What happened to Blu-ray Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by floyd, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My point was that putting a set of music on one blu-ray may be a good idea. I agree that it wouldn't cost 50 or 60 dollars for 60 cds.

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Are you sure, i had a test amp that lit up the hd lamp when receiving pcm from a bluray player through coaxial...

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's now groundhog day in some utopian reality universe.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Coax can handle higher resolution PCM than Toslink from my understanding.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes it would be nice. But IMO they generally wouldn't sell well for several reasons (which IMO is one reason why you don't/won't see it often for material still under copyright protection).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It’s like SACD. It’s not a hardware limitation, it’s a licensing and software restriction.

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I’m not sure about the Oppo 105, but on my 205 I can play a self-made BD data disc of FLAC or WAV files, and if the files are in the same folder on the disc, they will play gaplessly (truly gapless, I can’t detect any track transition artifacts at all). Of coirse the player will also do this playing an attached USB thumb or hard drive.

8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The reason it is gapless is because it us likely burned disc at once which is a "continuous groove" of data unlike MP3's which are independent files.

Coax can and does send full resolution, along with RCA. The key is like you said....self made.

Not constructive and worse completely oblivious to how prices are coming down already.

Can you please explain how remastered $15 dollar cd's are selling for as little as 2 or 3 dolars in 5 years gap? Why would the same content not sell for half when most of the packaging is gone in a few more years?

I am keeping tabs on your predictions that it will never happen. ;)

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

There are a few Pure Audio BluRays I'd love to have but they are often to expensive. $30 for Kind of Blue, as an example, is just silly money. My local shop only has a handful and they aren't what I'm interested in. Maybe the Solti Ring. as it would be nice to have it on one disc.

10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Well, it’s possible some manufacturers don’t play by the rules.:rolleyes: As others say this is a licensing rather than hardware restriction. Optical can generally handle 96K / 24 bit (sometimes 192K / 24 bit but this seems to be inconsistent) and coaxial 192K / 24 bit.

I’ve certainly heard of players that output high resolution from DVDA via optical / coaxial, and that’s not meant to happen either due to licensing restrictions.

If I play a BD with a 96K / 24 bit stereo track on my Oppo 103D I get 48K / 16 bit from the coaxial according to my amp. If I play the same track ripped from the BD, but played back from a USB stick I get 96K / 24 bit. I’ll have to dig out a DVDA and see what happens.

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

My Primare BD32 (same as Oppo 93) does stereo DVD-Audio upto 24/192 over Optical and Coaxial but Blu-ray is limited to 16/48. Using an HDMI de-embedder I can get stereo 24/192 for Blu-ray over Optical and Coaxial. I haven't tried multi channel.

I believe the later Oppo's also limited DVD-Audio but I don't have one to say for sure.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Eventually everything will come in some super mega deluxe box with a 5.1 blu-ray. Save up.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No, it’s quite a bit more complicated than that

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No. But DVD in general has a much lower data flow rate than Bluray, around 10 MB/s for DVD compared to up to 50 MB/s for Bluray.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

Yes - come to think of it I think my Emu 1212M sends 96/24 over optical as well. The Emu is a prosumer audio device though so if there are consumer based limitations they wouldn't apply.

scobb likes this.
  16. PhilBiker

That's why they needed MLP for it for multichannel hi-rez, right?

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I can confirm. I was able to output 192kHz (stereo) from DVD-A via Coax with an Oppo BDP-93, but with the BDP-103 it's limited to 48kHz.

Since I have now ripped all my hi-rez discs, I no longer care about these stupid restrictions.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    PhilBiker, scobb and Sevoflurane like this.
  18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Disc at once is not gapless? Mp3's aren't separate files? Whatever you say boss.

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

A data disc will not necessarily play data files (containing music) gaplessly; if you doubt that, try it on your computer or CD player :D

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Disc at once is a mode. Nothing to do with data mp3 or wav or whatever.

However true joined wav files in a container (like bluray/DVD/redbook CD format) work very similar to the continuous nature of a "groove".

So yes a smart encode mp3 quality can absolutely be done in a bluray container to produce gapless playback because the files are no longer truly independant from each other and no longer require a decode. mp3 by design is never truly gapless for obvious reasons. Apple does it with buffering, not on the fly.

My example stands as I stated. Oversimplified...depends on your point of view. I say Dirk Diggler razor sharp neon that can cut you dead on decription.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As far as "What happened to Blu-ray Audio?" I'm not overly concerned as I sit here listening to Tom Petty's Mojo Blu-ray Audio :). Sounds excellent in 5.1 DTS-HD MA that's what's happening here :righton:! At times some here tend to over analyze stuff like this.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You still don’t get it, but that’s OK, it’s a somewhat esoteric situation with no applicability for most people, even people here at this forum.

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I guess I don't get it, but it is like two pocket protectors doing some high five's. Most just go to sleep.

For me, when I make a "Complete" MP3 disc that mirrors my blurays for my wife's car I have to merge tracks that otherwise would be disc at once on my bluray. It is not a big deal, but annoying with numbering. Thankfully I got a program to fix that and once it is burned (like say complete Led Zeppelin) it really isn't changing. Recently did complete Metallica, and if they put out new material, just chuck the old disc and do it again. With as slow as most release albums it isn't a big deal.

My bluray of he complete Roth Van Halen is simply perfect. No other way to hear that band but chronological...like most worth their salt. Black Sabbath is another (Ozzy only).

The best bluray I have is my converted 192khz/24bit converted Rubber Soul-Pet Sounds-Sgt. Pepper-Smile Sessions (edited to reflect a better listening experience) from the LP's. I play that constantly!

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So when I try to play a DVD audio or blu Ray audio without my projector on I get no audio. Any ideas how to correct this problem?Obviously turning on the projector is not really a good permanent solution. I have a basic $120 Sony blu Ray player that I bought around 7 years ago.

25. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not sure if this will help, but I have had a similar issue in the past. Sometimes changing the input on my pre-pro to something else and then back again to the disc player resolves this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.