Vinyl mono/stereo issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jonno, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the Beatles mono box there's been much talk about summing the channels to mono to get a properly centred mono sound. I've read many posts to the effect that it's a big improvement, better soundstage, far more musical etc. My question is this: are we not conceding a considerable deficit in vinyl for stereo playback when we say these things? A stereo image also needs to be properly centred, but surely we're still going to have the same discrepancy between the two channels when there is no option to sum to mono because it's a stereo recording. Not to mention that any surface noise that is reduced by summing, we just have to live with in stereo. To whatever extent a mono switch/cable is better, vinyl as a stereo medium is flawed, and if it's much better, stereo vinyl is much worse.

Thoughts?

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I am torn on this one. I have a mono switch on my amp that also engages with my remote. Makes it easy for comparisons. On noisier old mono pressings, it definitely quietens it down, or at least makes the noise less prominent. In stereo mode there is an slight openness that disappears (on most pressings I own) when the mono is engaged. But with a stereo cart are you really doing anything other than changing your perception? Having said that, most times I run with the mono engaged.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Absolutely.

The only benefit to summing to mono is reducing background noise, unless there are other issues with your system.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Let's put it this way—if the LP playback is done properly, there will be a minor difference between playing a mono record in stereo and playback in pure mono. The more things are out of alignment with the turntable, the better pure mono will sound as compared to mono played back in stereo.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

I'm not across the finer points of why, but my experience is summing the channels (so far have only tried the Beatles & VU mono re-issues) really only improves the overall sonics to that of good stereo pressings (excluding of course L/R separation and taking into account quality of the original source). On my system summing has zero affect on soundstage width (can't say 100% no affect on depth) but what is immediately noticeable is a reduced noise floor, light clicks/pops all but gone, occasional sibilance gone and overall a more coherent & pleasant sound.
    I wouldn't agree with 'action pact' above, nor would I expect every system to have the same outcome mine does, but my tt is properly set up & reasonably high end (though of course I'm using a stereo cart). Ideally these mono LPs would be played back using a mono cart with the correct stylus profile (possibly a different profile to what an original mono LP requires for best results) but for most of us the extra expense is either prohibitive or not justified (having so few mono LPs) so the next best thing is to sum the channels.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Summing to mono allows me to reduce unwanted noise when listening to mono vinyl. It also allows me to fold down to mono when listening to wide panned stereo or anything else where folding down improves things. Stereo vinyl, however, has more information in stereo than just pops and crackles. Therefore, folding down might lose information as well as noise.
    The important things for me are to have a good turntable and cartridge and a good phono stage plus good everything else in the signal path. BUT the most important thing is to look after my records and not buy stereo vinyl in bad condition.
    I've just bought a Croft pre-power combo with a killer phono stage and my enjoyment of both mono and stereo vinyl just went up several levels. This includes listening to mono and stereo vinyl bought 45 years ago. Somehow the Croft combo just digs endless music out of those well-worn grooves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.