What hifi item did you enjoy buying the most?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello music lovers

Before I start .....Yes I do know a component is only as good as the sum of it's parts.

In 35 years there were many things I have purchased hifi wise but I am trying to think what component I got the most enjoyment in buying.

I'm sure we all know the feeling , you seen it, you heard it, you wanted it, you splashed out there and then or you took your time considered , saved & done it. Even the day you got it made you excited & better still it matched or even exceed expectations in your home when set it up?

So many have given me that "hifi high" which you all know I'm talking about which makes Xmas day seem like a Monday morning in comparison but I guess for me way back in 1986 when I was 19 buying a pair of Mission 770f speakers to go with my Dual 505/Nad 3020/ Hitachi DAD 8000 Cd player . It was only 3 years before I was at school told off by teachers , being told I would amount to nothing & now I had these solid massive speakers which I paid for with my own money in my first serious job!!!

I played Kate Bush Hounds of Love, Little Creatures Talking Heads, David Bowie Low, Pil Metal Box & was blown away by it.

Please tell me yours recent or past , does not matter thanks.

Mlle. Aurora and Gasman1003 like this.
  2. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Mt first separates system when I was a teen. Mac 2105, MR73, MQ101, C28.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  3. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

My first ever Hi Fi - a pocket AM radio when I was 14

sami, Gasman1003 and BuddhaBob like this.
  4. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

When I got my first decent pair of speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.1. I think that's when I realized spending a bit more could produce a significant increase in my musical listening pleasure.

Gasman1003 and FLEMKE like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Small Advents. I felt like I'd graduated.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  6. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I ran to the UPS truck when I knew he had my Empire 598 II on board in April, '73. Listening to it now. :)

Gasman1003, arar and nm_west like this.
  7. My first real turntable-Thorens TD160.
    Still going strong after almost 40 yrs.

8. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Nakamichi Dragon. 'nuff said.

ben_wood, Dan DRC, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The first Sony MZ1 mini disc recorder, I thought that the format was so cool

BuddhaBob likes this.
  10. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

My first Squeezebox 3 (Classic) in 2005. Opened up the convenience and quality of lossless streaming around the house. Music collection really took off after that. Still have a collection of SB devices around the house and can't imagine replacing this 'system' any time soon!

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Definitely my Vandersteens. It took me forever to find them, like almost three years of comparative listening. Part of that was having lost my turntable, and having to make do with a portable CD player for four years.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

FM Acoustics 611 amp and 244 preamp + FM cables. This was the grail at the time; early 90s. It's still considered some of the best out there in certain places in the world like in the Far East. I was elated to have it. I worked very hard and saved up a lot to get it. I had it for 12-13 years, when I had to sell for financial reasons. It wasn't a total loss. I was able to buy a nice used car and pay my rent for a year or so. :)

Also, at the end of 2012, the JBL S4700 speakers. My first serious set of speakers. I didn't like them at first, but now with a lot of break in, they sound great. I'm not planning on selling anytime soon! :)

Gasman1003 likes this.
  13. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Definitely an EBay win this year of the Quad 909 power amp. Looked to be the perfect match to my speakers... and has proved the case these last 6 months. Never has the human voice sounded as true to my ears.

The enjoyment is extended as I've not seen one go for as little as I paid since :p

Gasman1003 likes this.
  14. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

A stereo system I purchased back when I was 16. I worked all summer to save up for it. That was the most enjoyable. I still use the speakers today, the receiver recently died.

Quark and Gasman1003 like this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

my first tube amp... A promise I made myself when I was a teen, a factory wired Dynaco St70. We've been thru a lot together and its not been an everyday player in a long time but its been kept up well and still sees regular use. You never forget your first

sushimaster and Gasman1003 like this.
  16. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Back in 1984 went to Stereo Sound Studios and my order was placed with Klipsch in Hope Arkansas to build a pair of Cornwalls in lacquered walnut with Cain grill covers. Six weeks later they arrived, it was a feeling of joy and some partying I'll never forget!

struttincool, Dan DRC and Gasman1003 like this.
  17. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Every amplifier I've ever purchased. From the Sherwood I had as a young teen to the Denon in college to the Jolida in my 30s to my current Audio Note. I remember them more fondly than any other components, and the dealers were uniformly helpful.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I just bought a restored Thorens 150 turntable from Vinyl Nirvana.Getting back into vinyl has been something I`ve really been wanting to do but for a very long time but just got around to it now.I kept putting it off because I was worried about having to do everything the right way to get the most out of vinyl.I`m still confused about all the setting up,cleaning,and storing ect and worried I`ll ruin my records or system by doing something wrong.
    Still,listening to records again has been so much fun it`s ridiculous,I love it!:D
    This has to be my biggest audiophile life changing event,I`m happy.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    betweentheears and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  19. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

This:

[​IMG]

Thorens TD 160 BC & SME 3009 arm.
    Bought in 1980, with money I earned during my summer holiday job whilst a student.
    Still going strong today.

Edit - recently upgraded with Ortifon 2M Bronze cartridge, a really nice match on my modest system.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

As long as your tonearm and cart are set up properly, you've got nothing to worry about.
    The only thing I've found to damage records is a worn stylus - especially a worn line contact stylus.
    But since you bought from Vinyl Nirvana, I'd bet you've got the right stuff.

steveharris and Gasman1003 like this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Gorgeous.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  22. Gasman1003

Thanks, we've been through an awful lot together, even if I could afford a replacement I couldn't do it, still sounds fine.

In daily use following a lay-off and recent service.

I love these Thorens Turntables.

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Quark, adamdube, Mlle. Aurora and 4 others like this.
  24. Gasman1003

25. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Not a single item but the set: as a youngster, straight from high school to the local pulp factory - three shift work - meant more cash than being a gofer or somesuch, substancially more. So that summer I was able to buy my first genuine HiFi set, A Salora Ortoperspekta receiver, three speakers and the Connoisseur turntable. That was the biggest improvement in entertainment electronics I've ever got.

motorcitydave and Gasman1003 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.