Warped/ bent cantilever on Rega Exact?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by monster_beetle, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monster_beetle

monster_beetle New Member Thread Starter

Hi all, I am new here on the forums and found that these forums are a like a little goldmine with lots of knowledge available.

Recently I had a look at my Rega Exact 2 cartridge, and it looks like it is a little warped but still lines out in the middle. Everything sounds perfectly fine though. Still, I am a bit worried if it has to be replaced (maybe it could damage my records like this...). I haven't been able to find someone with a similar problem when looking around.

I have made some pictures to show you what I mean. I am looking forward to hear your opinions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Be careful. Lining up your line of sight (or camera) with the cartridge precisely is difficult and could be misleading. Also the cantilever appears to be a bit uneven at the end, which is common, not just with Rega. What matters is whether the stylus rides vertical in the groove. To establish that you'd need larger magnification, or better yet, an oscilloscope or Fozgometer azimuth measurement. From your pictures, I would not dare to make any diagnosis.

3. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Nice pictures. I can't see the misalignment that you suggest, but I'm not there looking at it. In any event it does not appear grossly misaligned and if it sounds fine you're probably OK.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

If it's truly off you can have the cartridge repaired at The Soundsmith, he has three option for new cantilevers and stylus. I had mine done there using the mid-price $250 option to excellent results.

5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

It would help if you observed (and possibly took a picture) from the front with the stylus resting on the mirror side of a CD, not a record. Be careful, pull the antiskate plug out as far as it goes and place something (a narrow glass) next to the platter as the arm will have a tendency to swing out. Seeing the reflection of the entire stylus will help you judge that your line of sight is correct. It will also expose the stylus more to judge it perpendicularity.

6. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Looks OK to me. After a few beers I've seen a lot worse on my own cartridge :)

Manimal, c-eling and timztunz like this.
  7. monster_beetle

monster_beetle New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! (and sorry for my late reply :$)
    It looks like the stylus is perfectly fine. The uneven cantilever still bothers me a bit, could it damage my records?

8. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

My Exact completely is same situation as well as the OP :cop:

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

There is nothing wrong with your stylus or cantilever. Mind you, if I stare at the photos long enough something starts to look off, but it's just eye fatigue kicking in. Nothing you're observing can damage your records in any way. I'm running a Rega RP6 with the Exact 2. It looks no different from your cartridge and stylus.

I just checked my Shure V15 Type IV that's mounted on an SME arm on my old Sony PS2251. Same thing there - if I stare at it through my stylus scope for long enough, something starts to look 'off' but it's really nothing. Your photos only show a perfectly normal Exact and stylus. Change angles and it will look different again.

10. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Thank you for your suggestion :) it's a very helpful...

11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Stumbled across this thread as I also have a Rega Exact which I believe is setup on my Rega Planar 3 correctly.
    However the yellow body rides very close to the vinyl. Playback sounds fine but the gap seems to be a one or two mm only.
    Looking sideways on I can only see a very little part of the cantilever. Is this normal ?

12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

They do tend to be "low riders".

13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Finally purchased a stylus force gauge for my Rega Exact and found out that instead of 1.75g I had 2.5g set !! I have been playing LPs with this force setting for the last 6 months. Will this have damaged the needle in any way ? Or any records ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Not likely but I've found the Exact, to sound its best, needs to set be at or very close to the recommended 1.75 grams. And that 'low riding' effect you noticed should be less now, I think. Good luck!

timnor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.