What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not that anyone asked, but I went shopping tonight to supplement my "Re:Call4"

In addition to:

I decided the following fit my vision, so I bought some more lossless downloads from 7digital and Tidal:

"Fame 90 (w/ Queen Latifah)"
    (So sue me. I played the hell out of this 12-inch at the time it was new. The only real compliance quibble is that it's a true Ryko baby, and even I get that they are verboten for reasons unknown, but this isn't for the Library of Parlophone. It's for me.)

"Space Oddity (Stylophone and Guitar)"
    (The descriptions of DB developing this song on his stylophone in the Dylan Jones book caught my attention, and I've seen that ridiculous/wonderful print ad with DB in it, so I've always wondered what the "stylophone" brought to the party. Listened to this, and was greatly pleased with the whole "performance" - a great, skeletal impression of "Space Oddity" that nonetheless brings it home and stands alone.)

"Sound and Vision 2013"
    (The Illustrated db Discography (online) pointed out that this was done for - a car ad, IIRC? - but I've always loved it. Like the previous track, a great, seductive, sparse dig into a familiar experience. I also got the "808 State" S+V EP, because I once had the promo 12", but these didn't necessarily age that well. Still on the fence about including any of those.)

"Rebel Rebel"/"Rebel Never Gets Old" (Reality)
    (Gimmicky, but I like 'em. I know the former is available, live, all over the place, but I like the brevity and economy of the studio version. And even though I heard it and yawned when it came out, RNGO today carries a surprising emotional wallop for such a cynical gimmick.)

"Golden Years (KCRW Mixes)"
    (Didn't care for them when they came out. Don't like them now. Didn't buy. Again, I'm not trying to play librarian these days...)

"Life on Mars? (2016 for "Legacy")
    (For some reason, I thought they took out the strings, not the drums. Ambivalent. I still have to back it up to something, now that I've bought it, but I don't think it'll make the "Re:Call4" cut. This mix also gives piano short shrift in places, IMHO. I also get that this was not "previously released" when it was time to fish or cut bait on the FY box.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    wavethatflag likes this.
  2. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Ziggy - side 2
    Pin Ups - side 1

Slick Willie and wavethatflag like this.
  3. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I am working my way through the 'A New Career In A New Town'-box and this week I've been listening to 'Heroes' (the corrected/replacement CD version) and the 'Heroes' EP.
    It is great stuff and despite the beating it has received I am very happy for the box.
    The compilation disc ends with recordings from 'Baal' and a duet with Big Crosby.
    They are nice to have but they also convince me this is where to get off the Bowie wagon.
    Lets' dance? No thanks!

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Re:Call3" really works as a great CD on its own to listen to. More than just a dutiful culling. Better than the 1st two (IMHO). (Including Baal and Bing, both of which I'm glad to have. There, I've said it.)

And someone else has already posted that the "Demo" of the song "Let's Dance" recently dropped on the streaming services really points out how there's no there there. Always felt that way about the song.

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

The 6/25/2000 Glastonbury show opening with Wild is the Wind. Marvelous!

7. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

Reality - fantastic record!

8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Let’s Dance

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I bought the 'Moulin Rouge' soundtrack last week for this song. I don't care for the regular version but this I like.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

In my continued effort to assemble my last word on the Parlophone boxes, I decided I needed a disc of any/all hi-res Bowie released on the world by EMI. (Parlophone doesn't get to have all the fun. I decided that maybe recordings put out 10+ years ago as "hires", by EMI, while they might have smaller resolution numbers, might have captured sources while in better condition.)

So this means: Ziggy (DSD), Ziggy (DVD), Young Americans (2007 DVD), David Live DVD-A(2005), Scary Monsters (DSD). EMI put out 8 albums

Code:
    foobar2000 1.4 beta 6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-02-24 02:07:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: David Bowie / Young Americans EMI (2007)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.83 dB      5:13 ?-01 Young Americans
    DR10       0.00 dB   -12.10 dB      4:45 ?-02 Win
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.48 dB      5:47 ?-03 Fascination
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.96 dB      4:17 ?-04 Right
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.97 dB      6:33 ?-05 Somebody
    DR11       0.00 dB   -12.91 dB      4:31 ?-06 Across the Universe
    DR12       0.00 dB   -14.37 dB      5:08 ?-07 Can You Hear Me
    DR14       0.00 dB   -15.66 dB      4:17 ?-08 Fame

Number of tracks:  8
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   24
    Bitrate:           2304 kbps
    Codec:             PCM
    ================================================================================

log date: 2018-02-24 02:10:54

Analyzed: David Bowie / Who Can I Be Now? [1974 - 1976]

DR10      -0.02 dB   -11.63 dB      5:14 34-Young Americans (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR11      -0.02 dB   -13.61 dB      4:48 36-Win (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR11      -0.02 dB   -12.58 dB      5:48 37-Fascination (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR11      -0.02 dB   -13.25 dB      4:23 38-Right (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR9       -0.02 dB   -11.09 dB      6:36 39-Somebody Up There Likes Me (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR9       -0.32 dB   -11.45 dB      4:34 40-Across The Universe (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR10      -0.02 dB   -12.44 dB      5:09 41-Can You Hear Me (2016 Remastered Version)
    DR12      -0.02 dB   -13.66 dB      4:21 42-Fame (2016 Remastered Version)

Number of tracks:  8
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:        192000 Hz
    Bitrate:           5258 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================

So that's 8 70s titles EMI unleashed in stereo hi-res while they still had the chance: Ziggy DVD, Ziggy DSD, Davd Live DVD-A (2005), Young Americans 2007, Station to Station 2010, Stage DVD-A (2005), Scary Monsters 2003. I still lack a couple of titles, so I ripped the "Young Americans" DVD (2007) tonight to compare it to the Parlophone 2016:

Solace likes this.
  11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

A couple of really good ones in there I think: Station to Station 2010, the analogue direct transfer used for the record (why can't they do this for all Hi-Res downloads?), and Davd Live DVD-A 2005, where Tony V did a great job on the remix in my opinion. Young Americans 2007 I remember liking as well but I'd need to listen again. The Ziggy DVD I remember as good but not capturing the excitement of Ziggy on vinyl, but then I say that about all digital versions of Ziggy to be honest. Stage 2005 sounded even 'clearner' than the original - not necessarily a good thing (and I'm a big fan of the album on vinyl). Scary Monsters 2003 was just the 1999 remaster on SACD, wasn't it? Not much to get excited about there......

12. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Pin Ups on an original UK vinyl pressing- this one is a killer soundwise.

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Well, the "Digital Remaster" on "Scary Monsters" carried a different copyright date (specifically for the remastering) from 1999. So it is probably not the same exact thing, but it is good - not great. My go-to on "Scary Monsters" continues to be a vinyl rip. After posting last night I went through the whole of YA 2007 end to end and I think it's really good, if in need of my now-standard application of a loss of energy by about -8db.

On my desktop with a standard "hi-def" motherboard audio chip, the thing had a seductive great soundstage, but I couldn't listen for more than about three minutes because of teh harsh. Moved things to a system with human control over EQ, governed by an M-Audio 192 PCI card, and that was a lot better.

And yes, everything I've heard from EMI in "hi-res" pales next to the STS 2010. That was a singular achievement. I still have a couple gaps in my DB/EMI/hi-res collection, and I'm not paying $189 for the "David Live" DVD, so I'mma give pirateland a chance to help me out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Solace and walrus like this.
  14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

This week it’s been the original UK orange label vinyl of Stage, which I recently bought. Sounds SUPERB! A seriously good vinyl experience IMO. It was a favourite of mine when I was first getting into Bowie in the early 80s, but the CD versions over the years left me cold (it was already clean enough to start with...). It’s been a joy rediscovering this underrated (IMO) gem. Visconti recorded it beautifully, though as we all know also went overboard in the audience mix unfortunately (which the very digital-sounding 2005 remix didn’t really fix). But anyway, put the tracks in the right order (rip to digital), get over the lack of a live ‘feel’ and just enjoy the superb performances. Seriously, the man and the band sound FABULOUS!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  15. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Yesterday I listend to my copy of "Low" from the ANCIANT Box-Set and was positively surprised, since I remembered the 2017 Remaster as being a bit flat.
    Today its the 2017 Version of Stage for me. I was always a big Fan of this record and I think the remaster is pretty good and brings a lot of life into the record.
    Highlights for me are the Warszawa + Heroes Pair in the beginning - both songs work so well with each other.
    The "new" Jean Genie is brilliant and one of the best versions of the song.

On the downside: My favorite Bowie-Song "Station To Station" lacks a bit of energy in this performance. It is far away from the absolutely brilliant, more-hardrock, darker and gritty version on the Nassau 76-Album.
    And I still miss Rebel Rebel as the encore...

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So tonight I finally got my hands on Ziggy Stardust. Well, to be precise.. the 24bit/48kHz Stereo fold down of the Ken Scott 5.1 2003 remix, as found on the 2012 40th anniversary Ziggy DVD which came in a deluxe bundle with the vinyl. (Try putting THAT in parentheses after every song when you're tagging).

Although a touch loud in parts ("Starman" of all things, in retrospect, and "Lady Stardust" was my first real notice of it), a certain DR relief is spread over the course of the album. Probably about as good as these things get in the post-"loudness wars" years. Also, another case where I really thought about finally shopping for a subwoofer. For much of the album, my only EQ was a slight upslope at the high end of the EQ sliders. Like Paul Stanley, I have never lost my childhood fondness for turning up the "treble" when listening to rekkids. But the title song really came up lacking in the bass - like something had suddenly gone WRONG, so I put a little bump in the bottom - a small hill peaking at 220 Hz.

The only ZS I've given a sitdown listen to in the last few years was the DSD, and some almost-there time with a vinyl rip I grabbed (for scientific purposes). I ignored what was on the "Five Years" box because there was always something more interesting to do. The DSD failed the "Why am I bothering?" standard - as in, I frequently asked myself that listening to the DSD. And that question is pretty much the smell test of music. (At least the DSD didn't fail the "There's 40 minutes of my life I'm not getting back" test.)

I'm in no position to rank the myriad versions of ZS when I've only intently listened to ~two in the last 10 years or so, but I'd recommend this to anyone. However, going strictly by the DR numbers, I got the booby prize because the 16/44.1 Ken Scott 2003 mix CD supplied in the "Five Years" box seems to leave this one in the dust:

Code:
    log date: 2018-02-25 01:54:48

Analyzed: David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust (2003 Ken Scott Remix CD)

DR12      -3.29 dB   -19.94 dB      4:43 01-Five Years
    DR16      -0.87 dB   -19.93 dB      3:33 02-Soul Love
    DR16      -0.94 dB   -19.03 dB      4:40 03-Moonage Daydream
    DR14      -1.97 dB   -19.30 dB      4:10 04-Starman
    DR13      -2.34 dB   -19.93 dB      2:59 05-It Ain't Easy
    DR15      -0.75 dB   -18.75 dB      3:21 06-Lady Stardust
    DR13      -1.94 dB   -17.05 dB      2:47 07-Star
    DR14      -0.92 dB   -18.67 dB      2:38 08-Hang On to Yourself
    DR15      -1.26 dB   -18.05 dB      3:13 09-Ziggy Stardust
    DR13      -3.70 dB   -17.71 dB      3:25 10-Suffragette City
    DR12      -3.07 dB   -20.65 dB      2:58 11-Rock & Roll Suicide

Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           718 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC

log date: 2018-02-25 01:54:06

Analyzed: David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust (2003 Ken Scott Remix fold-down)

DR8       -0.30 dB   -11.31 dB      4:43 ?-01 Five Years
    DR9       -0.30 dB   -12.44 dB      3:34 ?-02 Soul Love
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -10.66 dB      4:40 ?-03 Moonage Daydream
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -10.74 dB      4:07 ?-04 Starman
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -12.15 dB      2:57 ?-05 It Ain't Easy
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -10.38 dB      3:23 ?-06 Lady Stardust
    DR8       -0.30 dB    -9.72 dB      2:48 ?-07 Star
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -10.63 dB      2:40 ?-08 Hang on to Yourself
    DR9       -0.30 dB   -10.78 dB      3:15 ?-09 Ziggy Stardust
    DR8       -0.29 dB    -9.20 dB      3:25 ?-10 Suffragette City
    DR8       -0.30 dB   -12.36 dB      3:00 ?-11 Rock and Roll Suicide

Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
    Bitrate:           2304 kbps
    Codec:             PCM

jhm likes this.
  17. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

my “go to” Bowie albums this week and every week are Station To Station and Low.
    go to songs are Life On Mars and the a cappella version of Under Pressure

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I watched this again last night. A commanding performance.

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Replacement "Heroes" CD

20. NightGoatToCairo

Never heard this one on vinyl. Bowie's vocals are superb. I just wish the guitars were more prominent on a Ziggy and Hang On. The 5Years/Soul Love/Star segment gets regular listens as do all the instrumentals.

Solace likes this.
  21. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It was a different band, so therefore a different sound (keyboards being more prominent). As my first introduction to the world of Bowie, it was all I knew for a while, and it was rather a shock when I eventually got to hear the original albums (Ziggy and Low in particular). I liked it and still do. Our man was certainly in fine voice. If you're a fan, do check out an original RCA UK vinyl copy if you can. They're very reasonably priced compared to his other albums (fans of Stage being quite a rare breed...) and it really does sound superb. Certainly streets ahead of any CD version I've heard. In fact I added the 2005 remaster Hi-Res version of 'Stay' to my vinyl rip (in sequence), and even after adjusting for volume, the difference in dyanamics made me, literally, wince.

TonyCzar likes this.
  22. NightGoatToCairo

I've not have a turntable in over 25 years. I started buying vinyl again around five years ago, with the intention of getting a player. For various reasons I have recently decided I'm going no further.
    I knew the Ziggy album before Stage but I actually prefer some of the live versions over the studio tracks, as I mentioned previously. I have Stage CD on RCA, Ryko, 2005 Special Edition and the two in ANCIANT.

TonyCzar likes this.
  23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Special Edition.

Slick Willie, Sean and jhm like this.
  24. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Played this yesterday - 2018 reissue
    [​IMG]

25. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Some 21st century Bowie today....
    [​IMG]