What are you gonna do when the Beatles Remasters suck?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drexler_McStyles, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Just a note that—although we can't know for sure—the press release said that judicious limiting, not compression, was used. Slightly different animals.

2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

What are you gonna do when the Beatles Remasters suck?

NOTHING . . . :shake:

Absolutely ... Nothing ! !

3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Without giving any links.....

5.1 mixes of the Beatles music have been done privately.

But that may already be common knowledge. I have not purchased any. I'll just wait for 9/9/09 to pick up my copy of Abbey Road. If it sucks, I will galdly donate it to the Local Public Library.

I hope to keep it.

4. Ursun

Ursun New Member

most of us have some LP or CD reality at home. I have Pure Audiophile half-speed mastered LPs (Stan Ricker Mastering), Rudi Van Gelder CD remasters of jazz, 30th Anniversary Edition 24 bit King Crimson remasters by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp (each album remastered within one, two max. 4 days) etc.
    another piece of reality is SHM-CDs
    I listen to that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath SHM-CD again and again. The sound is rather unusual, but it's smth real.

a crew of engineers working for 4 years - are they going to produce some piece of reality? why year 2009? Why not 10 years ago?
    What kind of improvements in CD mastering justifies this 2009 Beatles reissue?

5. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I don't agree. First off, this is the first time these have been remastered (for release anyway), secondly, although I'm sure I'm in the minority, I like a lot remasters, and not because of "loudness".
    I expect them to sound pretty good, honest.

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Like many here, I rather enjoy the hype and hoopla. I don't think it's "blind optimism" if you've read the press release (assuming you believe it) - there's actually reason to be optimistic.

Like I said in an earlier post I think there have been plenty of good remastered CD's from Capitol/EMI (Lennon's, Harrisons, Yellow Sub Songtrack, Capitol Albums, and Love, just to name a few).

Your 'reality' isn't any more real than the optimistic reality. No one knows how these disks will sound including you. I don't believe one has to be a 'fanboy' to be optimistic about this release or does one have to be a 'hater' to have doubts about it. Personally, I have guarded optimism.

One wonders if you are a Beatles fan why you would start a thread that sounds so snarky, negative, and inflamatory. It seems that it wasn't really to provoke any true discussion but to ruffle feathers (which it did) and I think it's disingenuous to imply you are just giving a balanced perspective. Surely you knew what kind of responses this thread would illicit.

If you feel there are too many positive threads regarding this upcoming Beatles release maybe you should take your own advice that you listed at the end of your quote above.

7. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

The reality is that MOST remasters of the last 10 years are not up to the standard most of us here at the SH forums would like them to be mastering wise ..... thus any expectations that those Beatles remasters will be the exception of the rule is wanted and wished for, but not at all realistic :D
    Press releases are not always to be trusted :)

8. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I burned out on the albums decades ago, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting to anticipate a newly remastered catalogue.
    It could be the thing that gets me into listening to them again.
    I certainly understand the fanaticism over the band, I used to share that enthusiasm.
    Yes there are many great bands, but there was only one Beatles. Head and shoulders above the crowd.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Often Imitated..NEVER Duplicated!:righton:

10. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

There is Beatles fans and there is Beatles fanboys, Beatles fans are allowed to be critical towards the band, individual members or upcoming releases and can still like The Beatles :)

11. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I will burp and scratch myself most inappropriately. That'll show 'em.

Jeff

12. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

:laugh:

13. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

And I bet that WILL sound better than these Remasters... :agree: :righton: :wave:

14. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

But you guys are being critical over something you have not heard. That's nuts. It's like Leonard Maltin saying "Godfather ii" was a lame movie without actually having seen it!

15. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

To the the original poster: More appropriate would be to state what are you going to do "if" the Beatles Remasters Suck. The use of the word "when" instead of the using the word "if" would not be consider as inflammatory.

And shame on the forum moderators. In the history of this forum, I have never experienced the total disrespect for proper forum etiquite that has been permitted here over the last several months.

There are a tons of music related things that have yet to be discussed and we don't have to agree with other folks opinions on everything either. But come on now. I'm no authority or moderator, or a guy trying to push an agenda But I've been around here long enough to see a negative trend.

It's almost as if some folks are logging on here just to stir up trouble and bait people.

And it sucks.

16. levi

I'll post a waveform afterward so we can verify. :cool:

Jeff

17. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Maybe even "Rip"one CD out of it,too!:biglaugh:

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

No? Didn't Joe Jackson say about the sunday papers, "they wouldn't print it if it wasn't true?" Come on!

19. zen

zen Senior Member

:laugh: No need to read any further.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

21. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

"If you want to know about the new Remasters"

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:righton::wave::goodie:

Thanks for thinking of us Jeff!!!

23. levi

My pleasure.

I belch ... you decide. :cheers:

Jeff

24. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

Would it even be possible to thread crap this thread?

25. levi

I'm doing my best, man. :D

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.