What album/s did you discover too late?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

The ones i discovered when the vinyl was out of reach
    in example : Eveything Everything - Man Alive at roughly over $200

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, that doesn't apply to me, which is why I asked.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sketches of Spain

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

If you like Bleach, I think you'll love Nevermind. It's a great album.

5. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I dunno about "too late" but if I had discovered Roxy Music at 15 rather than 25, I think my life would have been very different. (I'm serious about that.)
    Also...
    Don't sweat the shows... they were 'off' as frequently as they were 'on'. For my money, Wilco reached their peak with the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot demos/outtakes. (They're out there.) If you like Summerteeth, yer gonna love that stuff!

lightbulb likes this.
  6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Yes, you haven't aged a day since you were born; it's really very remarkable! ;)

7. danner

danner Forum Resident

Lots of great albums from the 90s. I was so busy playing catchup on classic rock stuff that I missed out on a lot of great bands while they were active.

8. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

It was only a few years ago that Bob Dylan finally clicked for me, he had been whispering through my keyhole and tapping on my window on and off for years before he finally managed to wake me up. I played nothing else for the next year, as well as listening to every 'Theme Time Radio' show twice, I found peace when I saw him perform in Blackpool.

9. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

When you start buying you don't have a clue. 1972 for me. Then you buy a load of crap for the next 10 years or so because the music press tell you to buy it. Then all of a sudden you start to think for yourself and say yes I quite like that and then it's SORTED. You then end up with a 4 thousand plus vinyl collection and a lot more cd's and you still don't have a clue. I'm buying a load of stuff pre 1970 now and even going back to the 40's and beyond. It's all out there folks and it's class. You listen to stuff when you were 20 and you thought it was crap. You listen to it now and you think it's cracking. Do you get me?

10. Grant

Funny, man. :rolleyes: Contrary to popular wisdom, people do not always change their musical tastes as they age, and it has nothing to do with maturity, changes in the brain, or thinking. In other words, it is not natural. WE control what we want to hear. If YOU don't want to hear the music of your childhood or teens, that is your CHOICE.

If you, for example, liked the band Ratt as a teenager, but don't care for them today, that is not because of age or some other biological change. That is because you simply decided somewhere down the line that you just really don't want to hear or enjoy their music. You could just as easily, today, put on one of their albums and dig it.

My point is that people should stop trying to blame everything on age, as if they have no control over their own mind.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. ShockControl

I am not talking about age: I am talking about experience. If people want to control what they want to hear, they can choose to do so. But controlling the music you are exposed to does not guarantee the kind of intellectual, emotional, or visceral reaction it will elicit.

Some trains take you directly to the destination, non-stop; others take you part of the way, and you transfer, whether you want to or not.

12. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Well, I didn't find out too late about the release of Jules Shear's most recent album "Longer To Get To Yesterday". But I definitely tried buying the CD too late. Stock had already run out only a single year after its release.

13. Grant

Even life experiences don't always cause one to no longer like what they did in a more innocent time of their life. I can watch episodes of "Dennis The Menace" today and still enjoy them just as much as I did when I was a kid. Are there things that I now understand about TV production, and the lives of some of the actors that I didn't know before? Sure. But, I can still watch them and kind of transport myself back in time. I can still enjoy the situations and sight gags on a different level. Same analogy goes for music.

ShockControl likes this.
  14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Wish I had heard Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Blood Sabbath" and "Master's of Reality" a dozen years before I first did. They would have been games changers for me in Jr High. Still they now rank amongst my favorite hard rock albums.

15. ShockControl

All the better for you. I have no interest in or desire to maintain a slavish devotion to something I enjoyed 5, 10, 20, or 40 years ago. If it speaks to me, fine; if it doesn't, fine. I'm more interested in what motivates me now.

16. XTC - Skylarking

Koabac likes this.
  17. VINYLFREAK1978

VINYLFREAK1978 Well-Known Member

18. zen

zen Senior Member

A few months ago I avoided a head-on crash (w/ someone who was "distracted") and the next day I discovered Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies. Better late than never.

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It was pretty hard to miss Nevermind, when it was new. This fell into the overexposed category. MTV was all over the "alienated high school kids in flannel shirts" image, which made it impossible for me to approach Nirvana back then. 6 years ago, my niece got married near Seattle. The trip out influenced me to sample the food, the wine and the music of Washington state. This led to acquiring Nevermind and In Utero on MFSL gold, the Bleached remaster with ample bonus material and then their DVD's & Blu Ray. This covered all the bases. Maybe it was different for other people, but there wasn't going to be a deeper appreciation from this end during the early 90's.

20. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Pink Floyd

I'm 47 and just became a fan in the last year or so. It's funny because my reasoning is the same as another posted in this thread. In my case I did not get along with the "burn outs", I was a "jock" in high school. So I assumed KISS, Floyd and the rest of those bands were crap. Still not a KISS fan, but I'm paying dearly for being wrong on Floyd now as I try to fill my collection but am paying 5 to 10 times and even more what these items cost 30 years ago!

21. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

For some reason I've just never gotten around to it, I think part of it is every time I'm in a record store and see it I focus on looking for harder to get items, "Oh Nevermind, I can buy that anytime so I'll get X,Y & Z instead".

I promise to buy the next affordable vinyl copy I see.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Zeppelin albums.
    I got into LZ II in 1970 then went off into Rory Gallagher, Groundhogs and Sabbath, all of whom I saw live. Hell, I could have seen Led Zep a few times locally but I wasn't into them at the time! What a fool. I did see them at Knebworth but I still wasn't a big fan. It was only in the 80s, when I went back to 60s/70s music (because 80s music was so bad) that I really got into Zeppelin.

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Nice collection you have there. :thumbsup: Glad you got to visit the Northwest--as a Seattle native, visiting the place is something I always look forward to.

As for Nevermind, I remember seeing the Teen Spirit video a lot on MTV back in '91 when the album came out and it was a bit too "in your face" for me at the time. In addition, our small-town classic rock stations didn't play anything new, so I never heard Nevermind in full at the time. Thus, I didn't feel a strong pull to go out and buy the album. I follow what you're saying about image overexposure though--I visited NYC in '93 and number of upscale clothing places were selling flannel hoodies on the street in Greenwich Village.

The first time I really dug Nirvana was after seeing the MTV Unplugged concert and realized then there must be lot more to the group than I'd heard at the time. Nonetheless, I never got around to buying Nevermind until a couple of years ago and it floored me because it was so good.

I'm a vinyl freak, so I've now got Nevermind and In Utero on LP, as well as the MTV Unplugged and Live and Loud DVDs. Love all of it. Personally, Nirvana and their music have been a grower.

Say It Right likes this.
  24. misko

misko Forum Resident

I lived in Bellville , Illinois for a time in the late 1980's-91 . I moved back home to Philadelphia. Several years later heard "Uncle Tupelo " being played and discussed on NPR and learned that I could have seen them live plenty of times in Bellville. Bummer. Now , that's too late!

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I kind of wish I'd been more into heavy rock and progressive when I was a teenager and in my twenties . I mean I was aware of Sabbath and Zeppelin --radio was playing Zep to death at he time--but like someone above explained, I didn't care for the crowd that was running around spray-painting "Sabbath Rules!" all over the place.
    In the past few years, I've been digging albums that I practically didn't know existed from Wishbone Ash's Argus to King Crimson's Red. And just this morning I "discovered" the debut album of Blue Oyster Cult.
    Now, did I discover these bands and albums "too late?"
    I don't know. I prefer "Better late than never."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.