Warren Zevon "Keep Me In Your Heart" DVD Out Today (Feb. 10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Just in case, like me, you hadn't heard until now, Warren Zevon's DVD "Keep Me In Your Heart" was moved up from a March release date, to now, probably to tie in with the Grammy's.

Supposedly has an hour of extra footage not on the VH1 broadcast.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Reechie,

What will be on it? I only recently got The Wind and love every track on it.

3. reechie

Basically it's an extended version of the VH1 documentary that ran around the time The Wind was released. Shows in the studio and related footage about the making of the album. Very nicely done, I'm looking forward to seeing the extended cut.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cool. I'll be looking for this one.

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Didja see Zevon's son accept his Grammy the other night? That was pretty moving.
    For me that was the highlight of the show. That and Chick Corea playing with Foo Fighters.
    RIP Warren
    Peace-
    Norm

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I heard parts of the Zevon Grammy (I was in the other room). Now I wish I woulda poked my head in there.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I haven't seen the doc yet; the pictures they showed during the tribute (and the beautful background vocals) had me weeping. Can't wait to pick up the DVD although I know it'll have me crying again.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I will be looking for this one. I missed it when it originally aired on VH1. I recall a post from Mark describing the show and I remember nearly kicking myself for forgetting to set the VCR.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

This is the VH-1 documentary? Great!

I only saw parts of it while I was at work, but enough for me to want to see the rest. It sure put things into perspective for me that day.

Warren was having a hard time doing some vocals (I was struggling with a singer that day too) and the producer said let's finish for today and try again tomorrow. Warren said something like I haven't got too many tomorrows left so we should keep working.

I don't know that much about Warren's music but everything I've seen about him sure makes me like who he was.

10. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Can anyone verify if the extra footage has any of the sessions with Tommy Shaw?

11. reechie

Sorry, no Tommy Shaw content whatsoever.

The main program is the same as it was shown on VH1, no extra footage has been inserted into the original documentary.

All of the extra footage promised is part of the bonus selections. Warren's three interviews for the program are shown in extended versions. He talks in depth about his career history, the album sessions and his illness. They don't seem to be the complete interviews, but they are long and much that was not used in the program is presented.

Music videos for "Keep Me In Your Heart" and "Disorder In The House" feature footage both from the special, and outtake footage.

Among the in studio footage presented are two extended pieces of Bruce Springsteen recording guitar parts in the control room, reminiscing with Warren, and a bit of guitar shop talk.

Ry Cooder is shown recording his slide parts for "Prison Grove"

A bit of dark humor from Billy Bob Thornton and Dwight Yokum, joking about Zevon's various pain meds, along the lines of, "When you crack open the morphine, it's time to start songwriting."

A few bits of conversation with Jackson Browne and T. Bone Burnett, and some footage of Warren messing around with the documentary's director.

There's a short bit of footage of Tom Petty in the control room listening to a playback of "Party For The Rest Of The Night." He fools around with some masking tape and the camera lens. Zevon doesn't appear to be present for this segment. Kind of a waste if you were hoping for some interesting Petty footage.

Finally, some silent home movie footage of Zevon taken in 1965 and 1970 is included.

12. StyxCollector

Thanks. I know the sessions with Tommy were filmed. Guess they'll just sit in a can forever!

13. reechie

With the possible exception of Springsteen, there's really not enough reason for anyone to buy this disc based on the guest star list. If you're picking it up, do it to see Warren.
    :)

14. StyxCollector

I agree ... I'm not a Zevon fan. I'm only buying his latest because Tommy is on there. I can respect people like him, but I never felt the kinship with his music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.