Walking Dead on AMC (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's pretty clear that dramatic TV is moving away from an episodic structure, where a casual viewer can "pop in" with any episode and understand what is going on, to a more novelistic one, where each episode is a chapter of a larger work.

mj_patrick likes this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Does the formula take into account how much money it costs to dress and digitally manipulate downtown Atlanta to look like it has been bombed out and all but abandoned to an army of the dead? ;)

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

On Talking Dead, they speculated that someone killed the campers in their sleep, which is why they came back as walkers in sleeping bags and tents. Or that the military dropped a bomb or gas on the city, killing the campers as they were sleeping.

World War Z has humans fleeing up north in zombie apocalypse.

Fleeing north has its own set of problems. Harder to get around in the snow. Trekking around snow, you're bound to step on a zombie covered under the snow. You'll compete for resources with hardcore militant survivalists with have the same idea of fleeing north to the snow. The cold would just preserve the zombies longer, too.

The best plan is to go to the coast, collect food resources and sail offshore in a big yacht, or camp out on an island off the coast. Although you might have to defend your borders against other humans with the same idea.

4. Relatively close to zero dollars, I'm willing to bet, since I'm also willing to bet most of that came from season 1. Just pull up the digital files and make it night, etc. I could be wrong, though.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And people die of natural causes anywhere. You're on the boat and someone has a heart attack and...it could be the start of game over. Probably the only way to truly make it work would be that any time anyone is not awake and among multiple other living, they are locked up. And those who patrol the locked doors would need to do so in multiples who remain within sight of each other. And you'd have to pray that no one ever went alinear and decided to kill the people around them. And you'd have to pray that no catastrophe might take out everyone on the outside of the locked doors.

At least, on land, you can run away. On a boat, closed quarters, nowhere to go, if someone turned it could get gruesome fast.

6. DreadPikathulhu

I thought they did a pretty good job with the digital manipulation. If you looked out the windows in the background while the characters were talking, you could still see the damage. I wondered how much of the damage we saw on the streets was real and how much was digital. It looked to me like they simply threw some cardboard and papers around and put a couple of overturned cars on the sidewalk, with everything else being digital.

I liked the change in scenery and hope they spend more time in large cities.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. It's pretty cool, that if you think about it, after 5 seasons they're still really close to Atlanta. They've done nothing but circles, which would be very likely considering all they've been through. Besides, where do they have to go?

On another note, has anyone noticed a lack of African American zombies? Atlanta is 54% African American, but mostly all the zombies are white. We know Bob tasted good, but what about all of the others. Oh wait! They are in the cast. :)

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Probably, since I'm guessing some of that work could have been recycled from season one and it seems like a lot more money was spent to have all actors on set and create an explosion at (and ultimately set fire to) Terminus for the premiere. ;)

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The van over the railing didn't bother me but I wondered what water would taste like that had been sitting in one of those office coolers for that long. Maybe ok, I don't know, I just wondered at the time.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Compared to catching rain water I'd think it would taste pretty damn good. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

I bought the van over the railing. It wasn't too clear how far it fell and Carol was severely injured. If she hadn't been run over by the car, she probably would have ended up in the hospital anyway.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

it looked farther down from the top view, but when we had a ground view it did not look that steep...possibly 20+/= feet?

13. It looked discolored around Carol's collarbone, as if she broke or cracked it...I'm going with cracked, because she still had arm movement. I don't know if the discoloration was from the accident or just post-apocalypse goo.

My beef with the van bit wasn't really the distance, though. It was the angle. That van was on its way to flipping upside down, or at the very least landing on its nose. The film shows it, but, CUT! - and it somehow lands on its belly. Daryll got the airbag in the face, and he just kind of looks up like nothing happened. Not even any redness. Man, those things friggin' hurt, y'all!

I usually don't analyze these pieces in the middle of watching a show, but on this one the first thing that came to mind was, "Myth Busters."

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

I just assumed that they had buttered the bottom of the van. That's the only way to guarantee that it would land on it's wheels.

JimC, Gumboo, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Go back and re-read the messages again. I'm commenting on an old news post from somebody else, merely reiterating that Walking Dead has been a revolving door of showrunners in the past 5 years. Do you not agree?

Very true. I watched Sunday night's show and said, "wow, those bad-looking VFX must've cost quite a bit for TV!"

I think the producers work hard on a balance between a large "series-wide" story arc, while also presenting smaller stories contained within each episode. No question, the longer the show stays on, the more complex the big story becomes, to the point where anybody who comes in late won't understand the complex nuances of (say) Carol or Rick or any of the regulars. The fact that Carol started off as a demure, battered wife and has become one of the most hardened killers of all of them is a huge character arc for her.

Mr. H and Hawklord like this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Rainwater tastes bad?

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Maybe not in Nova Scotia....in a large metropolitan city? Yah...it kinda does.

18. DreadPikathulhu

It's been several years since the zombie apocalypse, so you'd expect most of the smog to have cleared. I don't think it would be bad at all in a large city at this point.

19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Ok, so it's the pollution that the rain passes through. Gotcha.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

never had any directly from falling rain..But, if we were in a Zombie apocalypse it would taste great!

21. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Not all lies. Daryl is still pretty cool.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The lack of sexual tension between Daryl and Carol I find, uh, comical......

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Yeah, I think he has Beth on the brain and Carol just wants a spa day.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.