Weather Report - The Columbia Studio and Live Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaveinMA, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    This is coming out next week. Aside from the fact that it's all the studio and live albums released during their existence plus the post-breakup Live & Unreleased and the Legendary Live Tapes, does anyone have any info?
    I'm interested to hear whether they're just straight reissues or if they've seen any remastering.

2. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Curious too

3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Disappointing. I wish they would release live stuff with Alfonso Johnson versions of the band. Something with Greg Errico would be welcome also.

MungoMusic and Shrdlu like this.
  4. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Looks nice.. I think I'm not quite enough of a fan to go for that big a set. Probably I'll do the usual thing and develop an interest when it's OOP and no longer affordable :p

5. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Listened to their first album last night, still so good.

johnaltman likes this.
  6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy Thread Starter

Do you have Live In Berlin 1975?

Comet01 and chrisblower like this.
  7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have all of it. It’s great music.

gregorya likes this.
  8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Yes. Also the Solarizations and Berkeley bootlegs.

9. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

That’s good to see as the previously boxed sets (The Columbia Albums 1971-1975 and 1976-1982) have been going for high prices ($80 used, $180 3rd party vendors) and those masterings get high marks around here. I never got around to getting the 1st set to replace older masterings, so I’m hoping for either hi-res download releases or that the older 1st set will now go down in price.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Will there be any alternate takes of Wayne Shorter playing songs an actual tenor saxophone??

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I received my copy yesterday.

This is an all jewel case release with no booklet. Cover reproduction only of the original releases, each back cover is just a track listing, same layout and color for each of the cases. Printing quality of the covers. . . not great. Inside there is personnel and track information, recording dates and locations, no further information or liner notes.

There's no mastering or transfer information anywhere that I can see. I've compared a few discs to the Mark Wilder engineered discs in the two recent smaller box sets. Though not identical sounding to me, they are not very different. Those discs I've heard I confess sound very good to me on my system.

I think this includes all the Weather Report material except any tracks that were first released on the "Forecast Tomorrow" box set and included as bonus tracks in the two smaller box sets with Wilder mastering.

ultron9 and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  12. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I have them all. I would only be interested if these were some amazing remasters. The original CDs aren’t really problematic to my ears. I love these albums though and hope they are reasonably mastered for new listeners.

13. Lonson

I love these albums too and I totally understand not wanting to re-buy them. As for masterings I don't find any of the previous releases problematic. So far what I have heard of these sound as good or better than previous issues . . I'm not one to proclaim "amazing" for masterings any longer, I feel it's all so subjective--I often disagree with "consensus" proclamations on this forum. These certainly aren't shrill, harsh, thin or "squashed" to my ears on my system. I'm enjoying having them all in one format, size and place and re-listening. (It's been a while for some of these).

showtaper likes this.
  14. Lonson

Been enjoying this set. I wouldn't be surprised if this is new mastering, the sound seems homogenous across the board, and very nice--not too loud, nice tonal balance and dynamics. Printing quality of the covers could be better, notes and mastering details would be nice, but I got it at a decent pre-order price and I'm enjoying it.

ultron9, showtaper and fredblue like this.
  15. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

thanks for all the info Lonson :)

are the Mysterious Traveller & Tale Spinnin' CDs in this new set the original Stereo mixes or SQ-encoded Quad remixes?

Lonson likes this.
  16. Lonson

I have no idea, I think they are the real mixes. . . I've never to my knowledge heard a SQ-encoded Quad mix of these.

fredblue likes this.
  17. fredblue

afaik the previous CDs of Mysterious Traveller & Tale Spinnin' were the Stereo mixes so if things like instrument balance and various elements being more or
    less prominent (and in some instances things are missing altogether in the Stereo compared to the Quad and vice versa) sound the same in the new versions then they will be the same Stereo mixes as before.

thank you for all the previous info anyway, i may pick this set up as a Xmas present (to myself!) :D

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've heard the quad of Mysterious Traveller. It has some extra saxophone in "Cucumber Slumber" mixed out of the standard version.

fredblue likes this.
  19. Lonson

Cool, pretty sure this is the stereo mix then.

fredblue likes this.
  20. fredblue

the Quad of Tale Spinnin' similarly has some cool mix differences from the Stereo, its one of my all-time favourite Quads.

21. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

How does a box set of this size & stature end up w/no information re: lineage, mastering, etc.? All of the other big Columbia box sets I own are all well-detailed in that regard.

Definitely gives me pause before spending $ on what otherwise would be an awesome addition to my collection. I only physically own maybe 2 or 3 Weather Report CDs/LPs.

22. I'd like it if it was actually in stock again.

23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I got mine today. Ok, it's a bit annoying that there is no booklet or anything, but the whole thing only costed me 70 euros, and as it had eleven albums that i didn't have already, i consider it a very good deal.

What a band!

24. Agreed about the booklet. What would it have added to the cost? Not much. I mean I'm not going to complain too much because I ended it paying $30 when Amazon screwed something up big time and gave me a $50 credit.

25. It was nice to revisit the music after such a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.