What bands/artists started from 2000 on do you believe will be hugely remembered 45 years from now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Another thread slagging off modern music in relation to the 'legends' of yesteryear. I give the OP credit for trying to disguise his feelings in the way he has worded the question but the intent is obvious.

Look, if you prefer to just listen to music made 50 or 60 years ago then just do that but don't feel the need to slag of more modern artists.

2. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

That's a really solid list.

Adele and Beyonce are the two at the top of my list, by a long shot. Not just popular, but outsized influence.

Nicki Minaj isn't far behind in my book. She just passed Aretha for most Billboard Hot 100 entries for women in any genre, with 80 million singles sold. In 2010 she even had 7 singles simultaneously in the Hot 100 (the only woman to ever do this....but Drake holds the record with 20 simultaneous Hot 100 singles last year), but it ain't just about sales -- or even just about music. She was named to Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World list just last year.

She's 34, Beyonce's 35, Adele is, uhm, older than 25 I guess :laugh:. And all three are just getting better. I'm really floored by what they're doing at this point in their careers. They've clearly got much more ahead of them.

I'm holding out judgement on Taylor, because we don't know if 1989 is an outlier yet, and that was a looong time ago - 2014, and she's already said not to expect anything new this year. Adele obviously did just fine coming back from a 4-year layoff, and Taylor could be funnin' us and be planning to drop something new any time....but I feel like she's going to need at least one more substantial release to elevate her off the "yeah, moved a lot of units, but whatever" list and onto the "actual work that's gonna last" list, at least for me. But she could totally do it.

Lady Gaga could get there. Maybe not Beatles-Stones level, but certainly, say, Elton John-level, and we're already past 45 years for him. He's definitely "hugely" remembered: still one of the top concert draws, year in and year out. Forty five years just ain't that long ago anymore. :laugh:

I noted Drake's sales, which are insane, and his streams even moreso -- over 150 million streams of his new record in its first 24 hours on Spotify and Apple -- but I honestly don't know enough about his music to know if he's in Kendrick-Kanye territory in the "remembered as an ARTIST in 50 years" category. I personally put Kendrick ahead of Kanye, but both of those are no-brainers for me.

But really, to back up the original question, does anybody from the 70s or 80s make the cut for you, @Brian Lux? Zeppelin? Bowie? Pink Floyd? We're past 45 years for them. Springsteen's at 44 since his first 2 records, 42 since Born to Run. Fleetwood Mac's at 42 since the Fleetwood Mac album, 40 since Rumours. Tom Petty celebrates 40 years this year. Prince and Madonna both over 35 years now. I wouldn't expect you'd say that ALL of these meet your criteria for "hugely remembered", but do ANY of 'em? Because if none of those do it for you, then I doubt that any these 21st century folks can....even if the ones in @Bill Why Man's list and a handful of others feel like easy bets to me.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  3. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

I would say its fair comment. We livei n times where we have thousands of modern bands at our finger tips and its much harder for artists to reach the same hights as The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna etc.

That being said I do believe a lot will still be remembered but if you mean 'still popular'

Maybe only Coldplay. Beyonce and Adele

with The White Stripes/libertines being the cool 'Cult band'

rocknsoul74 and stewedandkeefed like this.
  4. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

:doh: You are totally correct. For some reason I always erroneously think of them as post-2000 artists. Carry on.

5. I'll be pushing 117.

6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Cool. I'll meet you here then and we can complain about the deluxe Ed Sheeran box sets.

7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

No idea but the Stones will still be touring and the Paul McCartney Archive Collection will just have been completed.

8. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One must allow for the possibility that we haven't heard of some of those artists yet.
    Think of what the answers would have been had you asked this question in the US in the early '60s.

I am "not" saying that anyone already mentioned won't be remembered.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Neil Young's Archives Vol. 2 will have just been released...

10. Arcade Fire;
    Angel Olsen;
    Regina Spektor;
    Sun Kil Moon;

The National;
    The White Stripes;
    The Strokes;
    Sufjan Stevens
    (if you forgive me stealing a year or two);

Also, probably The Last Shadow Puppets.

Group of One likes this.
  11. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

D'ya think Mark Lewisohn have finished All These Years part.2 by then?

:confused: :righton:

12. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    :winkgrin:

zebop, RudolphS, PDK and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

None - Is anyone 45 years from now going to be playing Hip Hop or Rap at their 40 year high reunion? Not a lot to remember. But it's just a different society and world now, especially 40 or 50 years from now. All genres of music and art have their point in time. Rock and Blues had it's. Something else will come along for the young people like it has for centuries....Some people say Radio head....maybe. But I can't see it.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nickel back could have a long life as a punchline. The new "no soap radio".

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

All of them.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Some real optimism there!

bopdd and INSW like this.
  17. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I hope I don't hear Ed Sheeran again for 45 years.

royzak2000, deany76, zebop and 6 others like this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

There's a lot more than rap and hip hop out there. I listen to a lot of new music and none of it is rap or hip hop.

ToddH likes this.
  19. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Oh I know there is a lot more out there....I buy a lot...But the hip hop and rap was the first thing that came to mind, as far as having zero chance of being recalled in history. No substance in it.

Hardy Melville and showtaper like this.
  20. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

This is actually a very depressing thread. Taylor Swift? I am literally screaming with laughter!

If really pushed on the subject, I can only think of two acts that may pass the test of time: Coldplay and Avenged Sevenfold.

21. tap

tap Forum Resident

King Gizzard

Travadinho and KariK like this.
  22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

In my perfect world, Parquet Courts would make the grade.

and (referencing previous post) maybe King Gizzard too. Like what I've heard from them.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I doubt any of today's music will be appreciated like Classical music has for hundreds of years now. Nor will anything compare to bands of the 60's & 70's which are still making new fans today.

24. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The Age of Music Giants

:)

Jim B. likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I predict King Gizzard will only be remembered for 32 years; yet the Lizard Wizard will be in peoples conciousness for one half century.

Im not certain about this, but you tell me any reasons why the soldering wheat would put forth the cream fax stiletto?

And Ill then step back a notch.

Amen

Uh-uh, that is what I thought.

Roland Stone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.