What can you tell me about Old 97s.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member Thread Starter

Any fans of this band here, if so what would you recommend i buy first, i just heard my first song by them today ''No Baby I'' on the radio and loved it, terrific little song with nice vocals/playing ''the guitarist is very good'' what a pleasant surprise, i love it when this happens.

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I really like them...Rhett Miller's band. There is a very nice comp available that would be a great place to start:cheers:

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That track is from Blame it On Gravity, perhaps that would be a good album to start with. Their early albums (Hitchhike to Rhome and Wreck Your Life) tend to be more country influenced, I recommend them all.

4. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I thought I would like them but I was turned off immediately. Why is the drummer playing so fast??

5. live evil

live evil Senior Member

One of my favorite current bands.
    (Odd coincidence - "Too Far to Care" is the album of the day on AMG.)
    I came to them via their 4th lp, "Fight Songs" which moves away from the more country leanings on their first 3 releases.
    You will find fans of their earlier releases feel differently about their more recent releases than I do.
    I love their pop leanings.
    Try either "Fight Songs" or "Satellite Rides."
    "Fight Songs" has "Jagged" and "Oppenheimer" while "Satellite Rides" has "Roller Skate Skinny."
    There is also a best of out there, that might be the best choice for you.
    Enjoy.

Monosterio and Rocketdog like this.
  6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

the only thing I know about the old 97 is that it was wrecked. ;)

7. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks i think i'll start with this one since i love the track so much.:thumbsup:

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Rhett Miller's solo stuff is real good as well, although a bit more poppy.

Rocketdog likes this.
  9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I've been a fan of them for many years now, saw them open up for Wilco in Toronto around 1999. They are from Texas, very adept at Alternative Pop/Twang.

Favorite tune of mine would be "Buick City Complex" off the Satellite Rides album.

Wildgift likes this.
  10. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I first took notice when "Jagged" was getting some airplay. I bought Fight Songs and never looked back. Bought all their previous discs and every one since. Saw them live on the Satellite Rides tour and was very impressed with their energy. They play like their lives depend on it. I've always thought it was strange they don't get discussed here. I think they have a very wide appeal. I have a friend that pretty much hates anything alt-country, yet loves the Old 97s.

11. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Playing Satellite Rides from 2001 and it's every bit as good as i remembered.

They are like the Replacements' slightly more upbeat (but not in a shallow way) kid brothers.

12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

for me it started with Fight Songs......

13. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Absolutely! For example, my fave 97s tune:

Saw an interview with Rhett Miller where he said, "We were so tired of big rock bands that we decided to make a band with absolutely no chance of commercial success" and that they played "very loud folk music." So it's pretty hard not to dig that!

moople72 likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

They've been a good band for a long time, but honestly never surpassed "Time Bomb" from Too Far To Care for me. Really captured a place in time with that record.

TerryB likes this.
  15. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Here's what I can tell you:

They are currently finishing up their latest album.

They are celebrating their 20th anniversary together.

Winona Ryder dated Rhett for a while, he wrote "Rollerskate Skinny" about her.

Janeane Garofalo is a huge fan of them, and got them to make their TV debut on the "Late Show" when she filled in for Letterman, who was recuperating from heart-bypass surgery.

16. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Love 'em so much, we named our kiddo after Rhett. (And, yes, my avatar is an Instagram shot I took of them last year).

17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

That's cool - another Rhett!

18. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The other thing that must be said about the 97s is they have super-clever lyrics, which is what happens when you stick an English major in a bar band. The second verse of "Barrier Reef" always just kills me:

So I sidled up beside her, settled down and shouted, "Hi there!"
    "My name's Stewart Ransom Miller, I'm a serial ladykiller."
    She said, "I'm already dead," that's exactly what she said.

My entry point was Too Far to Care, and it's a swell place to start. Peppy, yet poppy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Claxton and Lloyd like this.
  19. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

They are just about one of the best bands around right now. Fight Songs is a great place to start.

20. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

"Lonely Holiday" from "Fight Songs" has always been a favorite.

21. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

"Barrier Reef" is my favorite song. The lyrics throughout are great.

I am a big fan of the late 1990s-2001 work, but found the last couple releases kind of spotty. I'm embarrassed to say I have yet to catch then live.

22. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Yep, except mine's a sweet little 2 year old girl.

23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Very eclectic-rock,folk,country,powerpop all in there.I've seen them live twice,and Rhett solo twice,all great shows.And attract a very nice crowd!

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I can't add much to what's been said as far as the music, but I can mention Vince Vaughn is a big Old 97s fan. As am I.:)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  25. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The earlier albums (Hitchhike To Rome, Wrecked) are more country, or cow-punk leaning, the middle period (Too Far To Care, Fight Songs, Satellite Rides) more pop as they progressed, and the ones that followed (Drag It Up, Blame It On Gravity, The Grande Theater Vol's I and II) try to strike a balance between the two worlds.

The middle period is my favorite era of the band, and Rhett Miller's solo career kind of sprang out of that sound. Personally, I think his second (The Instigator) and third (The Believer) solo albums are outstanding! The ones which have followed, I haven't been so enamored of. Ironically, somewhat, I find the more recent Old 97's albums - particularly The Grande Theater Vol's I and II - have gotten more enjoyable, while his solo material less so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.