Vintage Psychedelic Concert Posters From Smaller Towns and Cities

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katstep, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder Thread Starter

The recent Fillmore poster thread got me thinking about two unique psychedelic era posters from my home city of Santa Rosa that I got my hands on a few years ago (I don't own them, but was able to take hi-res photos of them). Back when the shows they promote happened in the mid-60s, Santa Rosa was a relatively small city, about 40,000 people and wasn't much more than an agricultural backwater an hour north of San Francisco. Our veteran's building and fairground hosted some psychedelic concerts during the mid to late 60s and into the 70s, and over the years I've stumbled across a few very cool posters and handbills from this time. This has me wondering if any other folks who live outside of larger cities have similar gems to share? There must be many other examples of vintage posters that illustrate how grass roots the psychedelic movement really was, and how the music was brought to podunk towns across America spreading the word. I'd love to see some other examples from members here!
    Here we have The Yardbirds, Sir Douglas Quintet and The New Breed, 7-21-67:
    [​IMG]
    Count Five, Iron Butterfly and Bystanders, 7-13-67:
    [​IMG]

2. katstep

This Grateful Dead example from 12-12-70 was probably just a handbill (The Dead played Santa Rosa quite a few times):
    [​IMG]

3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Not a psychedelic poster per se, but always a favorite of mine. Perhaps because I like Hawaii so much, and wish I could live there:

[​IMG]

4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's a few from lesser known concert areas. that wooden airplane poster has always interested me. on the back is a promo photo of bobby goldsboro. i wonder how this double sided poster came to be? i have all of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. katstep

The Tahoe Grateful Dead one is very cool, and certainly fits the small city bill. Where are the first two Airplane posters from? One says Cal Poly, but which campus? Were they small city gigs?

sparkydog likes this.
  6. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

1st Glasto 1970 ..

[​IMG]

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

should have included that.

Earl Warren Showgrounds, Santa Barbara, CA October 7,1967

Men's Gym - Cal. Polytechnic State U., San Luis Obispo, CA May 19,1967

sparkydog and katstep like this.
  8. wwaldmanfan

Perhaps the most copied psychedelic poster ever, this iconic image is by German artist Gunter Kieser. Known as the "Stuttgart poster", the original advertising poster for the German 1969 concert tour had a blank space at the bottom, where the dates, city, and venue were added for the half-dozen or so shows, as per this pic. These genuine advertising posters are priceless today.
    If you've seen this one before, it probably says "15.1.69, Mittwoch 20 Uhr Beethovensaal Stuttgart EXPERIENCE" at the bottom. The orignals of these were souvenir merchandise posters that were sold/given away at the shows, or one of the infinite number of copies of it that are around today. I have a fake one myself.
    About 15 years ago, I had a chance to buy a real one for $600 from Jay Kastor (see my 2nd post in the, "Anyone Collect Fillmore Posters?" thread), and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it.

[​IMG]

ZEP77, hi_watt, Mad shadows and 3 others like this.
  9. katstep

Just a reminder, as cool as some of the shared posters so far are, this isn't intended as a catch all psychedelic poster thread, but is specifically looking for small town and city performances. I think Berlin was a small town sometime in the Middle Ages. :D

Dudley Morris, ZEP77 and sparkydog like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Punch Andrews (Bob Seger manager) ran this theater, some amazing bands played there, this is a cool late 1970 for Badfinger, poster and handbill designed

[​IMG]

11. wwaldmanfan

OK, sorry, point taken. I guess I'm 0-for-2 with Honolulu and Berlin. I'll risk a strike out with this one, because it is not a psychedelic poster. However, the venue certainly qualifies, since my town only had about 10,000 residents at the time I went to this show at the high school. I still live here, and the school is about 2 miles from my house. There was even a book written about this concert:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1482052636/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

[​IMG]

NUNZI, bekayne, action pact and 12 others like this.
  12. katstep

Psychedelic or not, that totally qualifies! Very cool. Thanks!

sparkydog likes this.
  13. katstep

What city and state was this one held in?

sparkydog likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Great thread topic

sparkydog likes this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Vulcan Gas Company in sleepy little
    Austin, Texas had some of the best:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. katstep

Those are fantastic!

sparkydog likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Birmingham, Michigan

Cassius, sparkydog and katstep like this.
  18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A poster for a Jefferson Airplane concert in San Rafael, 1/26/67
    [​IMG]

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's a few
    [​IMG]

plus below a Bob Seger poster

sparkydog, jamesmaya and Lightworker like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

A nice "Michigan" touch on that Palladium poster.

sparkydog and jamesmaya like this.
  22. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Cream and Blue Cheer in FRESNO, y'all!

[​IMG]

Another Fresno:
    [​IMG]

Not just Pasadena, but the PASADENA JUNIOR COLLEGE PRESENTS...who do they present? Love, with openers The Doors and Canned Heat!!!

[​IMG]

Iron Butterfly and Herbie Mann at the Shipyard Drive-in in Providence, RI, 1970, "Plus on our giant screen Grand Funk Railroad." I guess there was a Grand Funk film floating around???

[​IMG]

And one of the most f-ed up posters I've ever seen in my entire life, for the Bee Gees and thirty piece orchestra with Spanky and Our Gang, also in Providence, 1968 -- with The Flying Nun dropping dynamite!!!!

[​IMG]

Now, it turns out that those last two are by Mad Peck, a Rhode Island artist who did a butt-ton of psychedelic posters at the time. Many, many more here, along with some great stories about what it was like trying to make your mark in a small town. Srsly, maybe 2 dozen posters there. I could have chosen others, but these two jumped out at me because of the many many questions they raise. :laugh:

rockinlazys, clhboa, bekayne and 8 others like this.
  23. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

24. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I attended this one. The Dead at Bellarmine College, Louisville KY, 12-7-1968.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  25. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I missed this one. Steppenwolf at Freedom Hall, Louisville KY. Unsure of date.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.