn't this released on Warner Bros. records? IMHO, Guaraldi's best recordings were during his stay on the Fantasy label. Beyond the Charlie Brown recordings, the others are still quite good. Those Fantasy albums from back then just had a certain sound to them that I really like. :D

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Seems like they were mostly done at radio stations. That's impressive.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's released on Bluebird. The album is mostly live, from 1968. The only tracks that are not live are a big band version of "Linus and Lucy" and a version of "Oh Good Grief" which is apparently an outtake from the 1968 Warner's album of the same name. I haven't heard it yet.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Interesting...seems there are a few Guaraldi recordings floating around that aren't on Fantasy. Those I wouldn't buy unless I had a chance to hear them first.

Somewhat related, I do have to recommend avoiding the recent George Winston tribute to Vince Guaraldi...thank goodness I borrowed it. I guess if you like Peanuts classics played in boring, exercise-book fashion, it's OK, but I found it lacking any feeling. David Benoit at least kept some excitement in his versions and is also heir-apparent to providing Peanuts music. I know in concert, his renditions of Guaraldi's classics always get a warm reception. :)

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I wouldn't dismiss all his post-Fantasy work. His last album, Alma-Ville (on Warner Bros) is really quite good. Not available on CD, though. In fact, I think Oh Good Grief is the only Warner's album out on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.