What are the best sounding high efficiency speakers out there?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Steve, it's because I am basically sick of worrying that my amps are not powerful enough to drive my speakers. Even at 40 wpc they don't have quite the punch and fullness as with my 75 wpc amp. I'm trying to prepare for my tube amp to be out of the shop. I don't want to be disappointed with it's lack of whomp. I also miss the rich sound of vintage speakers sometimes.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I understand, but some of these horn speakers only sound good if you are standing like 100 feet away! Some only have bass down to 70 cycles. Some don't image at all. Some, blah blah. You get the idea.

Now, I love my Tannoy horns, but they are balanced and full sounding; good for long listening. They are also a hell of a lot of money!

You must listen first before you buy. If you get something huge for a little room and drag them home but start hating them after two weeks you will not be a happy camper.

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I dunno....mine work. :D

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

How big is your place, Prix?

One cannot live by bread alone but by multiple stereo systems, different speakers, amplifiers... ;)

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

When I jumped into the High End club... I had my first listening experience with modified Klipsch speakers design. Awesome dynamic but the soundstage was bad...

One of the best horn systems I've ever heard... very dynamic and exceptional soundstage for this kind of speakers... were the Avantgarde speakers. German design!!!

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Most of the earlier large horn loaded speakers designs were initially meant for large spaces. Except for modified designs like diffraction lenses these "Long Throw" systems were used in concert and theatre settings. The newer stuff like Avantgarde and Accapella and the like are specifically designed for domestic use therefore will "image" better at these closer distances as was the case with my earlier pro JBL system that had a "Huge" very dense wooden diffraction lens that the mid compression driver was loaded into. The Klipschorn is sort of a mini long throw based design for high and mid with a unique folded corner loading bass horn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.