VPI Avenger turntable with Grado Labs Epoch cartridge. My mini-review is here, post #296..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Makes sense but I may need to read it a couple more times. Thanks!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Basically you use this "special" record (HDS-701 from 1975) to find your average VTA and set it on the arm adjust and then everything flows from there. If you've got the ear and the patience. David Shreve showed me exactly what to listen for and he is totally patient (especially with me) so I had help..

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

David Shreve came up with a brilliant solution to VTA. I just don't have the patience for this sort of thing. Can you say ADD.

SandAndGlass and Jrr like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Well, I didn't either, when it was down to fiddling with the silly knob. But once you have made your chart, it's quite easy and fast to do, under 5 seconds extra.. And so musically rewarding. It's like getting extra music, free.

SandAndGlass and Tim Glover like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Just looking for paper would do me in.

6. Steve Hoffman

Printer paper. Get it out of your printer, or Xerox paper. Take a sheet, cut it down the middle, round the edges with baby scissors, and insert under mat when needed.

Tullman and Pythonman like this.
  7. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

I'm also using a Symposium Shelf under my VPI. Of course the Avenger should be a nice step up from my Aries, but I'm more than satisfied with my turntable and arm as-is. I'm probably one of the few users that have moved back to the metal JMW arms after being an early adopter of the 3D printed arm...the cartridges I prefer perform better with a heavier, fluid-damped arm.

Steve, are you using a VPI speed controller with the Avenger?

[​IMG]

8. Steve Hoffman

Speed control? No just the standard version. The transport motor has five or six different grooves to place the belt in to slightly vary the speed depending on the strobe. I don't even bother with that, just use the middle groove.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It isn’t clumsy and dumb at all when you look at the whole package as one element. It’s all mechanical. That’s a large part as to why some of us prefer it over digital. Trading out mats is just another extension of all the mechanical elements, and indeed would be a sure fire way of making sure it sounds exactly the same way it did last time when you played said record. I personally would be satisfied finding the right VTA for 180G and then just leave it, but I don’t know what to listen for so for me it’s probably best I leave well enough alone, but your solution is actually terrific to dial things in quickly and accurately to get to that next level. And if you can hear the difference, it’s worth it.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Keep in mind that there is a definite difference between the top and bottom ring, but you also have the varied element of the belt distance between the platter and motor itself. I got an app and measured the speed as it seemed a bit off. Sure enough, I had to put the pulley on the bottom rung to get to 33.3 consistently. Point being, it’s real nice to have a tiny bit of extra adjustment.

One last, very important tip. I had it all dialed in and a few weeks later it slowed to 32 and change. I had no problem discerning the difference, for better or worse. Nothing I did helped. I called VPI and they knew right away what to do. They had me apply a drop of oil to the bottom of the spindle and while I was skeptical, bingo! It did it again two weeks later, I did the same thing and it’s been perfect for months now.

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Thank you STEVE!. Really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

12. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Ive had the Aries 3, and the Avenger. You aren’t missing anything. I preferred the metal arms too. One nice thing about the Avenger is the ability to easily add armboards for different arms. You also have more flexibility in the motor choice.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  13. marka

marka Forum Resident

I’ve seen the “Dave Show” at Steve’s, and the difference with a small change is not subtle. And I have don’t have golden ears or trained ones.

beowulf likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

5EBA6B3A-B14C-4175-8922-6141FEB1C30C.jpeg 431B22EE-FEB9-4337-8E5C-A93D911E7831.jpeg What’s in the box? Second tonearm for the VPI Avenger turntable. Grado Labs Epoch special MONO cart will be installed, the STEREO version of the Epoch already on the other arm.

15. Steve Hoffman

Update, second arm is installed, just waiting for Grado Labs MONO Epoch to arrive. VPI kindly sent two counterweights, 180g and 200g for the extra-heavy Grado cart.

65192B13-B04D-4F1C-98F5-79747EC57468.jpeg D1FAD99F-29B4-40FD-8988-B03A6C82025C.jpeg

Jrr, Diskhound, M.R.Collins and 2 others like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Just read this again. Very good explanation of how it works..

17. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

Guss2 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am now using this method with great results. Thank you.

Bill Hart likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, great! I still do this. It's so easy..

Tullman likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

The Avenger is about getting everything out of the record that is being played with no editorializing and no compromising. It is also (obviously) going to depend on what cartridge you use with it. That is crucial. It will reproduce the sound of the record and the cartridge exactly so watch out. Pick a good cart, pick a musical cart, pick a cart that you can live with for a long, long time.

Truth.

Tullman, Guss2 and AnalogJ like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's funny the talk about the 3D vs the metal arms. The idea behind the 3D arm was rigidity.

When the Scout first came out (at $1800), it came with the JMW-9, a one-piece tonearm. It was not damped and it had a light effective mass, making it incompatible with many cartridges. But when mated correctly, the sound was great. Art Dudley called it a table that "knocked it out of the park!" Michael Fremer was also suitably impressed. It punched way above its weight. Harry Weisfeld told me that he thought it got 85% of the TNT HRX, which was $10-12,000, if I recall.

A few years ago, I visited Harry at his home and brought my table. He was playing with gimbaled arms while also playing with the 3D arms. We tried both three gimbaled arm and my original one-piece JMW-9. After listening to both, each with a couple of different cartridges, Harry said to me, "I forgot how good the original JMW-9 arm sounds." "It's the one-piece design", he told me.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I believe my Soundsmith Hyperion meets this standard. I have no compunction to go with another cart.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

25. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

Having lived with a PLC on my TNT for far too long and now having had a SDS for the past year, IMO it's a requirement on a VPI table.

Tullman likes this.