What do all ya vinyl folks use for phono stages?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPartyka, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've been curious about external phono stages lately. I've never used one and I think it might be the target for my next hardware upgrade. (I use a wonderful vintage Marantz 2230 receiver ... I've always been very surprised at and extraordinarily pleased with the performance of its phono preamp but have been wondering if an outboard stage would be better still.)

Money is an object, so cheaper is better ($200 or less?), but I'd be willing to find a way to stretch the budget a little for something that's a knockout. What does everyone here use?

Thanks.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The Audio Electronic Supply's . PH-1 . Great sound. Very stable, wonderful tuby output. Looks gorgeous too even as a kit.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Preamp

I use a NAD 3140 as a Pre Amp only.

It does a nice job, and for the 40 bucks i paid for it, it does a GREAT job!!!!

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I had a NAD 1020 preamp for almost twenty years, but the on/off switch finally took a dump. Great unit . I'm going to get it repaired for my backup. Currently I use a Parasound PH-850, but plan on getting an outboard phono section.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I use an Acoustic Alchemy VAC-In-The-Box.

6. GMav

GMav Senior Member

I use the Mark Levinson No. 32 Reference Phono Modules which slide into the back of the No. 32 Reference PreAmp/Controller.

7. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I use an EAR 834P with the stock (!!) valves at the moment.

8. JPartyka

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I hadn't heard of a few of these.

I'm probably just going to have to wait until I can afford something really good ... I'd love to try the AES PH-1 Sckott mentions, for instance, but I'd probably need to buy it pre-assembled, and I just can't swing the cost now. In any case, in a similar price range there are also Lehmann and EAR products that look interesting.

Right now all I could afford, methinks, would be something like a Creek OBH-8, which I've seen used for $120 or so, or standalone stages from NAD, Rotel or Parasound. I just don't know if they'd be any significant step up from the stage in my good ol' Marantz 2230. I really don't want to waste my money ...

Audio Advisor has a 30-day return policy, though. I guess I could try the Creek or something, and then return it if it's no improvement ... I'd just be out shipping charges.

9. Sckott

The Creek is really good, and although the Rega Fono is a nice little SS pre, you might like the Creek a tinge better.

The PH-1 is so loveable, but you might lose your mind assembling it. It tain't for the squemish! You remember that photo of the PH-1 I posted as "built"? Spiders nest!

10. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Sckott,

I just got an AES PH-1, pre-assembled. What tubes do you like with yours? I also just got a Rega P-25 with an Elys cartridge.
    It seems that my PH-1 takes about half an hour to warmup before it starts to sound its best (about the legnth of side 1 of a lp).

Jeff

11. I have a NAD 7020 reciever that I bought at a junk shop for $20 some 8 years ago. It has a better phono stage than my late lamented McIntosh C-32 preamp, which although very collectible, was nowhere near as clean. NAD must mean Nice And Detailed (laughing).

I had a Marantz of similar vintage to yours Jeff (gave it to a desperate buddy) and it was not as good as the NAD either. NAD currently offers a small outboard preamp about the size of a pack of cigs (or 2) for $150 that is purported to be their best phono circuit yet.

12. Sckott

Steve, being a big help, told me a few things as I was shopping for premium tubes. The unit takes 2 6SL7's and a 12Au7. I found a Mullard 12AU7 and later fell in love with the RCA JAN 6189W with the green print. I took that Mullard (and an identical brother) and brought them over to my Foreplay.

I wanted to go for those very eBayable and expensive 5691 RCA's with the Red bases. He said, "Nah, just try and find some black bottom 6SL7's with the side getters". And dag nabbit, they cost a heck of a lot less, and absolutely were right on the money, as far as sound. They're still in there. I've sold the stock Philips 6SL7's. Keep them around for spares!

As far as burn in time, I haven't noticed that. It could depend on tubes, though.

13. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Thanks Sckott! I'll have to try those. You know of a good internet source?

14. JPartyka

Beagle,

This went by me earlier. How do you like that one? I know it's only available used now.

Also, anyone ever heard the Acurus P-10?

15. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

I am using my old Carver C-1 pre. Has two Phono inputs, 1 is MM, 1 for MC.....

16. Andy

Andy New Member

I use the Phonomena phono stage with separate power supply.
    The cartridge you plan to use will have a lot to do with your choice of phono stage.

Paul Weinel likes this.
  17. JPartyka

I use a Dynavector 10x4 Mk II (high-output MC) cart, on a Rega Planar 3 table/RB300 arm.

I'm still looking around (I'm in no real hurry), so ... any further suggestions are very welcome ...

18. Andy

Andy New Member

For around $200 you could try the Gram Amp. It's mail order only but they give you a 30 day home trial.

http://www.elexatelier.com/

:D

19. Clive Camm

Clive Camm New Member

I'm using an Acoustech PH-1 with my Rega P25 and Elys cart. It was real stretch financially to get it, but I'm glad I did. Looking forward to the day when I can slap a better cart on my tonearm.

20. JPartyka

Can you share your thoughts on this Andy? I've seen a used one for $350 (without separate power supply).

21. Andy

Andy New Member

I love it. The power supply is a must though. With out battery power it is ok just not really good. With battery power it really comes alive. I bought a demo unit about $800 for the pair. I don't think there is a cartridge made it couldn’t properly mate with. If you change cartridges a lot I guess that could be a plus.

22. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Nad 3140

My Nad 3140 amp has a great Preamp section, which is all I use from it. It has two Phono inputs, one MM, and one normal, which is GREAT because I have a Rotel with a Sumiko Blue Point as my LP table, and a classic garrard with an AT44 for 45s and 78 transcriptions. The output of the Preamp feeds my switch box which allows me to route the Turntables anywhere in my audio chain, including to the PC for processing with Cool Edit Pro.

23. JPartyka

Thanks again everybody. You've alerted me to what seem like some very good models. I've decided to stretch my budget a bit (I have some things I can sell), leaving the $150-$300 Creek, Parasound, et al models behind; if I'm going to do this at all I think I'm going to go up to the $500-or-so range.

That puts me in view of the AES PH-1, the EAR 834P, the Phonomena, the Black Cube, and some others ... I plan on taking my time and doing research, visiting dealers, maybe doing a home demo or two if I can swing it ... My LP collection is so important to me that I really want to get this right.

24. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I'm using a used Audio Research PH3 phono section that feeds into my Audio Reearch LS 9 line stage. I really enjoy the sound and hope to upgrade to the SE edition when the funds allow.

25. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I'm using the built-in phono stage in my Rega Mira, and I've very happy with it. Indeed, the vast majority of records I've played sound warm and full - very well balanced tonally. I'd also suspect that this would be a great match for a Rega TT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.