What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Were going to to on about something, and on and on. LOL

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  2. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I don't mind the new mix. Great in the car or in the back yard two places that I find the George Martin Stereo mixes a little too separated due to my orientation to the speakers. I don't listen to music very loud so the bringing forward of things in the mix tends to work for me.
    I do enjoy the Steven Wilson remixes more with the exception of Brave which brings the voice and bass forward but even at low volume in a distracting way in a few areas. There are some parts of his mix that are great however and look forward to him doing a few more.
    If I buy a remix I want it to be different like the mono and stereo version of the White Album. Otherwise add clarity to a mix like Steven Wilson did with Jethro Tull and Yes. To me this new mix of St Pepper does a bit of both.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

2017 SPLHCB remix us the kind of mix you could blast at a block party or backyard barbecue.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve said here many times knowing how loud one listens to music as their eqpt profile.

FWIW, I generally listen to music fairly loud and I can’t get through the new mix in it’s entirety.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This is Brickwalling 101.

Cassius, vonwegen and MicJames like this.
  6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Actually, if it were only about people respectfully saying that they personally don't care for the new remix and wish it had been approached differently, then that would be perfectly okay. And these threads, unlike me, would be much more succinct. :)

But it's always a 1001 other reasons frequently cited as to why the remix is "garbage" - it ruins the original psych feel, it ruins the elements of the original stereo, it ruins the elements of the original mono, it is not what the band intended, it didn't need "fixing" to begin with, now we are "stuck" with this mix as a default and not the originals, and on and on, and none of those have anything to do why the remix was even made. What's wrong with just respectfully saying "I really like this" or "I can respect why others like it but I don't". :)

TStewart422, Tuco, Beatle Ed and 2 others like this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Of course, there's nothing wrong with giving reasons why someone may or may not like it. That makes for a discussion forum rather than a poll.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    marcb and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  8. Imagine John Lennon with no possessions.

ohnothimagen, NYMets41 and DRM like this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Oh, thanks. I must be in the wrong place.

I was looking for Forum Posting 101.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I have to blame Giles. Again. Early on talking about the Beatles music sounding old and, over and over again, showing disdain by using the phrase the Socks and Sandals Brigade. He brought up factors such as mono...modernized...young people...etc. He defined and framed the discussion from the very beginning. Some like it for certain reasons and some don't for certain reasons. No one should be surprised or overly offended.

Cassius and gja586 like this.
  11. If I Can Dream_23

Absolutely. That would be welcomed. As mentioned, it's giving reasons that have nothing to do with why the remix was even made that cause the bewilderment.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, but even if a comment doesn't factor that at all...it's still legitimate to have a certain opinion about any intended or...unintended sound consequence that has resulted.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  13. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, there would be no issues with that.

DRM likes this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

How involved Giles is...or is not...involved in any possible 2018 White Album project will be, to some degree, a reflection of Apple's assessment of who was or was not pleased with the Peppers remix and if that's the audience they want to target in 2018. Unless they offer a mixed bag White Album duplex product...trying to please everyone and knowing some Beatles fans will buy ANYTHING Beatles. I don't want to ban remixes, but am offering an opinion that is not bound by anybody's convenient strict rules about what I can opine about...

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I keep hearing engineers like Giles talking about the old guard and the new guard/kids of today. He's worried that today's youth cannot sit still for two minutes, can't comprehend subtle stuff so it all has to be hammered right in front of them, etc.

I can only go by my three kids and their friends. I spend many hours with them and I know this. When they listen to music (mainly in the car) they lose interest fast when the music is brickwalled. I mean, within a minute. But when I play an original dynamic old mix of the same music, they listen all the way through. Young people aren't stupid, ears are ears, set something on stun and it turns the brain off within a few minutes. Sad but true. To get someone young to pay attention, don't hammer the person with a monotone drone sound. That will never work, ever.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Very well stated. And a critically important TRUTH...communicated powerfully and quite persuasively by your timely and on the mark post. Nailed it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    vonwegen likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Forcing the kids to listen because you're driving doesn't count.

I also have three kids and they think the old man is out of his mind.

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Steve, what do you think of the new mastering of the original mono mix vs. the 2009 mastering on the mono box? DR numbers are very different, but supposedly that's due to different EQ not compression.

19. Steve Hoffman

I just have the mono CD box. Sounds nothing like the Parlophone mono vinyl but why should it?

20. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

That said Steve, do you like the 2009 mono box? I do, and find it fairly flat... YAY!!!

21. Steve Hoffman

I like it but it sounds unmastered, good for me, not good for most people who want magic.

22. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Same here.

Is anyone else happy the 65 stereo mixes of “Help!” and “Rubber Soul” are unmastered in the mono box rather than compressed with jacked up low end in the stereo box?

longdist01, jmxw and Joy-of-radio like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Thankful and grateful.

24. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

What is “brickwalled”?

Is the music in the car from radio?

I’m curious as to the difference of the two musics— Could someone give me an example? I’d like to try w my kids

I must be really old.

25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Dynamically compressed to the point where the soundwaves of every song is maxxed out from beginning to end, sausage-shaped - or like a brick wall. Almost all CDs from 1998 onwards have this sonic blight that ruins the music on them, usually applied during mastering, but also done during mixes sometimes, which means the blight cannot be undone later by remastering.

NYMets41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.