Wet/Dry Vacuum for Record Cleaning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I'm happy with the Disc Doctor system. I'd like to use a small shop vac to suck up the remaining water after rinsing.

Should I put cloth at the end of the hose to avoid scuffing? If so, what is a good material to use, and how should I attach it to the hose?

I was thinking of soft cotton and rubber bands.

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

How about a piece of velvet with a cut down the middle, glued to the end of the hose? I think the vacuum arms on RCMs are like that, covered in velvet with a slit along the length of the tube.

Just an idea, let us know how it turns out

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Someone actually makes a cheap vacuum system that hooks to a wet/dry vacuum. For the record (no pun intended), my Record Doctor (Nitty Gritty sold by Addio Advisor) has just what Damián mentioned: a suction bar that is covered in felt, with a slit down the middle. I wonder if you could somehow modify an old crevice tool to do the same.

4. Damián

Check out this
    [​IMG]
    It looks pretty much like what you'd want.

5. CardinalFang

Perfect... thanks! I think I'll fish out one of my old Dual tables and set up my own cleaning station. :righton:

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

What you mean there may be the EV-1 machine from KAB USA:

[​IMG]

This thing actually works, and quite well, I might add;)

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's the one I was thinking of...thanks! It looks surprisingly like the Record Doctor, but smaller since it has no motor inside. And it is a little smaller overall. But functionally I think it should work well! :)

8. Damián

Not the 1219! :eek:

Seriously, see if you can find a non-working table at some junk shop for like $2 or something, you only need the platter and bearing. Those Duals aren't all that bad, you might regret tearing them apart over time.

9. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

I have a 1 HP wet/dry vac that I use with Disc Doctor fluid and brushes. Works great. At the end of the hose I use a strip of white cotton cloth, just to make sure I don't scuff a record. I just use an old T-shirt: I cut it into 1" by 3" strips, then fold a strip in two for a nice clean edge and wrap a rubber band around it. Not only is this cheap, but it's easy to replace the cotton strip once it gets dirty (after a dozen or so LPs).

10. CardinalFang

No, I have another Dual (can't remember the number) that I keep for parts. Might as well use the platter for something useful! :)

11. CardinalFang

Cool, that's what I was thinking about doing. Those little Shop Vacs are $19.99 over at Lowes.

12. CardinalFang

Well, I bought the smallest Shop-Vac at Lowes, and it's WAY too powerful for record cleaning. I should have thought about that... why was I thinking about size when I should have considered HP? This one is 2.5 HP.

It may just be that I'm using the end of the hose, not a slotted crevice adapter. I'll try that next.

13. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

What you could try is a hose with a valve (or some kind of an adjustable opening) to reduce the suction pressure.

14. Damián

Man... that REALLY sucks.

15. CardinalFang

Yuck yuck! :D

"I'll be here all week folks!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.