What are some competitors to the Oppo 105D?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

Within the next three to four months, I'll be ready to upgrade my source (in my profile) to a really great universal player. I only have CDs and SACDs, and I'm looking for the best two-channel fidelity in the $1300 (plus or minus a couple hundred bucks) range. I want to purchase new, not used. I see a lot of praise for the Oppo, but I wonder what else is available in the same price category. Bells and whistles are nice-to-haves, but I'd forgo them if I can get better two-channel CD and SACD performance from a different brand and model. What say you?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would look for a SACD/CD player and forget the Oppo if you aren't using it for video.

Tim 2 and Humbuster like this.
  3. MonkeyMan

Please recommend a few...

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I haven't heard anything in your price range. I'm using an Esoteric K-05.

apesfan likes this.
  5. MonkeyMan

6. MonkeyMan

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would avoid universal players because transport failure is much more likely. Get a SACD/CD player only, because it is easier for the transport.

formu_la likes this.
  9. MonkeyMan

10. MonkeyMan

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've owned three universal players. The Oppo 105, NAD 785 and M55.
    None have had transport failures, ever.
    In terms of sound quality for a universal player, the M55 is great. And built like a tank - heavier than the Oppo.
    But the Oppo trumps it. Even with all of it's "multi-functionality." Don't be put off by that. It IS a bonus, but the sound is the big winner.

12. mongo

mongo Senior Member

You're really not going to find anything in your price range that can compete with the Oppo on any level.
    Beyond playing SACDs and CDs, and any other disc type, it is a media center as well.
    Who knows if you'll want to play blu-ray discs as well or go to HD based music files?

Linger63, Coricama, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  13. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

My Oppo 105 replaced my old McIntosh DVP871. It was an upgrade in every way except cost. My philosophy on universal players these days is to buy the most popular and best reviewed piece in your price range, and when it wears out, do the same thing again.

Always read the consumer reviews on the mass market sites (Amazon, etc), look for a material number of bad reviews related to transport problems or reliability. If you see that, go another direction.

Sharp 1080 and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  14. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I'll comment here, I did a lot of research a few years ago and had the same dilemma as you. I looked at several high end sacd players. A McIntosh dealer turned me on to the Oppo and I checked them out. I was prepared to spend towards 5K+ for a Mac or better. I ended up with the 105 and can positivity tell you it has been the best investment I have ever made. Are there better players, yes you bet, but expect to spend towards 8 to 10K.
    I was going to sped the money to upgrade to the Modwright on the 105, but have since decided to wait until the next Oppo comes out then possibly upgrade that unit.

Then again not only do I have a lot of Sacd's, but a growing collection of Blu-ray audio, so I need the Blu-ray player.

15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

RogerB, Shak Cohen and fluffskul like this.
  16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

If you are staying in the $1K to $2K price range get the Oppo, if you could score a new Sony SCD-5400 I'd tell you to grab it but they are very sparse. The Marantz's are too soft IMO. There really are not many choices in that price range.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why would a universal player have a higher transport failure over a CD/SACD player? I've had three Oppo universal players (83SE, 103 and 105D) and not one transport issue.

I would also highly recommend the 105D even if you are just using it for CD/SACDs. One never knows as the Blu-ray portion of the 105D might come in handy for the many Blu-ray audio titles that are available. I bought a refurbished 105D direct from Oppo for $1040. The unit I received was as new without a single blemish and a full two year warranty. If that interests you then give Oppo a call to see if any refurbished units are available.

Bill

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    rbbert, Linger63 and SteelyTom like this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My first inclination are the Oppo and/or Marantz.
    Though the Yamaha intrigues me too, does it convert DSD to PCM?
    Pretty the sure the other two don't, which is preferable IMHO.

I'm trying the 105D now and it's getting better with time but don't like the sound of pianos and cymbals/brushes.
    They sound a bit hard and unrealistic. My Arcam & Denon are both more rounded and smooth in a good way.
    On the positive side a bit more open sounding than I'm used to.
    Have another week before deciding whether it stays or goes.

Try the Oppo, with their return policy you have nothing to lose

Bill Mac and MonkeyMan like this.
  19. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I put 100 + hours on my Oppo before it came to life!

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I've been playing on repeat 24/7 for the last week, it does seem to have inproved.
    It also helped when I realized I needed to turn off the surround, sub and CC channels in my 2 channel room LOL

21. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Love my BD105. Use it mostly as a DAC with Foobar. Then again it sounds great with my SACDs, some Blue Ray audio....it's a really great player. I'm mostly using it as a 2 channel player, using the analog XLR outs into a Decware Zbit, then to a Decware SET amp. Audio bliss.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Depends on the type of sound you like. If you like musical, the Marantz or the Yamaha are for you.

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Cambridge 752BD.

24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

My Oppo improved with a couple of weeks use.
    But the biggest improvement I heard was after inserting the PS Audio Venom power cable.
    Your experience may vary. I have awful electricity here.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you compared the Marantz, Yamaha and Oppo 105 players in your system? If so which specific Marantz and Yamaha players were they. I'm just curious as to how you base your opinion.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.