Vinyl Records sound sub par played through current Home Theatre system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The King of Mona, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The King of Mona

The King of Mona New Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've spent quite a bit of money upgrading my current home theatre system. It includes the following equipment:
    • Rega RP3 Turntable with elys 2 cartridge
    • Rega fono mini A2D preamp
    • Onkyo tx-sr578
    • Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers (Just the pair)
    Suffice to say, the sound isn't as amazing as I had envisioned. I was wondering if maybe the preamp/receiver may be the reason I'm not getting the best out of my turntable, or if their are any possible improvements that could be made. It just seems very "digital" sounding without the warmth one would expect from a vinyl record.

Thanks

2. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

did you buy a 7.1 receiver just for 2 channel stereo? What setting are you using for music?

This review calls it "incredibly musical" and it looks to have a decent Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DAC.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/onkyo-tx-sr578/

3. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Your running your turntable though the rega fono A2D? Isn't that an analog to digital converter? I would suspect that's why your vinyl sounds digital.

I recommend a better phono pre-amp.

A_L

Spitfire likes this.
  4. The King of Mona

The King of Mona New Member Thread Starter

I originally had energy take 5 classic speakers connected to the receiver for surround sound, I just recently upgraded hence the 7.1 channel receiver. I have the speakers bi-amped, the receiver itself is set to "All channel Stereo" mode. The preamp could also very well be the issue, although I've seen several reviews praising it, which is why I'm not really sure about it. Thanks again.

5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

It isn't an analogue to digital converter; it is a highly regarded budget phono stage

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

What do you think the A2D means? It has a USB interface, there has to be an A/D D/A in there. No way to know if the analog in/out bypasses them.

OP should check the turntable set up, makes sure alignment and tracking force is set properly. Sound quality may improve over time as the cartridge breaks in.

7. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I love listening to my AT LP1240 hooked into some Logitech computer speakers.

8. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

All Channel Stereo usually outputs sound to all 7 speakers. Try Pure Audio, Direct or Stereo for your 2 channel setup.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

How do you connect the turntable to the receiver? Please specify the actual connections/interconnects that you use. :)

10. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

"All channel Stereo" should probably be changed to just plain "Stereo" when playing an LP.

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.