Well-Known 90s vinyl that goes for a fortune (for example, Love and Theft)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ccn103, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progmog

progmog Senior Member

These just fall outside of the 90s (2001 and 2002, respectively), but they are equally difficult to get hold of unless you are willing to pay serious coin:

The Black Crowes: Lions

Robert Plant: Dreamland

2. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I know this thread is primarilly about albums, but I'm surprised that '90s 45s aren't more valuable than they are. The ones that did come out in the '90s were usually pressed in very small quantities - especially comparing them to hit 45s of previous decades - yet I rarely see talk about them or hear that any of them are that valuable.

Surprising...

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some radiohead b-sides have their only vinyl release on the 90's 45s. They aren't on those brown covered 12 inches things that came out in the last 2 years.

I would say most new vinyl collectors find 45s a bit of a nuisance to store.

4. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I'm pretty fascinated by the era of vinyl, especially as its my job to know this stuff.

Here are some that I own-

Steely Dan - Two against nature (yes, 2000)
    Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
    Tom Waits - Bone Machine
    Rickie Lee Jones - Pop pop
    Stereolab, Broadcast, Tindersticks, etc.

and more, no doubt.

5. xtianDC

xtianDC Forum Resident

Dunno how sought after these are but within the last week I've acquired:

REM "UP"
    Pavement "Terror Twilight" (original pressing, not the newer 120gm low price version)

Both sound great and were acquired at reasonable prices!

6. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Personally, I love 45s and I'm always thrilled to find some from this era. I have a Cardigans 45 I found in a bin, and a whole slew of Yo La Tengo 7"s.

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

these "rare" albums are all going to be reissued soon... there is demand

8. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

This is true. Although the indie store here can't do anything to sell their LPs by Everclear and Live that have been sitting unloved on display for almost a year.

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've wanted this for years, but never thought I'd find an affordable copy.

Then I saw one for $20 at a record show yesterday. Couldn't believe it! It sure sounds wonderful.

[​IMG]

10. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Great score! I finally got a copy a week or so ago for ~$40.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I worked in a high street store between 90 and 95. Reading this thread is strange. We had sales three or four times a year when we would get boxes and boxes of special stock in from a supplier. The supplier basically bought deletions and overstocks from the major distributors like Sony, EMI, BMG.

Boxes and boxes of vinyl all price at 99p, £1.99 and £2.99. So many of the titles mentioned in this thread used to be in those boxes and many more, i.e. vinyl that was a year or two old and hadn't sold. If I had a time machine....

It may have been different in the US but in the UK vinyl vanished from the high streets during the first half of the decade. The indie shops still had dance and punk and that sort of stuff, but mainstream vinyl was gone. Young people got a cd player as their first machine, and many never and have never bought vinyl, and the vast majority of older people switched to vinyl. We would actually order 50 copies of a new release cd, maybe 5 cassettes and 1 vinyl album, which was actually used for the display more than to sell it.

12. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Canada had already reached that situation in 1991. After that, vinyl was only found in indie stores, most of it being US/UK/EU imports.

13. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Just got one of my most wanted 90's albums in the mail!

[​IMG]

Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

It's fairly beat up, but I only paid 40.00 for it...

14. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I was in college and law school from 1990 through 1997. I didn't know anybody that bought vinyl.

I still had my vinyl from the pre-CD days but didn't really buy much during this time period. Once I started working, I picked up a lot of the Pearl Jam, and some of the others that have been mentioned. I've never considered selling any of it, but I didn't realize any of it was highly sought-after.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

...and "Love & Theft," the album in the thread title, came out in 2001.

16. electric man

electric man Member

A copy of Bob Dylan's World Gone Wrong is at $137 with 7 bids on Ebay with 1 day to go, that's some serious money.

17. surfingelectrode

18. electric man

electric man Member

19. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I did. I'd like to find buyers to sell them to.

I've got Bob Dylan's L&T, Time... Some Tom Pettys and two Liz Phairs. Maybe some others.

Makes no sense to me to keep them if people are spending crazy money for them.

20. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

This is one of my 'holy grail' wants...only seemed to be released in Greece and other odd places. I've seen a few on ebay going for up to $100...

Annie Lennox - Diva --hard to find a good copy.

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever.

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

But in the case of Amy Grant, anything that any record company puts out has to be approved by Amy and her management so the Heart In Motion vinyl may remain collectible and in fact, Amy and her staff are aware of the resurging interest in LPs.

22. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

I don't get the title of this thread. I picked up a sealed copy of Dylan's Love & Theft LP for $15 last week. :)

23. surfingelectrode

If you've got a copy of Hit to Death in the Future Head that you don't want, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Hey surfingelectrode...do you have that Lips/Mr. Bungle split 7"? The Lips do Ballrooms Of Mars by T.Rex.

25. surfingelectrode

Nope, I only own two of their 7"s... a split with the Black Keys with Madonna and Beefheart covers, and "Silent Night / Lord, Can You Hear Me?" b/w "It's Christmas Time Again".

I need to get that Bungle split and a few others.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1320/flips.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.