What are you used to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I do like the full version for travelling. The 4 minute "ending" is great with the gradual easing in of strings and flute. You can cover a lot of miles with that song! I heard it for the first time while on a school bus trip. The bus driver had two 8-track tapes; Closer To Home and Cosmos Factory. We got to hear them many times. When I arrived back home, I bought the single version (couldn't afford the LP!)

Bob, can't wait for your new thread, I think it will be cool to collect all the various single versions and compare them.

Here's one single version that didn't work: 10cc I'm Not In Love...

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I like the single edit. The one I will give you is athe the edits are sloppy. In other words, they aren't smooth.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

Because of time contraints, I have made the decision to limit my thread to the period of the late 50's through the decade of the 60's. I was hoping that my friend in Arizona would take on the task of originating a separate thread for the 70's. My list will be long and exhausting as it is with lots of comments and listening notes regarding each track based on some descriptive criteria. Certainly, I would be happy to add and support your thread with my knowledge. I spent 4 hours on this project last night and I still have a lot of work left to complete just to get through the 60's! For instance, I have already come up with 4 pages of songs and notes and I still have two more nights of work ahead of me. I look forward to sharing the results.

Bob

4. Grant

I will add my two cents.

This looks like the beginnings of that book Chris Dejardin and I were going to do a long time ago and never really started.

5. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I will definitely be posting my thread late Saturday morning CDT. You can count on it!

Bob :)

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

If you are asking about Top 40 radio in the 60's as opposed to Oldies stations today that play Top 40 radio hits from the 60's, then yes, I'm a fan of old Top 40 radio.

As we all know, though, most of the time the current oldies radio stations are playing the album versions of the songs.

7. Grant

Naa! I'm talking about 60s AND 70s radio AS IT WAS!

Uh, no, the ones I hear around here play a good mix of both album and single versions.

8. Bob Lovely

My Project

Grant & Friends,

Worked another three hours on the project last night and I will finish it up tonight. I will be posting my thread--the "Definitive Single Versions--50's & 60's" on Saturday morning at the latest!

This has been a fun project!

Bob :)

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: My Project

50's and 60's? I'm afraid my contributions will be minimal. Most of my info would be for 70's.

10. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: My Project

Dave,

Actually beginning with about 1958 running through the end of 1969. Most of the selections are from the period 1964 through 1969. I decided to stop there, at least for phase I. I have encouraged Grant to post the 70's. If he does not, I will go ahead with a 70's thread at a later date. I think you will find many familar titles in my thread. Please contribute where you can!

Bob

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I finally went through my Stones CDs to check this out. The 45 version of "Miss You" is included on the Virgin compilation Jump Back. At least, I think it's the single mix--the length is right, and there's no sax solo. Maybe someone else can say defintively if it's the actual 45 mix.

Jump Back has not been issued in the US, it's only available as an import.

12. Grant

Jimbo, I found my copy of "Jump Back" at Sam Goody. It apparrently IS a popular import because there is no US counterpart.

Yes, the single version of "Miss You" is on the CD.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CCM was offering the "Jump Back" CD for a few years at an outrageous price! While browsing in "Sam Goody" I came across the "Jump Back" CD for $14.99. Great deal. Enjoyable CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.