What if "With the Beatles" had featured all original material?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and so did Mommy & Daddy...

musicfan37 and Michael P like this.
  2. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Again? Move on, there's nothing for you to see here

Hardy Melville likes this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    musicfan37 likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Why? Because we are forced to see these "new" Beatles threads come up here every day when there's so much exciting new music to discover. John L. certainly wouldn't approve! :evil:

bob60 likes this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always had mixed feelings about the inclusion of Till There Was You on WTB/MTB. On the one hand, it is pure pop sop, and I tend to agree it was kind of cynical, as was A Taste Of Honey before it. But ignoring McCartney's sappy vocal delivery ("...then there was mewwwwsik, and wonderful roses...") and the incredibly dopey lyric, there's Harrison on acoustic guitar, which for me makes all the difference. I don't skip it for that reason.

musicfan37 and Elliottmarx like this.
  6. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I think the covers lend both diversity and mood changes that keep the album a more interesting and engaging listen. The proposed OP tracklist starts to feel like an early greatest hits. Track for track it is better but sequencing and the resulting mood/tempo changes are what makes the officially released album such a fantastic listen.

Hermes likes this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Who knew The Beatles invented cover versions! :D

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

With The Beatles is perfect as it is.....

9. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Say what you will about Dave Dexter (because he really did bastardize the fidelity of the songs after receiving them at the Capitol Tower), but the man knew how to put together some very good Capitol collections.

Beatles Second Album is one of my favorite collections of music.

To further that conversation, Capitol did a fine job with collections like Meet The Beatles (another Dexter collection), Rubber Soul (my favorite running order of the album versus the UK), and Yesterday...and Today.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s easy if you try.

Hermes, Ram4, musicfan37 and 2 others like this.
  11. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I have no problem with Dave Dexter. First, as we are discussing, the sequencing is great.
    The opening 1-2-3 shot of With The Beatles changed my DNA.
    I also love the reverb added to Beatles Second Album...especially the stereo. I grew up with the Capitol albums. The UK mixes of Postman, Money, etc sound weak and thin to me.

Hardy Melville, wiseblood and 905 like this.
  12. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

You aren't forced to do anything! You can, for example, log off the forum and never see a Beatles thread ever again! :D

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How about the dry UK mix of She’s A Woman - yuck.

Michael Macrone and Ram4 like this.
  14. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

The US stereo She’s a Woman is...is...is....
    Heavy. Love it!

Ram4 and 905 like this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Oh, you poor baby! Your life truly does suck. Maybe we can take up a collection for you to ease your unbearable pain and misery.

Upwards of 90 percent of the threads on this forum I'm "forced" to see every day hold no interest for me. But somehow, through dint of maximum effort, I'm able to ignore those threads, visit the ones I do care about, and get on with my life.

16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Don't you guys ever get bored with these endless discussions about a band who broke up nearly half a century ago?

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Birmingham, November 10th, 1963

notesfrom likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Well it’s much better than another “list” thread or “(fill in the blank) is the greatest song EVER!” thread.
    And cuz we like The Beatles! So there!

Dan The Man1 and janschfan like this.
  19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Let me answer your question with a question: how does what other people take pleasure in discussing on a music board impact your life in any way?

I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that there could be anything to say about many of the artists or albums that have threads devoted to them on this forum. I'm willing to bet that I would feel this way about the majority of artists who are important to you.

Yet somehow I've found a way to live with this and not let it trouble me, and also to not presume to look askance at what gives other people pleasure.

This extends to many other walks of life. (Ex. — You like NASCAR? Really???)

I would never in real life actually say what is in parentheses above to anyone. I just figure people are different, and go on my way.

You oughtta try it sometime.

20. or what if Ringo had no hands.

notesfrom and Elliottmarx like this.
  21. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

I agree that Meet the Beatles is their only American album that's better than the U.K. It's not just nostalgia either, since I heard the U.K. releases long before any of the U.S.

Mark E. Moon and Michael like this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Very informative post in relation to the thread.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Dr. Robert likes this.
  24. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

All the covers on Please Please Me and With The Beatles are glorious to my ears.

25. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Exactly. Let’s use it as motivation to come with more Beatles themed threads. :p

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.