Was any kind of official ban on swearing on records lifted at any point?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I believe Al Stewart's Love Chronicles was one of the first mainstream albums, in the UK at least, to include 'f$%#ing' in the lyrics, but it's buried in the 18 minute title track so maybe no one ever noticed. That was late 1969.

aroney likes this.
  2. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Wasn't that edit bleep (on "Death On Two Legs") actually cutting out the person's name and not a swear word, or was it another song?

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Since it was part of a long ambitious track by someone who wasn't (yet) part of the pop world, it probably fell under the "artistic license" category.

I think this was where he identified the subject as Queen's former manager.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, he said it about David Palmer being off stage during the introductions. Later, he said, "Ah, David's back. Did you give it a good shake?" Which is kind of ironic, in retrospect...

Every copy of Morris On I've ever heard also bleeps the word, though in that case it was as a slang for drunk rather than pee.

ParloFax likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I swear it's censored more now than it was twenty years ago. Same for "Walk On The Wild Side."

6. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

It's been censored for f$^%%@ years, absolutely years.

7. AztecChimera

Our local AOR station used to play almost everything (Money, Who Are You, Jet Airliner, The Devil Went Down To Georgia, etc.) uncensored but have within the last couple of years switched to "clean" versions.

8. AztecChimera

You heard "Precious" on AM?! :yikes: I DJ'ed for my left-of-the-FM-dial college station and I think that song was "Do not play before 8pm".

Mylene likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Think they bleeped that to make it funnier!

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I remember we couldn't believe it when we heard Barry McGuire sing the word "hell" in the song "Mr. Man on the Street - Act One" on the "Eve of Destruction" album in 1965.

I never heard the song on the radio, however.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

And Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing" in 1967. Listen 45 seconds or so into "A Small Package of Value...". It's clearer on the mono LP.

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Apparently John drops the F-bomb in the song "Hey Jude," but in the hundreds of times I've heard the song I never noticed it (apparently it's pretty buried).

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's there, but I doubt anyone heard it before Geoff Emerick's book pointed it out.

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Once you've heard it for the first time, you will never miss it again.

It's about 2 minutes 59 if I remember rightly, just before the "better, better, better, waaaahhh!!!!" part, it goes like this, with John's swear in brackets said at the same time as Paul starts "begin"-

"Remember, to let her under your skin, then you (F%^in' 'ell!) begin, to make it better, better, better....."

It seems a little more prominent to me in the stereo version, but still clearly audible in mono.

Remington Steele likes this.
  15. For years and years I had thought it was someone shouting "Come on!" to the crowd, for the singalong out-chorus.

16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I've always wondered what was said there. I've always heard something, but I'm still wondering what it is. I don't think it's the F bomb.

17. I heard it uncensored everywhere on the air for at least a couple of decades after release... Perhaps always, over here...

Anyone into CHOM-FM (or "CHOM-FM-tolerant" enough, at least...) here who came confirm or infirm this?

18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I always heard Money with a word replaced with "tish" , it sounds like they just did a a splice and flipped it around backward.
    As if, somehow, nobody would be able to figure out what "bulltish" is.

19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I agree, not that it should be banned but what I really think you are saying is it needn't be spoken. These days you can't be in public without some idiot using the F word, no matter who's around, kids, etc. I think the young 16-24 year old generation has a lot of folks that think it's just a word like crap and use it regularly. Dumbf@#ks!

Harvest Your Thoughts likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, by the time he got to that lyric, the drugs had typically really started to kick in for the listener. Or else they'd left the room for a pee break.

hominy likes this.
  21. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

"We Can Be Together" by Jefferson Airplane.
    Gets played on 102.3 FM here and the profanity is said so rapidly I don't thing the station management( or the average listener) even notices.
    Saw a dvd with the Airplane playing this song on The Dick Cavett Show in '69 and you can hear the song fully lyrically intact on the broadcast tape.

22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

"There are no such things as bad words, only bad intentions." - George Carlin

lpfreak1170 and crispi like this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It was a SHOCK to hear that he DID get the 'F'-word in on "Freak Out!"
    It was said near the end of"Monster Magnet" with all the 'chipmonk' voices, and you can hear it, slowed down, on the "Project/Object" version of "FO!"

24. doug1956

doug1956 Forum Resident

"A Boy Named Sue" was recorded in 1969 or thereabouts by Johnny Cash.
    It contains the line "son of a b****" but I believe it was censored on the radio,
    at the time at least.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was censored on record too. The only way to hear it at the time was to watch the TV special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.