What album would you like to see Steven Wilson remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richy2times, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

2. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

I have toto IV in Sacd 5.1 and don't even have a Sacd player I bought it thinking some day I'd find a old PS3 then I'd be able to rip it to flac format and just a couple months ago I found one on e-bay. Tell you it's one hell of a album the 5.1 mix was done perfect and it's one of my all time favourite.

3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I'm listening to some Van Der Graaf Generator tonight and even though I've said it before, Steven really should tackle "H To He Who am the Only One" and "Pawn Hearts".
    I'd buy those two in a flash.

4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

ABBEY ROAD

5. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

Am I the only one wondering why posters are asking for 5.1 remix after 5.1 remix? "Oh, Yes Fragile would be great if only the wind sound on 'South Side of the Sky' was a fresh gale instead of a strong breeze!" Or "I'd gladly buy Genesis The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway again if the fly on the windshield moved completely around the room. What a wasted effort!"

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Because people enjoy tastefully done, non-gimmicky, fresh from the multitracks for unprecedented sound quality surround mixes. Which is what Steven Wilson has been doing for past few years.

7. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I've Siouxsie and the Banshees "A Kiss In A Dreamhouse" on just now and the mix is just, well, chaotic. I'd love to see Steven Wilson remix of this, I might have a better chance of getting into it...

8. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

It seem ever 5.1 mix that Steve Wilson has done or any other name it's just been a retake. like when a 5.1 disc comes out you can be sure it will be done in Dvd audio, DTS then in SACD what we really need is some new material. Iv been hunting for 3 years now buying sometime 4 discs a month and now it's slowed right down to nothing ...it's sad

9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Nothing at all, mostly. It's more about hearing it with fresh ears.

10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

If it makes you feel better the new Steve Wilson album will be released in 5.1. Overall though, I think major labels realize that 5.1 will always remain a niche item and as such are unwilling to go through the expense of gambling on a hi-res 5.1 mix of a new release that has no sales history. I think and hope we're likely to continue to see the release of tried and true albums that have stood the test of time, albums that still show strong catalog sales, either because of past commercial and/or critical success. And obviously artists who have near rabid cult followings. While I'm not holding my breath, I will cross my fingers that new stuff begins to show up, but I'm afraid my fingers are more likely to cramp up before the next Taylor Swift or any other current chart album is released in 5.1

11. komopi

komopi Forum Resident

Kiss Hotter than hell

12. Pat the Cat

Of course, that's what Steven does. I do agree that 5.1 is a great format & more releases would be great. I'd say it's down to poor publicity for the format-- hardly anybody knows it exists! The new Steve Hackett disc will be multichannel and I'm a Steve H fan so Wolflight is on my Must Have list.

13. Pat the Cat

I have to disagree with a double plus ultra. Nick Davis did a brilliant remix of Tresspass and Trick of the Tail was pretty great as well. Is there a need to have "boutique" remixes of every record ever made. (Hey, let's let Alan Parsons and Elliot Scheiner have a go!) Or maybe I could be wrong?

14. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I personally would love to see the following:

Simon Says - Ceinwen
    Simon Says - Paradise Square
    Simon Says - Tardigrade
    Simon Says - Siren Songs

Tardigrade in particular begs not only for an 5.1 mix but some kind of stereo remix or at least reduce the compression away from "set phasers to kill" mode. I did my own declipped version which sounds much better but I can't help but imagine what a true proper version without the compression would sound like.

15. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Active Member

Well, if Alan Parsons won't remix I Robot, let's give SW a crack at it. I'd love to hear that album in quad or 5.1.

dougb222 and Sordel like this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I agree completely but there is no way on earth that this wasn't considered before the APP boxed set was put together and for some reason it didn't happen. Given that Wilson and Parsons are in personal contact there must be some specific reason why.

DocCasualty likes this.
  17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Maybe they are good mixes but they sound like total crap. Missed opportunity. Wow, brilliant and great do not belong anywhere near these crappy releases.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It will never happen but...

Led Zeppelin IV. That one needs the same treatment that was given to Aqualung.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Another that will never happen.....

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos

If an album ever needed a remix from the multis and a good mastering this one is it.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I guess you don't like the 1990 stereo remix or the 2004 and 2011 surround remixes?

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood

5.1 please!

DocCasualty and dougb222 like this.
  22. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece

23. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Active Member

I'm sure you're correct. Parsons did such a killer job with the quad mix for DSotM for instance, you just know he could have done that with any of his works. Just listening to the title track of I Robot in Dolby PLII is pretty cool; just imagine what a true remix would sound like. Too bad . . .

Sordel likes this.
  24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

He has been doing all Tull's stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if that gets the 5.1 treatment.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Please let it be more Gentle Giant albums...

FVDnz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.