Wall Shelf for a large, heavy turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eflatminor, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Before I pull the trigger on a new turntable and isolation base, I wanted to identify a wall shelf that can handle the weight and size. So far, I'm having no luck, so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Weight wise, I need something that can handle 110lbs (combined weight of the table and base). I've found a few that are rated for that kind of weight, but they're too small.

Size wise, the base I plan to use (a HRS MX3 1921) is 21 inches wide and 19 inches deep. The feet appear to be very close to the corners, so I don't have much wiggle room. Basically, I'm thinking the shelf within the wall mount frame has to be at least 20 inches wide by 18 inches deep. 21 by 19 would be better.

Appearance wise, I certainly could build an appropriately-sized DIY wall shelf with the right brackets (beefy!), but this system is in the living room, so I'm hoping for something with a bit more finished appearance.

Unfortunately, HRS does not appear to make wall shelves, not that I could find. The closest thing I've found is a product from Solid Steel (WS-5), which can handle the weight (up to 130lbs), but the shelf within the frame is only 19.5 inches wide by 16.25 inches deep. The feet of the HRS would sit on the frame and may also hang over the front edge a bit (the total depth of the Solid Steel is less than 19 inches, while the depth of the HRS platform is a full 19 inches).

Can anyone recommend a wall shelf that can handle a 110 pounds of weight with a 21"w x 19"d isolation platform?

Thanks!

2. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I would think you could have one custom made. Most places that do decorative iron can make you one.

3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I actually thought of the same thing once. What I settled on was industrial shelving brackets 16" - 18" or more, and butcher block, about 18"x 24" (to accommodate the with of the phono stage). Vary the widths according to your circumstances. That way it's a lot sturdier that the shelves they sell you, plus comes out easily at half the cost, sometimes even less. The only thing to pay attention to is placement - you want to make sure you attach the brackets to wall beams, and that they (walls) can support the weight. You can probably get away with sturdy plywood, too.

4. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

I vote for a you-made one. I covered mine with fabric and looks good. You can choose any fabric that suits your decor.

5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Any recommended artisans doing this, feel free to PM their info. Am just starting to figure this one out.

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

First Generation, original Target Wall Shelf will do it for you-has to be the first one as shown below. Later models are less substantial and will not cut it. Top shelf is 21 1/8" x 19 1/8". Spikes to level the top shelf.

The MDF top shelf that came with them was crap anyway. I'd just source a thick piece of baltic birch that would be substantial enough to support the weight and paint it (I use a custom constrained layer shelf that I created with baltic birch, 1/8" neoprene sheet and extruded acrylic).

Source some lengthy lag bolts and you're good to go. You can do chin ups on these.

They show up from time to time on the various audio sites. Saw one a few weeks ago that appeared to have been powder coated in a dark plum color. Throw up a wanted ad on some of the different audio sites and you'll probably come up with one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  7. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Weight and size are my concern. The VPI Aries 1 is a big, wide, and heavy table.

8. eflatminor

I ended up finding a great solution from a UK company called Quadraspire. Their new wall shelves can handle a lot of weight and look great. The back plate and bracket arms are made of bamboo (strong stuff) and come in either natural, black or silver. The shelf itself can also be bamboo or one of several stained woods.

[​IMG]

To ensure a solid installation, I cut a mounting base from one inch thick marine plywood to match the size of the back plate on the Quadraspire. After sanding the plywood and painting its edges black, I mounted it directly into the wall studs with long lag bolts, being sure to countersink the heads of the bolts. Then I mounted the back plate of the Quadraspire unit on to the plywood. I swear I could stand on the thing and it wouldn't budge.

Highly recommended if you're not into DIY or a bespoke shelf. The fit and finish is excellent and the adjustable feet ensure a level shelf. Quadraspire also makes a less beefy shelf if you don't need to handle so much weight.

9. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

My Denon DP-60L is a beast as well and I'm also thinking about a wall shelf to free up some space on my rack mostly. I need a shelf that can handle it. How is the best way to mount these? Do I need to find a solid stud in the wall?

10. eflatminor

Yes, you need to mount any shelf into the wall's studs using long lag bolts. In fact, you'll want to ensure you hit at least two studs, with two bolts in each.

As I described above, if you can first mount a plate into the studs (I used marine plywood) and then mount the wall shelf on that, you'll ensure a sturdy installation.

Wasabi likes this.
  11. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Thank you for the advice. I have a contractor friend with a mean set of tools so I'll consult him on how much I'd have to modify the wall per your advice. It's an outer wall and I don't want to tear it up ($$). Another shelf on my stand (Pangea Vulcan TT) may be the better way for me to go for my situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.