What are David Bowie's 3 signature songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MadamAdam, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I think I'd have a much harder time picking my three favorites. Way too many to choose from

Group of One and MadamAdam like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I can listen to Space Oddity from the David Bowie lp, in the Five Years box set, all day long. Oh my goodness that song sounds so wonderful.

The first song going through all 13 lps in the box, and it's the best sounding, and best, of the lot.

Inspired.

MadamAdam likes this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Space Oddity, Changes, Rebel Rebel, Heroes
    It allowed me to choose four so I did.

MadamAdam likes this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Space Oddity - his first big hit, identified him as the (with respect) "space cadet" which defined his eccentric career.
    Ziggy Stardust - the song which defined his theatrical and alter-ego personas.
    "Heroes" - Non-pop Bowie, experiments which produced powerful music unique to him.

Close - Ashes to Ashes - the Space Oddity reprise, and a big hit.

MadamAdam likes this.
  5. Now that hes gone I suspect signature tunes will become set in amber along with a bunch of other Bowie tropes but I consider Where Are We Now emblematic of Bowies last phase. Its a gorgeous song.

6. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

"Space Oddity" is interesting to assess because it is (a) so uniquely Bowie and (b) because it is... so uniquely Bowie. Usually a signature song would be one that becomes a standard, a song that numerous artists tackle (like "Yesterday" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water"). But "Space Oddity" belongs to Bowie, and you can't take it from him, or him from it; it's too eccentric to become a song that takes on a life of its own, or inhabits different lives with different artists. It's not destined to have a life beyond Bowie, in the way that "Life On Mars?" or "Changes", for example, are likely to. But that uniqueness makes it very much a signature song, in a 'who else could possibly have written and performed this?' way. So I suppose, on reflection, it really is his one absolutely signature song.

7. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

In the past, I don't remember "Life on Mars?" being a signature Bowie song. Everyone seemed to latch onto this song after his passing, but it was pretty much always a deep track. He would play it often in concert, but the same could be said of "Cactus." Hardly ever heard it on the radio and tellingly, it was not featured on Changesonebowie or Changestwobowie. Nor was it on "David Live" or "Stage." I've been a fan since the 70's.

I like the song just fine, my observation is not an attack on it in that regard.

Tanx, MadamAdam and Thom like this.
  8. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Tough one. I went with Space Oddity, Heroes, and Rebel Rebel.

MadamAdam likes this.
  9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Space Oddity, Life on Mars, "Heroes".

But I think I might as well have chosen Changes, Ashes to Ashes, Let's Dance.. for example.

MadamAdam likes this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Space
    Changes
    Heroes

MadamAdam likes this.
  11. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

"Life on Mars" is much more associated with Bowie in the UK than it is in the States. I was thinking globally when I made it one of my picks.

snowman872, MadamAdam and karmaman like this.
  12. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. Life On Mars could never be considered a mere deep track in Europe or Japan.

When EMI UK issued Ryko's ChangesBowie in 1990 they insisted Mars?, Starman and Sound And Vision (all top ten hits in Britain) be added to the non-CD formats (no room on the CD editions) because they're revered outside of the US in a way that perhaps Moonage Daydream and Suffragette City are within the States but not so the rest of the world. Intriguing, but then America is not the world.

13. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Love Lies Breeding
    It Don't Come Easy
    Band On the Rug
    Cold Turkey Leftovers

Ooooooooops. Wrong 'Signature Songs' thread.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I find it tougher to pick three rather than the one that best qualifies, IMO: "Space Oddity."

After that, there's:
    "Changes" (what he was all about)
    "Ziggy Stardust" (most famous persona)
    "Fame"
    "Heroes"
    "Let's Dance"

Another one that could be added to the poll list: "The Man Who Sold the World."

MadamAdam likes this.
  15. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Space
    Mars
    Heroes

MadamAdam likes this.
  16. duggan

duggan Senior Member

1. Drive In Saturday (Anneka Rice seems to agree)
    2. Life On Mars
    3. Rebel Rebel
    All The Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople is probably my favourite Bowie written recording.

MadamAdam likes this.
  17. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bowie doing Pixies' Cactus live? Well that only happened around the time Heathen (the album from which it features) was out.

Mars has always been a signature song in Europe. Maybe not America but then America is not the world.

Hardly. Lulu's cover aside, Bowie disowned the song (and most of TMSWTW album) until the Nirvana factor kicked in. DB then including it in his live shows for the first time in almost 25 years means it can't really be considered a signature song. Am I right @stepeanut ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    bob60 likes this.
  18. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

Same for me as well.

MadamAdam likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think that's exactly it though, the song is a classic but the persona is probably more well known than the song.

MadamAdam likes this.
  20. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Space Oddity, Life on Mars and "Heroes".

So many great and well-known songs to choose from, but I think those three are his most recognised.

MadamAdam likes this.
  21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My favorite Bowie Song is 'Absolute Beginners', but I cannot list it as a Signature Song, as really does not fit(although who knows what 3 Songs Bowie himself would have selected).

With option to select 4 Songs, my picks would be:

Space Oddity
    Heroes
    Fame
    Ashes to Ashes

Although, cannot dispute other selections(Changes, Let's Dance, Life on Mars) made by some Posters.

Why is 'Golden Years' not on this list, as I would think that song could also be one of his Signature Songs?

MadamAdam likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Still ripping people off, dear.:D

MadamAdam likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's very hard as the majority of them are utter classics.

Based on their impact in the UK, I went for

Life On Mars
    Starman
    Ashes To Ashes
    Let's Dance

Hate having to leave Space Oddity and about 15 others out...

MadamAdam likes this.
  24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

David Bowie is best known to me for these three songs:

Let's Dance

Modern Love

Rebel Rebel

MadamAdam likes this.
  25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

God, even Barbra Streisand (!) covered "Life On Mars?"... in 1974. I would say it's been viewed as one of his signature songs from the day the first person listened to it on Hunky Dory and thought, hmmm this song's a bit special (or, slightly thereafter). :)

MadamAdam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.