Warren Zevon's "The Wind" - Review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

I got an advance review copy of this over the weekend. The enclosures confirm an August 26 release date. If this is Warren Zevon’s epitaph, it’s a hell of a way to go. It sits right up there with his best work. I’m not sure that I want to even think about the emotion pulsating through this record. There are some incredible performances on this, clearly by his friends who knew what was at stake in the studio. I’m amazed that his voice sounds as strong as it does, but he sounds amazingly strong here. Here’s a snippet on the songs on this extraordinary album:

“Dirty Life and Times” – A wistful look back, perfect to begin this record. BB Thornton and Dwight Yoakam on background vocals, Ry Cooder on guitar and Don Henley on drums.

“Disorder in the House” – A rocker with Bruce Springsteen on very prevalent background vocals and surprisingly killer lead guitar.

“Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” – If I gotta describe this one, you’ve been under a rock for the past year. BB and Jackson Browne on background vocals. Great slide work by Randy Mitchell.

“Numb as a Statue” – An up-tempo tune, with Warren on piano, and David Lindley on lap steel. The sense of humor is clearly intact. Lyrics include “I’m pale as a ghost.”

“She’s Too Good for Me”—A Warren love song, and we know what that brings. Henley and Timothy B. Schmit on background vocals. Luis Conte’s conga work adds deep atmosphere to this song.

“Prison Grove” – A smorgasbord of sadness and longing, behind WZ’s quiet vocal influence, with Ry on lead, Lindley on saz, Calderon on electric, and Jackson, Bruce, T-Bone Burnett and Jordan Zevon on background vocals.

“El Amor de mi Vida” – A Spanish influence, written by Warren and Calderon, with James Raymond on piano.

“”The Rest of the Night” – Warren Zevon and the Heartbreakers. A rocker, though somewhat restrained, with TP on background vocals and Mike Campbell on very Mike Campbell-type lead guitar. WZ plays electric guitar on this one.

“Please Stay” – Another quiet, earnest, love song, with the incomparable Emmylou Harris on harmonies. WZ’s voice is breaking on this one, and it gets you right in the gut.

The art of dying, indeed.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The amazing thing is, the way things are going, Warren might actually live to see this album released. BTW, a bummer on The Howard Stern Show, with a staffer announcing Warren had actually been dead for a week, with the news being withheld. A shame.

Evan

3. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Thanks, Mark. I very much look forward to hearing the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.