What Do You Think Of This Logo?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by colinu, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving! Thread Starter

Feedback?
    [​IMG]

2. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I think creative people should be able to do better. :)

Sorry. You asked. I was looking for that optical illusion to drive it home, but I am just not grasping it.

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Not sure what the logo is trying to convey.

Dudley Morris and PHILLYQ like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Until I read the small type at the bottom, I thought it was for some new, one calorie, orange soda.

izgoblin, OcdMan, swandown and 8 others like this.
  5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Honestly, dull and derivative. A san serif bolder font juxtaposed next to a lighter weight of that font -- how many multiple thousands of logos have been using that same motif for years now. At least it doesn't have some sort of circular swoosh along with it. I agree with jon9091 above, mostly looks like a generic brand soft drink is being implied.

:shrug:

6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

It's a pleasant enough design to me, but my (admittedly warped) mind sees the dots in a compromising position.

Robert C and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I think the "logo" in question might actually be the series of circles above the sans serif font name. The ones that (to me) vaguely look like a letter "K".

@colinu Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

Shouldn't a logo transport a message? I'm not sure, what the message of your template should be. Sorry!

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Kind of spotty. :)

forthlin and jon9091 like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It should be blue.

11. colinu

FYI - I didn't design it and have nothing to do with the business it represents.

12. colinu

Nobody else sees two people?

13. jon9091

Oh, now I see it! *

*not really....just humoring her.

14. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

My brain tells me the icon a "K", although I likely wouldn't have gotten that without the actual kelby one logo.

Scott Kelby provides a lot of educational training for Photoshop-based photography, and is actually quite good at what he does.

The faded circles in the background simulate bokeh, a photography term for lights being shot out of focus, which is almost always for artistic effect.

As far as the actual kelby one logo itself, it works well enough for what it is. I don't love it or hate it. These logos are usually composited on highly detailed media such as book covers, so they serve a purpose of having a simple contrast and being easy to read.

15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

A good mark should work in black & white, and should also be able to be reduced to a small size, like .25". I won’t research the face, but a good mark also, very often, uses hand rendered type rather than a font. Maybe the mark works as a riff off K and O, but I would like to see this black only to determine if it has balance without the background.

I think the height to width vs. type size is a bit awkward. Letter spacing is snug and accentuates the difficult fit of the lc Y. I don't think the dots are doing much work. This feels like a quick and somewhat thoughtless mark designed by someone with more photoshop background than lettering and logo work.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not a fan, but the thing about logos is even poorly designed ones can become 'iconic' if the property it's attached to becomes mainstream. There's nothing particularly brilliant about the IBM logo or Google - just letters, but now have a certain cachet.

bababooey likes this.
  17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Classic Paul Rand. Probably doesn't get much better. Perfectly functional. Not a font, custom drawn letters so it can't be knocked off easily. Reproduces small—you can screen print in on a click pen. Works in one color or reverse. That is a proper logo.

18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Review site for lens bokeh...;)

19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

OK, I'm not the artsiest/fartsiest (well maybe fartsiest) guy on the forum, but you'll have to help me out here.
    In what universe do people look like a bunch of circles? Please explain where there are two people represented in this logo.

As a non-artist or designer, I agree with most folks responding. Not a good logo. Not attractive, doesn't communicate anything.
    Although I agree it might be a good logo for orange soda.

20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

For reference, here's a logo from a similar creative course company.

[​IMG]

21. The circles did make me think of air bubbles, such as one might find in a soda.

22. If they're in a compromising position, then yeah I can sort of see it.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. colinu

Finally!

24. jon9091

The bubble people are spooning.

izgoblin and Mister Charlie like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

Right, and if they are going for a subliminal thing, do better.
    My first thought was bubbles in weird color liquid.

A logo should be good, and not have average people like me immediately thinking "I could come up with something better in a minute."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.