What cartridge is on your VPI Scout?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

I've used 2; First was Benz Micro Glider. Now using a Benz Micro MC1. High outputs.

Everytime I plan on getting a cartridge for it, I think Dynavector. But like a Koetsu, I never do get one. I plan on it but it just hasn't happened. Maybe next time since the Benz have shot up so much in price, I'll finally get a Dynavector.

2. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

20x2M - the VPI version that I don't think they make anymore.

3. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Lyra Delos

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys there are a lot of choices. In time I will do more research. The 2nd wand is the 1st priority. Anyone having 2 VPI wands have any good storage ideas or cases where the unused wand can reside?

I'm not sure Gloomrider its the standard JMW-9 tonearm on the reg scout.

Stefan I don't get motor noise you may have heard one of my recent drops. Not like when the TT was new. Due to my setup I had lots of noise I refined the setup and it all but went away. Now I get what I think is tonearm resonance mostly between 5 and 15Hz. I built a sand box with the motor isolated I thought it was an improvement.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

AT33PTG/II on my Scoutmaster.... Went back to it after having an Ortofon A90, Zyx Airy 3, Zyx 4D and Soundsmith Sussorro...it is that good

utahusker likes this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Indeed your rig is sounding good. I haven't been checking the needledrop thread for awhile but I was just there checking out some of the samples. The Fleetwood Mac Rumours ones sounded really good. I compared to mine with the same cartridge but with noise reduction to remove the heavy 120Hz hum at get a 45rpm and yours is every bit as quiet with no noise reduction.

7. ghost rider

Yes the only noise reduction I do is on the gaps.

I am doing a 25Hz and below mute that lowers the perceivable floor noise a little.

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I had an ATPTG33 non II, which was my all time favorite MC cartridge.

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have since moved on to a Classic with a Soundsmith Zephyr II, but really enjoyed the Shelter 501 Mk II on the Scout.

10. ghost rider

I did consider Zephyr II and a concern I have with any possible second cartridge is it has to be able to use a MC phono input. Otherwise its to much of a pain to switch it around.

11. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I started with an Ortofon 2M Black on my Scout 1.1, then upgraded to a Dynavector 17D3. The 17D3 is now residing on my new VPI Prime.

12. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

I just bought a Scout 1.1 with a Ortofon Bronze.

13. nstereo

nstereo Forum Resident

One arm with a 2M Black and a Denon 301mk2 on the other..Enjoy both

14. Darren Lewinski

Darren Lewinski Member

Scout II with a Benz Micro Glider SL

15. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I've mainly used the Soundsmith Zephyr.

16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

What values are you loading your 301.

17. mesabassman

mesabassman Forum Resident

Benz Micro H2 (Wood Body)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  18. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I had a Benz Ace SL on my Scout. Sounded great!!

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Get the VPI prime, the motor is isolated. I am planning on replacing my Classic with it. I used 20XL and replaced it with a Zephyr.

20. ghost rider

My Scout is also isolated, just saying.

21. ghost rider

Thanks guys,
    I’m ready for my next step. I got a good deal on a JMW-9 wand so here is my short list Dynavector 17D3, 20x2, or maybe XX-2. The XX-2 is above what I want to spend but I want to “know” I made an improvement so a few hundred more may be well spent.
    The Ortofon Quintet Black is also a consideration certainly more in my price range. I thought about the AT33PT/II but as with any AT cartridge it may be similar to the AT-OC9ML/II, I want to branch out and hear some thing new.

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The Dynavectors are low risk, sure bets. The Quintet black is new and somewhat risky from lack of info. However the 2M black is building a solid rep. from a solid company and the Quintet is reportedly better. Check the Analog Planet review if you haven't already.

23. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Happy with an Ortofon 2M Black on my Scout 1.1, but still in break-in. I think my phono stage may be too hot, though. Need either an attenuation solution or one with gain control.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I used to use a Benz Micro silver which is a HOMC cartridge. I switched a few years ago to the Sumiko Blackbyrd which was a big step up and it is also a HOMC. I've never looked back. I wouldn't mind giving another cartridge a try but I'm pretty satisfied with the Blackbyrd.

25. Thermionic Vinyl

Thermionic Vinyl Analogue Guru

Soundsmith Aida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.