What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Isn't there an earlier stereo mix of Strawberry Fields Forever? I read it somewhere on here. And the original mix of I Want To Hold Your Hand is not available on CD. Wasn't it remixed by Sir. George for the "A Collection Of Beatle Oldies?" In 1966. Was that a German release only? And isn't this the mix we now have on the remasteres Past Masters Vol.1? Along with Baby Martin's (said with affection not malice) remix on The One remix in 2015.

2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

No wait, what?....EMI is gone? What happened to it?

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The stereo mix on the US LP was done around the same time as the mono mix. I prefer it to the 1971 remix.

There are actually two previous stereo mixes. One is on an Australian single and is from the same mixing session as the stereo "This Boy". The other was done in 1965 for a European compilation.

john morris likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes there was an early stereo mix of SFF.

Does anyone know if it’s on the Blue album remaster?

5. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Never on CD. But it's on the original US blue album LP.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Anybody buy this remix, play it once and then file it away, never to be played again?

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I see what you did there.:D

Bern and bherbert like this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

More or less. It’s not a go-to version.

marcb and bherbert like this.
  9. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I gave my copy to a friend who wanted to hear the mono edition. Frankly it’s a waste of space.

bherbert likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Nope. Like it.

Will play the new stereo vinyl mix as often as my 1967 original MONO vinyl. Have actually puled it out for a listen more often of late, for a different point of (listening) reference.

I think Giles did a good job at trying to find & explore the "feel" of what might have been done if the Beatles had been involved in the stereo mix....Paul had some input on this? Or at least his stamp of approval. And if I read it rightly, Giles had done a lot of prep work, listening to the MONO mix, using references, playback speeds etc etc as to the original intention...

I like it...also, for us Americans finally, who never had the UK mix, for the run off that has the forever repeat chant by John and the boys. It was an oft repeated legend over here about that strange ending (or non-ending) to one of the greatest LPs released in 1967, or any other year. The first time I heard it was on the MONO box Sgt Peppers from a decade ago. (And I bought Peppers in 1967 when it was released!)

I say good job Giles, even if some think it is not quite right to have even attempted it. "A" for effort and best intentions to get to what had never been attempted before, and "VF" (very fine) for sound reproduction and mix.

Just my own, if obviously subjective, opinion...

:tiphat:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  11. alexpop

I like Giles, but I think he fancies himself as a producer.

Keith V likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

I will say that I always and still do love the original stereo vinyl 1967 mix. I don't think the new stereo mix is heresy. I had to be done. Maybe the only ones who could have done it really "properly" are our own Steve Hoffman or Bruce Botnick, who did an amazing job on merely remastering "Forever Changes"....and on the "Strange Days" recent re-release.

13. Yes

bherbert likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I like Giles, but I think he fancies himself ... period. ;)

lobo, Keith V and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

$40.00 saved. 160.00 to go.
    It's getting cheaper all the time.

17. alexpop

Yeah ..a lot of hair mirror thing going on. I'm jealous !!! :laugh:

Keith V likes this.
  18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The 6th Beatle?

19. alexpop

Martin ? Yes!!! ;)

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Put aside $10 per week, and you'll be right on schedule come November.

21. alexpop

You sussed my strategy, huh. :winkgrin:

PDK and lemonade kid like this.
  22. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Not around these here parts young fella, I'm here to tell ya that there ain't nothing better than putting that 50th on the old victoler and listen to it while sipping chicory on the front porch swing.

bherbert and lemonade kid like this.
  23. lemonade kid

"It was twenty years ago today....". Or was it 51 years, in a couple weeks?

Oh yeah.

:magoo:

alexpop and bherbert like this.
  24. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

No. Like it for many reasons.

lemonade kid and bherbert like this.
  25. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I routinely solicit the opinions of people I respect in most all areas of life.

I then consider the points they make; sometimes agreeekng, sometimes not. Many times in life, I’ve been guided by those who disagreed w me, sometimes seeing their point and sometimes solidifying my own because of it. It’s invaluable to seek input from others. I’d been lost long ago on a lonely island without corrective input from others.

I find the hi res files of the new Sgt Pepper to be gorgeous, detailed, eye popping, live and like a musical journey.

I rarely ever listen to it without listening to the album in the whole; it flows.

I listen to the outtakes as singles and enjoy them individually.

I enjoy, especially when others point out to listen to something specific. Example: Ringo rim shot on the drum. This is incredible detail reproduction!

I’m glad some enjoy their vinyl. It would be a huge expense for me right now to get the equipment and collecting. I can’t but it’s grrat for those who embrace the warm sound. I think it’s obtsinablr thru hi res and high quality equipment.

I listen to Sgt Pepper thru hi quality DAC and headphones and it is other worldly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.