What artists have you discovered since reading the SH forums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I was wondering, have any of the members comments here on their favorite music influenced your music buying? What artists have you discovered as a result?

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Grant,

I can't begin to tell you how many artists I've rediscovered through DCC. When Compact Discs first came out back in the early 80's my lifelong music passion took a down turn.

It took DCC and particularly the quality of Steve's work for me to rekindle that passion.

3. Grant

But, what about stuff other forum members have mentioned, besides DCC?

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I got into the ESSENTIAL series of Elvis Presley releases. Although I enjoy Elvis, I really didn't understand what these CDs were, and I would have really missed out had I not grabbed volumes four, five, and six when they were still available for less than premium prices.

I also bought Poco's FORGOTTEN TRAIL anthology based on forum recommendations; the Steve Hoffman-mastered Who CDs still available from Canada; the MFSL edition of LAYLA & OTHER ASSORTED LOVE SONGS. And I completed the VINTAGE MUSIC series pretty easily, and am working on the ROCK THE FIRST comps.

I consider the recommendations on the forum its most valuable aspect.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well, I managed to dodge Love's "Forever Changes" for 35 years, but picked it up based on favorable comments here. It became top dog on my equipment for a couple of months. I also purchased several Frank Sinatra Capitol vinyl lp's, as well as Louis Prima's "The Greatest" based on comments that interested me.....

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

A few

Thanks to assorted posts on the forum I am now the happy owner of works by:
    Masters of Reality
    Nashville Pu**Y
    The most recent Poco CD (I have been a fan forever but kind of figured they were done and thanks to a thread I not only got their fine new CD but got it autographed from their website to boot!)
    Art Pepper (had his stuff only as part of my DCC collection...never listened)

I'm sure there are others but that's a fairly diverse group.
    Thanks to all who helped
    Peace
    Norm

7. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I bought Vince Guaraldi because it was a DCC and many others for the same reason. That was before the forum but still part of the same thang, if you will. I picked up the Croce "Words and Music" just today for the very same reason.....the thoughtful and loving care of reproduction that one can always expect. As Neil Young once said...."it's all the same song!".

Bill

8. vex

vex New Member

I bought Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" after someone recommended it here. Excellent band and an excellent album! I have since bought their "Parachutes" disc that I really like as well.

9. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

I did not have any cee dees by these artists before the forum:

Surf Music
    Vince Guaraldi
    Sonny Rollins
    Peggy Lee
    Elvis
    Merle Haggard
    Golden Earring
    10 cc
    Eagles
    Badfinger
    Charlie Byrd
    Roy Orbison- solo
    Nat Cole

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I bought a few of the following because of the DCC version and have enjoyed them very much:

Pee Wee Russell
    Mel Torme
    Nat King Cole
    Sammy Davis Jr.
    CCR (already had the K2 versions but ended up selling them after hearing the DCC versions)
    Elvis Presley
    Roy Orbison

I doubt I would have made these purcahses without the forum.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have discovered some jazz since reading this forum. I have bought Steve Hoffman's version of Who's Next since reading this forum, etc.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Grant, great thread!

Geez, where do I start? :D My main artist discovery here, I am embarrassed to say, was Elvis Presley. Sure, I knew a lot of Elvis's famous songs, but I had only the 30 #1 Hits CD when I began visiting this site regularly. Since then, I have expanded my collection a bit and have begun listening to The King regularly.

Another discovery for me here was target CDs and how to identify other first pressings. Since these first pressings are relatively difficult to find in used CD shops, I have been picking up whatever I find. This has gotten me listening to new music. An example is Roxy Music (Polydor's West Germany pressing of Roxy Music The Atlantic Years 1973-1980).

Of course, I have also gotten some great DCC gold CD recommendations. An example was the Elvis 24 KARAT HITS! disc. I already owned some DCC CDs before I got here and knew that Mr. Hoffman was brilliant :)angel: ), but the comments here about 24 KARAT HITS!, especially relative to 30 #1 Hits, were very informative. I bought this DCC CD recently and am thrilled with the sound and song selection.

I would be remissed if I did not mention all the great information I have picked up here about the sound quality of this mix versus that mix. The knowledge base here is amazing. I learned about discs like the London Stones CDs, the original version of Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and other flat transfers.

In short, the folks on this site have taught me a lot, but have also cost me a lot of money. :)

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The Mel Torme London Sessons SACD would have slipped right by me if not for this forum.

This forum has also made me rediscover stuff I'd not paid enough attention to before. And it completely knocked the "remaster is automatically better" myth flat to the ground! I am much more choosy and careful about what I buy and have discovered a lot of great original CD versions that sound better than current versions...such as Led Zep, Genesis and Elton John.

In the last couple of weeks I found used Dennis Drake masterings of:

Every Picture Tells A Story
    Cream-Goodbye
    Gloria Gaynor- Greatest Hits

14. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Grant,

It has also opened me up to exploring other titles as well.

When a forum member praises the sound quality of a CD I check out Half.com and Amazon.com to find out more and usually buy it.

Well lets see a few of my most recent purchases are.

MCA- Bill Haley and his Comets
    Analogue Productions: Art Pepper Meet the Rythym Section
    MCA- Momas & Popas 16 greatest Hits

:)

15. Grant

That's cool. But, I'm not talking about sound quality, just music, artists...

16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Jazz, mainly. The buffs have been very helpful in my small but growing collection. Trane and Miles I was into before, but I've expanded a bit since then: more Monk, Rollins, Mingus, Sanders, etc. I'm sure I wouldn't have bought something like ELLA AND LOUIS on SACD--even factoring in I had the vinyl--without the wise recommendations of members. A shame we don't have more of those threads, could use 'em...

ED:cool:

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are some people that got into Glenn Miller's music due to my high praise of the 1985 CD pressing of "Unforgettable Glenn Miller."

18. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The Figgs!!!!!!

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hi, Sandy...nice photo!

In a forum like this, you get exposed to almost anything. Extremely wide swath of tastes here.....I understand there's a guy with a '70s thing going...name escapes me at the moment, I'm sure it'll come...:rolleyes:
    One thing is certain: you go out with more than when you came in, and that's unique among music forums. Generally, the average forum is very specific in its interests, not much of a range of tastes in, say, the Motown forum, kinda obvious what they talk about there....here, it's all over the place, and we're all better for it...

ED:cool:

20. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Absolutely fantastic music I wouldn't have known about or hadn't seriously considered if I did know about it. Entire genres of music that were essentially absent from my collection.

Cal Tjader, Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme, Zombies, Buddy Rich, Jackie Gleason, Revelers, and a ton of great country (not an oxymoron to me anymore) and jazz. Not all necessarily because of recommendations from the forum, but all because of Steve's mastering.

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Vince Guaraldi
    Love- Forever Changes (Don't quite like it yet but I'm still giving it a chance)
    Dave Clark Five (Love it!!)
    Re-discovered Pet Sounds
    Re-discovered Harry Nilsson

22. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I discovered the Beatles.

23. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Badfinger, Roy orbison, Nat King Cole, Paul Mc Cartney, these are artists I didn't listen to from DCC. Non DCC many many many, by listening to our member's feedback. Too many to list!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Who are they? Maybe I should pick up one of their record albums tomorrow.

25. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I just heard about these guys myself, Jamie. All I know for sure is, one Beatle got hit by a Beetle, according to one picture I saw. Who knows, their songs may be ok, too.

There are a lot of artists that I've just *liked* who I've come to truly love after hearing Steve bring out the best within the recording, that knowledge is all thanks to this site and the recommendations of so many members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.