Vinyl Styl Record Cleaner vs. (original) Discwasher

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BryanA-HTX, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

Bought a Discwasher off Amazon and the results so far have been underwhelming. Heard some good stuff, even though the reviews have been somewhat generic. Don't really see much of anything sticking to the record brush, and I wouldn't say my records are terribly clean. Might return it since I'm a bit dissapointed, but what do you guys think of it, if you've bought one? Was thinking of getting an old school Discwasher since those are deemed as "old reliable". Thoughts?

One thing it won't get rid of is all the static that sounds every time a certain instrument plays. I'm pretty sure it said on the page it doesn't remove static removal though. What's the best and easiest way to get rid of this pesky static inside the grooves?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I assume you are using the liquid? It should pick up most surface dust. You must spin the record and then roll the brush sorta scooping up the dust. I used one for many years but now I spritz a micro fibre cloth and wipe before placing the record on the platter.

Static is a different story you have to use a carbon fibre brush. I use Static guard but many here will probably disagree with me on that. I take my old discwasher brush and very lightly spritz it then use it in the same manner as you would to clean your record. Note is said very lightly spritz. I sometimes forego the discwasher method and instead treat my dustbug with Static Guard. I've been doing this for over 15 years with no issues. :)

3. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Not sure if this is what you ordered, but the model currently being sold as new RCA Discwasher with the brown corduroy fabric material has not been favorably reviewed by those who are used to the original Discwasher system with black material from back in the day. I have not used the "new" version just passing on what I've read here, on the amazon product reviews and on audiokarma. I'm thinking of just picking up one of the old school versions from ebay.

4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The new brown Discwasher is a complete joke. A terrible product, and whoever bought the name should be flogged. The old black pad version is great so look for old stock. This video explains it

6. BryanA-HTX

7. BryanA-HTX

Gets rid of surface dust kind of, also the liquid is made of isopropyl. Heard that wasn't very healthy for the record...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I see what you are talking about now. All of those types of brushes basically only lift off dust and lint on or near the surface of the record. They really work best with records that are already clean. If you have oils, mold or other substances in the grooves or if the record is otherwise really dirty, there is no substitute for wet cleaning a record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.