Whaddya think of my Red Hot Avery-tar???

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

I was nosing around the 'Net and found this luscious image of Tex Avery's Red - hubba hubba ding dong - whatta youse think of that celluoid siren??? :D

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Preston Blair animated her. She was in such demand that cells were stolen right off the animation camera during lunch!

More images here:

http://texavery.com/

3. indy mike

Yessiree - Mr. Blair also did the dancing hippos in Fantasia - animation at its finest...

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't usually like painted ladies but she's one hot piece of a$$!

5. indy mike

WOW! Red looks extra superfine after guzzling some of that juice from Tex's King Sized Canary! :cool:

6. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Zoo.

That looks great!

7. indy mike

HZ performed a little magic to make Red more va-va-va-viewable - boy, I'd sure like a cel of her in that pose!

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

9. indy mike

I've seen the set - it's got alla the Avery MGM toons (even the naughty ones that don't get shown anymore). Jerry Beck isn't sure when the MGM Avery stuff will hit DVD - Tom and Jerry is slated for next year....

10. Steve Hoffman

I have a couple volumes.

I usually show one before a feature, just like the good old days in the movies.

11. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

[​IMG]
    When did she first appear? Looks pretty risque for the 'golden age' of cartoons..

12. Steve Hoffman

1943, wasn't it, experts?

13. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Indy,

I'm no expert but I have to say that you own the hottest avatar going!

Hummina hummina.

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

its hotter than mine! :D

15. Steve Hoffman

You've gotta see those Preston Blair animated babes to believe them. He did all the animation himself, no rotoscoping at all; just on his own. An amazing and forgotton figure in cartoon animation.

From the Internet:

Preston Blair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preston Blair worked with Al Eugster on Krazy Kat cartoons for the Mintz studio. Blair later went to Disney, where he was an animator on "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and "Dance of the Hours" sequences in Fantasia.

In the '40's, Blair moved to MGM where he worked for Tex Avery. His best known work during that period was Red, first seen in Red Hot Riding Hood and in the cartoons Swingshift Cinderella, The Shooting of Dan McGoo and Red Hot Riding Hood.

Blair co-directed three MGM cartoons with Michael Lah. They are The Bear and the Hare, The Bear and the Bean, and Goggle Fishing Bear.

In later years, Blair worked on many TV commercials and produced a whole episode of the first season of The Flintstones.

Blair was also the author of two books on animation, called Animation and How to Animate Film Cartoons, published by Walter Foster. Both these books continue to be valuable resources for professional animators and animation students.

Attached Files:

• red.jpg
      red.jpg
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
  16. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Red Hot Riding Hood
    This 1942 Tex Avery, MGM cartoon begins as the traditional Red Riding Hood story. However like the Koko the clown the characters rebell, and insist on a more conterporary telling.
    At the time, most cartoons were made for and adult audience. Here however Avery pushes the limits of what was considered aceptable, and in places the cartoon was toned down in order to satisfy the US censors. Upon seeing the film on a visit to the studio on connection with a propaganda movie the army requested (and received) special uncut 16mm prints for overseas soldiers.

Red Hot Riding Hood is considered a near perfect example of the Avery style, which has had great infuence on future animation. The Mask - a film which combines live action with 3D animation to recreate many of Avery's classic gags, includes clips from this cartoon.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/9199/Animation/MGM_RedHot_Wolf.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/9199/Animation/MGM_RedHot.jpg

17. indy mike

I don't think Tex coulda done Red at Warner's; the MGM cartoon budgets allowed for more smooth flowing/costly animation, and Preston Blair did a super job. The Joe Adamson book about Avery is a good read, and provides info about how popular Red was during the war...

18. indy mike

Avatar??? Nope, that's my Avery-Tar! :D

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Is it just me, or does she look a lot like a young Lucy?

20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, Buffy and Anna she ain't, Indy, but....very nice, all the same....;)

And suits you, somehow....:cool:

ED:cool:

21. indy mike

Nah, Lucy was a blond in her early daze....

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sizzling! I like it! I Like it!...:thumbsup: It's all you:)

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

24. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

My apologies - a typo!

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Avery-Tart! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.