What are your favorite speakers and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claus, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

I love thin-walled BBC type speakers - no MDF in my house!

gryphongryph and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. layman

layman Forum Resident

Volti Vittora:

advanced101 likes this.
  3. layman

layman Forum Resident

Live Sound Designs Custom Horn Speakers:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The ones I currently own.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My favorite speakers from all the speakers I owned and still own are the Quad 989 and the Stirling BBC L3/6 .
    I have never heard any other speakers being so close to the actual tonality of acoustic instruments than these two.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

No Spendors, Harbeths, or Stirling Broadcasts?

7. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I believe someone may have already said "my favorite speakers are the ones I'm listening to now"

So true. Most of my equipment has been a favorite at one point or another. This goes for amps, receivers, turntable etc.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just noticed,...LS3/6 I meant....

9. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Old-school Thiel speakers.

apesfan likes this.
  10. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

In ear monitors. No room effects, relatively cheap.

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Harbeth 7es3
    Vandersteen 2ce Sig II
    vintage: I really like KLH Model Six

12. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

My Magnepan 1.7i speakers. They are modified with Mye stands, Stillpoint Ultra 5's, and new crossovers. Just love um!
    Tim

cdgenarian and Archguy like this.
  13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I have always and still do thoroughly enjoy my Kirksaeter Monitor 130s. The why of it probably has to do with the nice teak cabinetry and incredible sound and efficiency for what they are.

[​IMG]
    Recently I got a pair of Tekton Double Impacts and I do have a new fave. It is probably hard for most to accept the left field look and design of these, but they really do deliver.
    The why would have to be their remarkable and neutral coverage of the frequency spectrum, midrange especially is entrancing. My pair and new amp and dac are not really broken in yet at all but things are already sounding sweet. The Kirksaeters had just gotten broken in from a re foaming and were blooming into a really nice sound when these arrived and I have yet for a month or so to play them again -I will, but I gotta lot of breaking in to do..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    freesole, Wasabi, Nephrodoc and 9 others like this.
  14. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I've enjoyed most of the different brands I've owned over the decades. That said, the ATC 11's are without a doubt my favorite. Pulling up a strong 2nd would be a tie between the Ascend Sierra 1 NrT and the Focal 728 Towers in my living room.

15. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

This is true.

I bought a pair of Rectilinear III's from a local eBay seller ($40). I hooked them up to a little Jolida (20+/- watts) that I was using at the time. I put on a Beatles CD and was staggered, floored, amazed, and astounded. Then they made some really weird noises and never worked worth a damn again.

In that instant, however, they were and are my favorites. Since that time, I would have to say (as others already have) what I have at the moment is my favorite. My moments are pretty long, though. I've only just begun a moment with my AN-E Lx's.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Those are just beyond being totally awesome...

Do these work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

I like big speaks and I cannot lie! You other brothers can't deny!

[​IMG]

18. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Wow. How many WPC do those big beauties put out? My next amp is likely gonna be a pair of quad KT88 mono blocks cuz i need more headroom.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Love my Harbeth 40.2. To my ears they do everything exceptionally well...natural sounding tweeter that’s not bright and tinny, deep and impactful bass, and amazingly layered midrange with realistic timbres to vocals and acoustic instruments. My end-game speakers.

[​IMG]

20. thomand

thomand Forum Resident

In the "almost affordable" range gradient 1.4 is my favourite. Stunning sound.

21. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Most responses seem pretty short on the 'why' part.

22. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I love my Pendragons. They have a nice soundstage, go deep, don’t over or under emphasize anything (to my ear), don’t wear me out, sound good at high or low volumes, and didn’t break the bank. For a small jazz group they offer the closest thing I’ve heard in a sound system to a live performance. They pair well with my other components (Rogue Sphinx, VN150 w Ortofon 2m bronze). I am sure there are other systems and speakers that are better but these work very well for me and are, therefore, my favorites.

SandAndGlass and Kristofa like this.
  23. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Like most people who have responded thus far, my favourite speakers are my current front speakers: the Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 90. The specs speak for themselves: 18 Scan-Speak drivers per speaker, including the same midrange as the Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic, each with its own amplification (totalling 8,200 watts per speaker) to eliminate passive crossovers, plus the most sophisticated DSP yet implemented to eliminate reflections.

Why do I love them? First, the sound. I'm currently listening to an album that blends ancient and rock instrumentation (Belgian band Trivelin's Musiques d'Hier Pour Temps Nouveaux) and the stringed instruments and the bagpipes are startlingly lifelike. Secondly, the active design means that I don't need racks of monobloc amplifiers, so my sitting room doesn't end up looking like a hifi shop.

24. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Happily married to my Apogee Stages for decades. They communicate music, colors, beauty, heartbreak...you get the idea
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Because I can't afford the flagship model, and even if I could, I'd need a bigger living room to fit them. Bar those, my F2s leave nothing to be wished.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.