Welcome to Leith (documentary)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Just an early heads up. As part of the series Independent Lens, PBS will broadcast this documentary on April 4.

It is about a small town in North Dakota where a white supremacist (Craig Cobb) tried to takeover the town:

Welcome to Leith | Documentary about White Supremacists in North Dakota | Independent Lens | PBS »

On the Rotten Tomato tomatometer, it garnered 97% (37 positive reviews, 1 negative): Welcome To Leith »

I am fascinated by many documentaries, and this looks like an interesting and important one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

This is streaming on the PBS web site presently: Welcome to Leith Full Film | Videos | Independent Lens | PBS »
    as part of the Independent Lens series.

Leith, ND has a total population of 24 (including children) and covers about three square miles. Craig Cobb is a vocal leader in the white supremacist movement, and he begins to buy up land, then sells these lots to other white supremacists, in an effort to take over the town and have a safe haven (sic) for white supremacists to live in. It has a languid pace, but allows the persons on both sides do most of the talking, and it provides a perspective on the white supremacist movement. While I despise all hate groups, and consider one based on race/skin color especially detestable, I was struck that during rare moments, how ordinary these folk were who held these bizarre and utterly disgusting views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.