What 1980's album(s) do you most want given the deluxe edition treatment (demos, etc) (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Continued from here...

what *80's* album(s) do you most want given the deluxe edition treatment (demos, etc)

What 1980's albums do you want to see given the Deluxe Edition treatment?

Two that come to mind are:

Michael Jackson- Thriller (as I outlined in this thread). It's been released as a Special Edition and 25th Anniversary Edition but they're both kind of weak and there's plenty more in the vaults that could be released and collected together to form a box set.

Culture Club- Colour By Numbers- Probably my favorite pop album of the 1980's. We got a remastered version of this with bonus tracks including the terrific B-Side song "Colour By Numbers" which really should have made it on to the album itself, but I want to hear more from the sessions.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I'll be honest. Not one.

Well, I think the Prince stuff that will be coming out will be interesting in that regard...but as a collection, not necessarily expanded album version of material

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Emotional Rescue thru Steel Wheels.

Christopher B, stef1205, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I don't remember if I said this in part one, but definitely Frankie Goes To Hollywood-Welcome To The Pleasuredome. You could have two cd's with just the remixes.

6. "Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm:"

[​IMG]

At the very least, this album deserves an expanded reissue that includes the full-length original LP mixes as opposed to those of the later abridged CD, plus the extended Blooded version of its title track (which isn't actually based on the LP's title track, but I digress) along with both unique b-sides, Junkyard and Annihilated Rhythm. My guess is that licensing issues with ZTT are the reason every single copy of this released over the years has lacked additional content, or maybe it's that Trevor Horn later distanced himself from this material somewhat? I've read that he's since reconsidered his production work as too indulgent, not to mention he didn't think some of the musicians were up to his usual standard, which is supposedly why so much of the instrumental backing was constructed from brief sampled pieces.

On a related note, another of Trevor's groundbreaking early '80s projects I'd love to hear more from is Duck Rock by Malcolm McLaren. Again, there are so many b-sides, alternate mixes and even additional EPs in this particular instance that could be used to pad out such a reissue, yet I still don't believe we've seen anything close to a definitive package...

Lonevej, vince, johnaltman and 5 others like this.
  7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

When can I preorder??? Both of these albums are big 80's faves of mine.

8. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

Just found out one of the ones I want is actually on it's way. Can't wait til September!

Wet Wet Wet reveal full track listing for Popped In Souled Out super deluxe

Hope we don't have to wait 4 years for High On The Happy Side 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition!

Now all I need are The Beautiful South Deluxe Editions, then i'll be happy!

Come on Heaton, get off your butt and make me happy!

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Robert Fripp's 'The League Of Gentlemen.'

[​IMG]

10. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This one has been given the super deluxe treatment. But for some reason it has been sitting in a vault for a couple of years, presumably while TFF finishes a new album. I'd much rather hear this.

[​IMG]

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My 'Nightclubbing' and 'Warm Leatherette' BluRays are awfully sad sitting on the shelf by themselves. This and 'Living My Life' coming out as jam-packed BluRays (preferably sometime this year) would go a long way to helping them feel less lonely. Just sayin'.

wolfram, johnnyyen and Maurice like this.
  12. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

[​IMG]
    I would settle for a straight release of this on CD! Deluxe treatment would be fantastic!

13. [​IMG]

The stopped short of this one on the round of remasters from 2009-2010

14. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Cult - sonic temple

15. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

A nice Thomas Dolby collection, in vinyl and in CD. Aliens, Wireless, and Flat Earth.

Also, a Talking Heads double, with and Speaking in Tongues and Remain in Light.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  16. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Japan - Quiet Life, Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum plus the Rain Tree Crow album. For the latter there is a whole alternate master of the album that could be used, done I believe prior to Sylvian finalising his vocals - I've seen the tape. Richard Barbieri is on record saying he would love to work on new mixes of the Japan material. I suppose Universal think there isn't a market for Japan, despite social media around the band being huge (with a lot of young fans into the images of the band).

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

2009 saw a nice two disc of Wireless and a single of Flat Earth. I think if Dolby had more he would of added it to those. Aliens and Astronauts would be welcomed :)

Levitated and gregorya like this.
  18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I'd love those too!

After The Housemartins London 0 Hull 4 was released as a deluxe edition, I was so hoping they would also do The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death, but alas, no luck.
    Too bad, as London collected up all of the non-LP singles for that album and I was looking for Grinned to do the same. :(

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Spazaru and landerstnkb like this.
  19. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Berlin - Love Life.

[​IMG]

20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It won't happen, but perhaps my favorite 80s album, and certainly one of the most underrated (In spite of being acclaimed in its time): Billy Joel's The Nylon Curtain (Sorry, I can't seem to paste an image here like everyone else?)

I would LOVE to have deluxe set that includes demos and outtakes and (finally) reissues Billy Joel Live From Long Island, for the first time on DVD. Hell, if the complete show still exists give us the full show from that concert in audio too.

More likely, if any Billy Joel album from the 80s ever gets a deluxe treatment it'll be An Innocent Man. I wouldn't mind that either (Especially if the Wembley 1984 BBC telecast was included on DVD), but The Nylon Curtain would be my first choice!

21. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive
    Prince - Sign of the Times (I wonder if/when they will do deluxe reissues)

vpvi26 likes this.
  22. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

R.E.M.'s IRS albums would be nice.

steveharris, Sean, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  23. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

This, this, and this again. Actually, I'd like to see any of Devo's (1980's only) Freedom of Choice, New Traditionalists or Oh, No! It's Devo get the deluxe treatment. The 2009/2010 remasters are not what I would call deluxe in any way, shape or form.

The B-52's: Wild Planet
    Any number of 80's albums from Midnight Oil.
    Split Enz: True Colours

Unfortunately now, the record companies think adding a few bonus tracks after the album makes for a deluxe edition a la the recently announced Candy-O and Panorama editions. I think their interpretation of what deluxe means is very different to mine.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

IMHO 2 or 3 bonus tracks is disappointing but if it's a 45 minute album with the remaining 30 minutes being filled with bonus tracks that isn't so bad.

Of course it's not as nice as a 2 CD edition with a bonus DVD or anything, but still not too bad. :)

25. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I would love to see the Iron Maiden catalog come out with the
    b-sides tacked on to Disc 1 and a live show from each album's corresponding tour on Disc 2. I know that Castle did release the Maiden catalog with additional tracks on each album in 1995 but those went of print very quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.