Wes Craven's New Nightmare (A Nightmare On Elm Street sequel)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - Wikipedia

Did anyone else really enjoy Wes Craven's New Nightmare? I love the concept and execution of this movie- the evil of Freddy Krueger manifests itself into the "real world" and terrorizes Heather Langenkamp and goes after her son.

I thought that the new makeup and costume they gave the evil "Freddy spirit" was outstanding and Robert was pretty damn terrifying. It was nice to see Freddy being scary again instead of just being a not-very-scary joke-telling machine like he'd evolved into in the last few sequels before this one.

Rhapsody In Red and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this is really the only sequel to the original worth a darn

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

I like Dream Warriors a lot and I think it's a worthy followup to the first (and it helps me forget about Freddy's Revenge). #ExplodingParrokeet. :)

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I think the fourth one (The Dream Master) is underrated. NOES did have its low points, but overall I love the franchise.

5. PaulKTF

I like Dream Master a whole lot better than Dream Child. :)

6. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Part 2 creeped me out because of the school bus scene. As I got older and learned more about certain other aspects of part 2 I view the movie totally differently now.

But yeah, part 1, part 3 and New Nightmare make for a good trilogy.

7. PaulKTF

I kind of like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare just because it's so weird and has some pretty creative deaths.

8. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

It's one of the best sequels, I rate it just behind 'Dream Warriors.' The whole aspect that the plot takes place in the real world with the actual actors was a good call, and makes it unique in the franchise.

I'm a horror junky though, and I have a soft spot for the 80s slashers that I grew up with, so I love all of the Freddy movies, even the hated 'Part II' in all of its homoerotic glory. :p

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. PaulKTF

Oh man, that scene where the coach dies is just.... yeah. :)

Sammy Banderas and profholt82 like this.
  10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Dream Warriors was a great movie. Dream Master was okay but I didn't like the new Kristen as much as Patricia Arquette.

Did you see how many Elm Street alumni will be at the Chicago Horror Con?
    Flashback Weekend Chicago Horror Convention

11. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I think the concept for New Nightmare is interesting, but like most Craven films, it falters and flails around at its conclusion.

The original and Dream Warriors are terrific. Hell, even the utter stupidity of Freddy's Revenge has some charm - albeit strictly as an 80's time capsule of homoerotic arrested development. The rest are dire.

It's a shame that Krueger's original nature was utterly diluted as time went on, to the point where (as has been said elsewhere) his one-liner buffoonery turned him into the Roger Moore of 80s horror cinema.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. I did! The first and New Nightmare are my favorite of the franchise. Both are the vision of Wes Craven being written and direct by him. I liked how they twisted things up by blurring the lines between nightmare and reality, in a fresh and clever way thats different than the original movie. There was a line I think Wes told the actress in a car that was utterly brilliant but I forget. It's been a long time...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. PaulKTF

Yeah, they even started marketing him on toys for kids by the late 80's.

Yes, they put a character who was a child rapist/child murderer (that's why the Elm Street parents torched him and killed him) on toys for kids! :yikes:

The Freddy Krueger Squirt Head:

[​IMG]

The Freddy Krueger Yo-Yo (!):

[​IMG]

And of course a Nintendo video game!

[​IMG]

Given the character's backstory that is really twisted... I mean I know the movies kind of deluded the origin story as they went on, but seriously?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

There were Rambo toys and a cartoon.. the 80s were awesome!

15. PaulKTF

And Robocop!

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw that one, but I like 1, 2, and 3 the best.

gitters likes this.
  17. I've seen the whole series multiple times. The only ones that I still enjoy are 1-4. I never understood the hate that part 2 gets, and the praise for part 3. Dream Warriors is my least favorite of the first four.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.