Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Unexpected, to say the least. Now he belongs to the ages. Far Beyond Driven is my favorite album by them, and the solo in Floods is easily one of Metal's best solos. Phil must be a wreck.

2. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Pantera was a force to behold. Those that didn't see them will never understand. One of Metal's top brother duos. On a side note, it's crazy how Dime was asked to join Megadeth, but wouldn't go if Vinnie wasn't given the gig as well.

3. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I always thought Vinnie had a little more technique than most metal drummers and was quite underrated. Pantera was also my first gig.

RIP

4. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Always loved his drumming and drum sound - one of the few bands to keep metal going in the 90-s. RIP

5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I hate this. R.I.P.

Mr. H and Greenalishi like this.
  6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

He was one of the best in my opinion.

ianuaditis and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  7. Very Sad. RIP Vinnie.

8. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I once met him and Darrell when they toured Europe and played nearby. They were great guys, I had a fun time with them.
    Rest in Peace brother... Gone too soon.

9. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Great snare sound.

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Man, I didn’t see that coming at all, and I’ve been listening to some Pantera lately. I said this before somewhere, but groove metal can be a very hit or miss, but Pantera was a band that got it right, and while Phil and Dimebag were usually the ones that got the credit, Vinnie had a lot to do with that sound, just a really tight pocket player in the context of a metal, and very important in the studio environment as well, helping produce the records with Terry Date.
    He reminds me of Alex Van Halen, in that both were the older brother to this beloved guitar hero who got overlooked despite their talent, and it’s clear they never really cared about that. They were just two brothers who loved their music and were so happy to get to do it for a living and that so many loved them was just icing on the cake. I’ll be honest, I’m not a Hellyeah fan. At all. But whatever, they’ve done relatively well, and it was just good to see him still playing music because I can’t imagine losing Dime, especially through such a horrible way, and witnessing it. Poor guy. :shake: May he Rest In Peace, and hopefully he is with his brother again.

11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Hard to wake up hearing the news about Vinnie. It really must have been painful for him to witness what happened to his brother Dime and continue on. I can only hope he is back jamming away with Dime wherever they are. I loved the chemistry they had as players and brothers, Musicman1998 summed it up quite well that he had a similarity to AVH. Certainly makes sense as Vinnie and Dime were huge Van Halen fans and Pantera always had that 'VH on steroids' style. He was certainly one drummer in the metal genre that had a great groove and played some really unique double kick patterns instead of the stereotypical typewriter beats most other drummers play. He will be missed, RIP Vinnie.

12. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

Terrible news... he was a great drummer : both powerful, fast & groovy. What an injustice !
    RIP Vinnie .

13. Django

Django Forum Resident

Sad to hear this. When Metallica lost their magic in 91, Pantera took over as the of best metal band of the 90s.
    Vinnie was a great drummer, very underrated. RIP Vinnie.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Sad news indeed. I got into Pantera after seeing the videos for Psycho Holiday and Cowboys from Hell on Headbanger's Ball in the very early 90's. Stayed on board for the duration. Very strong set of albums from 1990 to 2000. Never really took to the material prior to that. Truly sad that half the band is now gone.

R.I.P. Vinnie

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I regret never getting to witness Pantera live. The Paul family has given a lot to rock and roll, and I'll be forever thankful.

This is a sad day. RIP buddy. You were a fire-breathing beast!

17. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Funny, I was listening to Power Metal this morning; not bad at all, pretty good slice of Priest-esque Metal. The first four defintely had problems but I don’t think they’re really anything to be ashamed of.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

but how did he die?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Hopefully you don't think i was suggesting they were something to be ashamed of. Just not for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. I'm curious … Did Vinnie Paul and Phil Anselmo ever mend the fences between them?

21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It happens.

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

usually when it's unsuspicious they just say, heart attack, cancer, blah blah....
    why is this such a secret? is there more to it?
    once upon a time, nobody kept these details, but now when someone dies, it becomes something else.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Damn. I was never much more than a casual Pantera fan (I lost interest in them after Vulgar Display...), but Vinnie always seemed like a cool guy and he could certainly crush those drums. R.I.P. sir.

Zoot Marimba and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

My understanding is Phil tried to make amends and set things right these last few years, but Vinnie wouldn't ever have a bar of it. And now they'll never patch things up, not in this lifetime anyway.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

WTF. to say seeing this is a shock would be the understatement of the year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.