What is considered the best version of the Get Back LP or sessions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

With all this very negative talk about the upcoming stripped down Let It Be package, I am quickly losing interest in purchasing it.

SO, I was wondering what those of you with mass quantities of Beatles "grey market" discs could tell me about the various Get Back discs that are available.

Track listings and sound quality is what we're looking for here.

The Free As A Boot FAAB Web site lists no less than about 75 different Get Back CDs including the 26 volume Get Back Sessions By Day set. Even though I consider myself a fairly big Beatles fan, that's a bit much for me. I'm looking to find out what are the best,two or maybe 3 discs containing what was considered for the original lineup of the Get Back album, as well as a good rooftop sessions disc.

FAAB also lists 4 or 5 Let It Be discs including rooftop sessions stuff.

Bootleg Zone lists some 50 Get Back discs with some cross-over from the FAAB list.

I suspect that probably of all the titles I just read through, the Dr. Ebbetts - Get Back - original version and Get Back - 2nd Glyn John's mix would be considered the best?

Currently in my collection I only have one LP from around 1970, called More Get Back Sessions. It's horrible. Sounds like it was mastered through an mono AM radio. Speeds are all wrong, very slow in places.

The only Get Back CD I have is from those Russian twofer discs that were released in 2000 by CD Maximum. It's reported that this disc is the Glyn John's first mix. I find the sound quality so-so.

Track listing:

1. One After 909 - "Roof-Concert" - Jan. 30
    2. Don't Let Me Down - Jan. 22 - Outtake from the Let It Be album.
    3. Dig A Pony - Jan. 22 - Other take (Ed. whatever that means :confused: )
    4. I've Got A Feeling - Jan. 22 - Heavy version
    5. Get Back - Jan. 28 - Roots-track from longer single version. Diff. take than the shorter Let It Be album version.
    6. For You Blue - Jan. 25 - Same take (6) as the Let It Be version but longer with more false starts.
    7. Teddy Boy - Jan. 24 - Outtake
    8. Two Of Us - Jan. 24 - Same as the Let It Be version but the roots - track.
    9. Dig It - Jan. 26 - A long part from a 12.25 min. session in Stereo. This part is taken from 8.52 to 9.41 min.
    10. Let It Be - Jan. 31 - Take 27, same take as the Let It Be version, without orchestra.
    11. The Long And Winding Road - Jan. 31 - Take 19, same as the Let It Be version, without orchestra.

Mike Richards

p.s. There is to be NO discussion of where to purchase these
    Get Back discs. Also NO discussion about CD-R trading. :)

Attached Files:

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Let me add to Mike's p.s.

NO links to bootleg sites, please.

Thanks!

mud-

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Best? I have NO idea.
    Wouldn't it be nice if.... the new CD looked like this??

Attached Files:

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a CD called Let It Be, Phil which consists of non-Spectorized alternate versions of the Let It Be album. I really enjoy it. It was put together (by an unknown person) from the 17 CD "Thirty Days" set more than a year ago. Let It Be..naked isn't even a new idea!

About sound quality please don't forget that much of the "Get Back" sessions were only recorded on mono Nagra machines running at 7 1/2 ips.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The stuff by Vigotone is about as good as it gets. His "As Nature Intended" disc features the first Glynn Johns version, along with the complete rooftop show. And his "Get Back: The Final Glynn Johns Compilation" obviously contains exactly what the title says, along with two versions of Teddy Boy tacked on as bonus tracks. Sound is better on the latter of these two. Either of these is a fine model for what LIB-Naked could have been. As I've said before, instead of sending the Viggy guy to jail, Apple should have hired him.

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

The WBCN radio version is a cool you are there CD, taken from the original broadcast.
    What is the martin mix? I have one mix of Get Back that is titled as such when it is obvious that George Martinnever had anything to do with it.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Rob, don't believe everything you read on those bootlegs.

mud-:D

8. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

You've got that right. Just seems strange that someone would subtitle it The Martin Mix. Either they didnt know anything or they were trying to pull the wool as they say.

9. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I have found that a CD released on Yellow Dog called GET BACK and 22 other songs really has much of what I would call the best sounding versions or mixes that I think use what could be rightfully called a Let It Be...Naked type of sound that I would be hoping for the new release to be like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.