Way To Fix Sharp Sounding Sibilants?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Sibilants/the 'S' sound is very sharp with my headphones (Audiofly AF78). Is there any way to fix or deaden it or something? It's only sharp on less well recorded songs and at high volume but my other cheaper headphones don't have the same problem whatsoever.

Please no "get better headphones" comments, please. I'm more than happy with my $200 in-ears in terms of sound quality, it's just this slight annoyance. Better equipment obviously would fix it but considering how my $70 in-ears don't have the same problem it's not an issue with buying cheaper hardware. Anyone know of any programs or something to help the pain?

2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Well since you don't list your gear in your profile page, not much help we can be. At this point all I can say is your $200 IEM are better resolution than the $70 ones so it makes sense that if you have an issue with the system components, you will hear it in the better IEM.

Sooooo.......swap out your IEM if you don't want to hear the sibilant sounds.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I guess you are talking about a portable player or a computer source since you mention programs? You can choose the best headphone amps, headphones, and then you still have to listen to whatever the recording quality is. Some recordings are better than others. Are your source recordings that you are concerned about CD quality or Hi-Rez, or are they mp3? You can get programs for Android, Mac, Windows players that have EQ or compression which might help some there. No one knows what to suggest until you completely fill us in on what you have there now. That is what you equipment profile is for in your member profile section, under information. Once we can see what we have to work with, we can make useful suggestions.
    -Bill

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Without my first cup of coffee, I thought the thread title read:

Way To Fix Sharp Sounding Siblings?

You don't want to know my answer...

5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Sorry, adding it on my profile. I'd yet to look at the profile page. AF78 in-ear headphones connected to an iPad 3. Nothing special whatsoever. I've found on similar threads on other forums that some headphones have this issue more than others, and they're talking about $1000 headphones and on well recorded music.

And sometimes I lack common sense, mentioning that I listen through an iPad and therefore I'm talking about software to fix the issue might have been a bit helpful, huh. Oops.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

As you're listening off an ipad, I suggest you find a way to play any offending music through a De-esser plugin where you can set the threshold/frequency to just catch the problem 's'.
    You could also use a multi-band compressor but this may be a little more difficult to setup.

However, it'll probably catch the hihats etc a little by default but should change the whole thing less than a general eq change.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Thanks, I'll have a look into it.

8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Yep, a De-Esser is what we use in the biz for that. The least intrusive way to do it is by hand with spectral editing, but I would't wanna do that for every track I listen to! A good, carefully tuned De-Esser will automate the process. You could maybe start with something like TDR Nova (a multi-band EQ with built in dynamics) which has a free version, and a De-Esser preset. I occasionally still use Spitfish which is an ancient and free VST plugin, but it works really well. Other well respected option are DMG Essence and Fab Filter Pro DS.

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Cheers, when listening on my computer those will definitely be helpful. Oddly enough my iPhone isn't nearly as sharp as my iPad or my computer. Tested using The Doors debut and all those painful sounds so frequent on the album are gone! Just which my iPhone had decent storagel

10. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Maybe a portable external headphone DAC connected to your ipad/computer might also help.

JoshM likes this.
  11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What does that do? Other than help deesse.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It doesn't Deesse, but it does improve literally everything else. In fact, if it is the DAC configuration and analog output of your iPad that is contributing to what you are describing as sibilants, and it may be so based upon your observation of other devices not being so stark in that respect, the addition of an outboard DAC with headphone output may provide a satisfactory cure for that. There is really only one way to find out. The up side is that since it will certainly improve every other aspect of the listening experience, there is no down side!
    -BIll

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

So it really improves sound, huh? I'll have to have a look into that.

14. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I'd add that if you are getting a lot of sibilance all the time, then it would be far better to identify the part of the chain causing it, and replace that, rather than resorting to continually de-essing everything.

KT88 likes this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes.

-Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.